The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2002, 06:08 PM   #1
AZ68

Post I dare any of you !

hope that got your attn : so often i will find that a question I ask, or others goes without reply : why is that? my questions have merit. we should really try and stick to topic or at least make an effort to reply to real questions for our trucks--- I would like to know if any body knows the proper vacuum routing for the 68 factory a/c - please help its getting hotter each day in Phoenix

AZ68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:12 PM   #2
69 longhorn

D@mn ,thats tough passin up a DARE! My teenage brat dares me all the time! But I have to pass,I cant help with AC stuff. Good luck........69
Old 05-12-2002, 06:22 PM   #3
Gordo

Smile

I reply to a topic when I feel I can deliever the right answer (allthough some may argue that buts that's cool). I guess it depends who's on line at that time with the knowledge and wisdom to help. You can always go "ttt" and try again. I don't have the answer to your question but I'm sure someone will.

------------------
1971 C10 swb stepside 350/700R4/3.73posi
Killingworth, Connecticut
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:29 PM   #4
69 longhorn

Sorry if my "humor " was a little too dry, it was not an attemt to be a smart@ss.....just had to jest a little about a dare.........69
Old 05-12-2002, 06:40 PM   #5
AZ68

I dont wear my emotions on my sleeve. no apology needed. just looking for some wisdom ( 67 to 72 wisdom that is)

AZ68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:44 PM   #6
ebfabman

It should not be to hard to figure out by looking at an original truck. My truck is an a/c truck but I think I'm going to do some updating of the factory setup.

Have you seen whats in the cowl vents. I cut my cowl sides open to find a ton of junk.
I think I'm going to seal up the vents and use recirculated cab air for the heat and a/c.
Any ideas???

[This message has been edited by ebfabman (edited May 12, 2002).]
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:44 PM   #7
tom hand
CCRider

I will respond to this just because of the dare. I just went and looked at every book I have and none have that info listed. But I will try and help anyway. There are just a few items operated by vacuum on the A/C so it can't be that hard to figure out. First the is a can or "ball" depending on your year truck. This should be hooked to a manifold vacuum. From there the vacuum hose should be hooked to the vacuum "switch" that is on the A/C control. From the switch there are three items that need to be controled. One is the heater control valve,under the hood on the fender well. It should turn off the water to the heater when the A/c is on. Second is the flap under the cowl,which controls when the A/C gets fresh air from outside. The third is the vent on the passnger side and it works in conjuntion with the flap outside,probably controled by the same port on the switch. Now you can use so simple items to figure out what goes where. First run a vacuum hose from a manifold vacuum on the intake to the can or ball,from there run the vacuum hose to the A/c control there is a little vacuum control switch on the back. Now operate the control and see which ports recieve vacuum when you put the control in different positions. This should help you figure out what goes where. On the vacuum control switch there are just 4 hoses so if you cannot figure out what is what just buy extra long hoses and switch them till it works right. If my math is correct there are only 16 possibilites so that will give you some thing to do on a weekend. Hope I helped some. GOOD LUCK!

------------------
72 GMC Sierra SWB almost finished---- 84 Softail
Olive Branch MS

Old 05-12-2002, 10:34 PM   #8
primer67
Account Suspended

I know a guy who installs aftermarket a/c on old trucks like ours, if you don't figure it out, give me a call, and i'll get you his number.
primer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 10:44 PM   #9
ebfabman

I have installed many aftermarket a/c units. There are some great ones available, but I found the factory incorporated ones are much more quiet for the same amout of air movement. just my thoughts, any others?
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote