The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
monte0185

Quick Question

What is the min and max temps on our stock temperature gauge? The reason I ask is you can buy aftermarket temp sensors. I was thinking of trying one since I cant find a soution i like to the vortec head situation.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
monte0185

Re: Quick Question

Anyone???

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
monte0185

Come on guys and Gals. Nobody knows what the temp gauge on these trucks is supposed to be for high and low? Is low maybe a 100 and high 240 or 250 maybe? I really need this info if you know it. I think I may have a way to fix the vortec head temp gauge issue. Even the ohms on the sender might work if you know those too.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
monte0185

Ttt

Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
WorkinLonghorn

I've never seen it stated anywhere what the exact value is at "H" and I don't think those gauges were ever intended to be too accurate. "H" means you're too hot. My guess, 250?
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 04-16-2009 at 05:58 PM.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
monte0185

Thats pretty much the conclusion that ive come to as well. Either 240 or 250. I have been working with the guys at stewart warner gauges and they are the best as far as going the extra mile. They are currently looking into finding a sender that will work with our trucks that have the vortec heads. The guy ive been working with thinks he has one but he really needs to know what the range on these gauges are. He called me back this afternoon and hes waiting on a call back from a friend of his at AC Delco hoping they might have the specs. Anyway thats the story for those wondering. Once I get the sender and verify its working Ill post it for everyone since this seems to be a big question for all of us vortec guys.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
TonyJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
Thats pretty much the conclusion that ive come to as well. Either 240 or 250. I have been working with the guys at stewart warner gauges and they are the best as far as going the extra mile. They are currently looking into finding a sender that will work with our trucks that have the vortec heads. The guy ive been working with thinks he has one but he really needs to know what the range on these gauges are. He called me back this afternoon and hes waiting on a call back from a friend of his at AC Delco hoping they might have the specs. Anyway thats the story for those wondering. Once I get the sender and verify its working Ill post it for everyone since this seems to be a big question for all of us vortec guys.
Ever have any luck with finding a sender?

Thanks, Tony
Old 09-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

an aftermarket sender would be nice,but you can drill and tap the head to accept the old sender.I think I've also heard that you can machine the original sender to fit the vortec head?Not sure on that one though.I just put the sender in the manifold for now.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
TonyJohnson

That'll work.
Thanks,
Tony
Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 AM   #10
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

if you want to find out what the values are for hot and cold you could pull out the sender and put it in a small pan or something then with the wire connected and a jumper from the threads to a ground on the truck. then, with a thermometer in the water, you could heat the pan with a propane torch or camp stove and watch the temp on the thermometer and have a helper watch the gauge in the truck. To make this easier you could extend the sender wire so you could get the sender onto your workbench or whatever, just make sure that the connections are good since resistance will give a false reading. One other thing is if you want the resistance range you could heat the sender while connected to an ohm meter and note the values at different temps. Sounds like alot of work, but if no one knows the answer you can find out for yourself. If you actually do it post your results because i've wondered what the temp gauge really means too! Sorry for the long post but I figured I'd throw out the idea!
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote