The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
OrangeAnimal

Ideas for bumpers?

I need to get some bumpers. Where is a good place to go for them? I also need the brackets. I have been looking online but there are so many places to get them from. I was wondering if anyone had experience dealing with a particular company that provided a good price and a good product. Thanks
OrangeAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
chevyrestoguy

Re: Ideas for bumpers?

Most of the aftermarket stuff is so crappy, it might be better to go to the wrecking yard and get a nice original bumper and have it rechromed.

The original stuff is thicker, the stampings are more precise, and they fit like they're supposed to. Nothing is worse that taking a brand new aftermarket part and tweaking it just to make it fit decent. Do a search for "LMC bumpers" and see what the comments are. I remember right after Christmas, somebody here on the site got a bumper from LMC and was very disappointed.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
jdurant

Agreed. You could probably find front and the rear "sport" bumper on a suburban that don't need to be rechromed, but if I were gonna rechrome, I would weld some bolts to the back and shave those bumper bolts.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I dont know what kind of truck or look youre going for but my buddy who has a F350CC made his own bumper that looks great.. if you want i can get pics

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
OrangeAnimal

I am doing this as a "sport" truck. I was afraid most everyone is going to say that most of the ones they had seen were thin and crappy. That is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I will try some local wrecking yards and see what I come up with but I am not holding my breath.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Pyrotechnic

I first bought a standard sport bumper from LMC. It was about as good as chromed beer can compared to the original as far as thickness. The chrome was terrible and would rust if you turned your head for a second.

I bought one of their new "Premium" bumpers and it's very close in weight to the original, and the chrome is much more durable. Also has a warranty on the chrome.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

maybe you should search FEY bumpers... I dont know if they have what youre looking for but ive used them for step bumpers on my work trucks and have never had a problem with them holding up

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I got the premium front bumper from LMC. Chrome looks great and it felt the same weight as the old bumper. They also have the only bumpers I could find with a 5 year warranty. The goodmark ones look good but have no warranty. When I buy my rear sport bumper later on I'll buy it from LMC since I like the front one so good. If you buy bumper bolts from them (the round head ones you can see) they weren't as shiny as the bumper, but a little bit of flitz and a few minutes of buffing and they matched up to the bumper's finish.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 02-03-2009 at 10:19 PM.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
OrangeAnimal

I think based on most peoples opinion and from what I have seen I will stick with one from LMC. I actually ordered a catalog from them but it never came. It's been a month.