The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
pokethesmot
profeshinaly unimployed

exhaust fix ideas

i have stock duals on my truck and the passenger side exhaust pipe has rusted through and broken. I looked at the driver side and it looks like it had the same problem but the past owner fixed it all the guy did is put a piece of exhaust pipe over the broken part and clamped it into place since its stock exhaust tubing then i think its 2 1/4 but now what size tubing do i need to fit over the pipe and clamp into place

"having mud flaps is like asking for a smaller trophy"

Last edited by pokethesmot; 01-04-2009 at 01:08 AM.
pokethesmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
dooce

Re: exhaust fix ideas

what?!

LFSalleeII@gmail.com
dooce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
BusinessProfessor

What I generally do is this:
a. cut the bad section out
b. get the next larger size, which would be 2.5
c. slide the new piece over the old using the cut out section ends
d. clamp down on the two ends--give enough overlap to clamp on a secure piece of the old pipe and to prevent 'fall-out'(pipe falling off)

Used this system on my Imperial until I could afford a new exhaust system.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
pokethesmot
profeshinaly unimployed

i found a really cheap h pipe and i was wondering could i tighten a 3inch pipe down far enough to fit on a 2.25 or a 2.5 pipe

Old 01-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
BusinessProfessor

This might work only if you add a spacer pipe before you clamp down. In the past I have found that clamping down when you have more than a 1/4 of an inch between the two surfaces, you squeeze the pipe out of round. This gives you a big exhaust leak.

I would also like to say that this is only for a temporary repair. How long the repair lasts seems to be 'an act of God!'
Old 01-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
BusinessProfessor

Just went back and checked my notes. If the space does not allow you to use another pipe as filler between the smaller and larger pipe; I used muffler bandage as a filler. This allows for compression without causing the pies to be out of round. What led me to the bandage material was simple. When I used, now forgive the picture, cut aluminum soda cans as filler--they didn't clamp down tight enough. This caused, again, an exhaust leak!

Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I only have one real question----At what point do you want to end the cobbling of the exhaust system? That question followed by this: Are you beyond the cash to go for new exhaust piping? If so, then tear down the old system to the point of solid pipe and get the same size exhaust pipe and either purchase a swedged piece that fits over one and into another (most auto parts outlets have them) OR have the new exhaust piece swedged out to slide over what you have on the truck. I truly hate a leaking exhaust system, it is dangerous in the winter months---I know you Southern Boys don't really have cold weather, but we do. A muffler shop sometimes can make you what you want in less time and at a lower price than buying stuff of of the shelf in a store. Are you absolutely sure that the truck was a factory dual rig?

Been to Georgia---know what it is like.

I would make it right or suffer the noisy exhaust gas influx to the cab---your choice.

Last edited by piecesparts; 01-04-2009 at 12:38 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
pokethesmot
profeshinaly unimployed

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
I only have one real question----At what point do you want to end the cobbling of the exhaust system? That question followed by this: Are you beyond the cash to go for new exhaust piping? If so, then tear down the old system to the point of solid pipe and get the same size exhaust pipe and either purchase a swedged piece that fits over one and into another (most auto parts outlets have them) OR have the new exhaust piece swedged out to slide over what you have on the truck. I truly hate a leaking exhaust system, it is dangerous in the winter months---I know you Southern Boys don't really have cold weather, but we do. A muffler shop sometimes can make you what you want in less time and at a lower price than buying stuff of of the shelf in a store. Are you absolutely sure that the truck was a factory dual rig?

I would make it right or suffer the noisy exhaust gas influx to the cab---your choice.
well this is just a temp fix cuz my truck is extremely loud and i don't wanna get pulled over

Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
84 400
Sb 400 club

I should get some pics of mine. You wanna talk about cobbled... and I did. The Reason mine is cobbled is because the cost of a new system. I am trying to get my truck inspected and need it on the road ASAP. my Y pipe is crushed and torn with bandaid....... If you have a freind with a welder that is the best route. Heck some exhaust shops will weld in a patch for real cheap.

Ahh I will have to get some pictures so you all can have a good laugh......
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
pokethesmot
profeshinaly unimployed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 400 View Post
I should get some pics of mine. You wanna talk about cobbled... and I did. The Reason mine is cobbled is because the cost of a new system. I am trying to get my truck inspected and need it on the road ASAP. my Y pipe is crushed and torn with bandaid....... If you have a freind with a welder that is the best route. Heck some exhaust shops will weld in a patch for real cheap.

Ahh I will have to get some pictures so you all can have a good laugh......
yeah i hear ya about the new system i got school to go to so im just trying think of a quick fix till i can redo the whole system witch i fixed my problem...exhaust tape lol

Old 01-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
pokethesmot
profeshinaly unimployed

well also while looking under my truck i noticed the owner before me put cherry bomb turbos on so im kinda happy

Old 01-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #12
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I still think tha tyou can get the same size pipe and get it swelled on the appropriate ends to slide over the old pipe. That beats trying to doober in a 3" pipe to fit onto a 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 pipe.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
84 400
Sb 400 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post

Just wondering why it is more dangerous in Northern/ Colder climates??
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

I would just make it work the best you can until you can get the whole exhaust replaced and done the right way.
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 400 View Post
Just wondering why it is more dangerous in Northern/ Colder climates??
If you have a leaking exhaust and you are driving a vehicle with the windows rolled up and the heater on. The exhaust fumes can build up in the cab and from that pooint you don't care anyways. Seen it happen in an old truck in one of my good old Midwest winters.