The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Painter D

How to get more brake pressure?

My problem is that there doesn't seem to be enough pressure to the front (disks). What I mean is the truck will stop "ok" but not as good as I think it should. In other words I hope some kid never runs out in front of me. Anyways no matter what speed I am at or how hard I push the pedal the front wheels won't lock up. Shouldn't they lock up at some point? Is there any tricks to achieve more pressure?

It's got new rotors, new calipers, new disk,drum prop. valve, new hoses, new MC, New booster ,and a new adj. proportioning valve on the rear line. I've bled them several times and the pushrod is the propper length.

I've been driving the truck like this for 2 years without issue, I'm just wanting a little more pressure up front. Any suggestions?

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: How to get more brake pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevyshort View Post
My problem is that there doesn't seem to be enough pressure to the front (disks). What I mean is the truck will stop "ok" but not as good as I think it should. In other words I hope some kid never runs out in front of me. Anyways no matter what speed I am at or how hard I push the pedal the front wheels won't lock up. Shouldn't they lock up at some point? Is there any tricks to achieve more pressure?

It's got new rotors, new calipers, new disk,drum prop. valve, new hoses, new MC, New booster ,and a new adj. proportioning valve on the rear line. I've bled them several times and the pushrod is the propper length.

I've been driving the truck like this for 2 years without issue, I'm just wanting a little more pressure up front. Any suggestions?
I've heard your motor in person. With that 'lumpy' cam, my 1st suggestion would be to put a vacuum gauge to the manifold & see how much vacuum is there for the power booster. Little to no vacuum means little to no assist. . ... or, brakes that feel inadequate.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
el curioso

hydroboost...
Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Painter D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I've heard your motor in person. With that 'lumpy' cam, my 1st suggestion would be to put a vacuum gauge to the manifold & see how much vacuum is there for the power booster. Little to no vacuum means little to no assist. . ... or, brakes that feel inadequate.
As common as that is I don't know why I didn't think of that. (DUH) I do have a pretty healthy cam in it. I'll try the vacuum guage and see where I'm at.

Any guess on how much vacuum would be adequate?

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevyshort View Post

Any guess on how much vacuum would be adequate?
Seems I've read that you need more than 15in vacuum to have adequate pressure. The hydra-boost is one way; a small GM electric vacuum pump is another (80's - 90's Cadillacs used them).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote