The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
blizzardwarrior7

Newbie Questions

Hello, new to the forum. I just picked up a 1967 chevy k10, its got the inline 6 in it, and a 3 speed manual, (3 on the tree). Ive already started tearing all the old body panels off, basically everything will have to be replaced except for the frame, and the top half of the cab. The engine still starts up and runs, and the truck drives and the 4x4 works. So I know this is going to be alot of questions, but any help would be appreciated. Im new to the whole old truck thing, but have been working with diesel trucks for several years.

1). The floor of the truck is starting to rot out, and needs replacing, do I just order one of these floor pan assemblies that Ive seen? Any one in particular? Whats a good way to actually install them?

2). How do I go about converting it to a 4 barrel carb? New intake Manifold? Any suggestions on which way to go with that would be great.

3). The cab corners have patch panels over them, but they look pretty thin, are there any cab corner patch kits that I can weld on? I do mostly mig welding, gas and gasless.

4) Whats the best way of pulling the motor? Can I pull it with the tranny attached?

5). The engine still runs suprisingly well, but obviously its old, is there anything I should be replacing in/on it? Ive already got an engine dress up kit for it, including chrome alternator, chrome valve cover, chrome oil pan, chrome air filter, and new fuel line. Ive got new valve cover gaskets, and new spark plugs as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read through all of this! And any help is appreciated!
blizzardwarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
GruntMoanCough

Re: Newbie Questions

Welcome Blizz.....sounds like a cool project.

1). Yes, weld them in.

2). 4 barrel intake.

3). New cab corners.

4). Anyway you like.

5). Hmm......got a 292?

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
maddog1331

Welcome to the board!

I don't have much to add to what Grunt advised, like he said definitely weld in the patch panels (or complete floor pan). You can get them from LMC (www.lmctruck.com), but maybe some of the board vendors have them too. There is a list somewhere on the site of all the board vendors.

One thing to keep in mind, the board will want you to be a paid subscriber before you start posting Want to Buy or For Sale ads. I don't think they would have a problem with you sending a private message to a vendor, but I don't think they will like it if you post in the forums "Want to Buy" something. It really is worth it to be a paid subscriber, it doesn't cost much, the information I have gotten from this board has been priceless

There is a parts forum where you might find parts you need located here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=8

I've never pulled engine and motor together from one of those, but have done it numerous times on cars. I don't see any problems with that, but at the end of the day it might be easier to take the tranny out first. Other folks might have more input though, that have done this before.

Again, welcome to the board, and hey post some pics of it!
maddog1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
dfwright

I recommend reading through the FAQ pages there is a WEALTH of information available here, and examples of others documenting their processes of repair and upgrading.

Here is a link to the FAQ index thread

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'll add that you need to sit down when pricing 6 cyl speed parts.(Manifold and carbs,headers etc.) They tend to be pricier than 350 stuff.Check the board vendors for your parts since there may be one near you where you can pick stuff up.Shipping can add 25%+ to the cost of parts.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
blizzardwarrior7

Thanks for all the replies! Ive tried welding the patches, but they are just too thin it seems! It just burns right through... I cant seem to find any cab corner patches that are any thicker. Ive looked at LMC and found and ordered most of the body panels I need( everything except the hood). But I am also having trouble finding a 4 barrel intake and a good carb to go with it.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
culp7
HickTown

summit racing, search offenhouser intake. and get a holley 390 cfm 4-barrell carb.

thats the best way to go.!
1976 Dodge Aspen W/ 225
2000 Toyota Tundra w/4.7
1987 Dodge Ram D-100 w/360
255/70-15
Old 06-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
70cst

and blizzardwarrior7 from the GREAT state of Ohio. Glad to have you on board. It's fine to post Where to Buy questions and advice on rebuilding your truck. Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you...but it will be worth it. You can got to the parts section and buy anything you need...But like it has been said...to post WTB (Want to buy) or FS (For Sale) post you need to be a Site Supporter which will be the best $25 you can spend on your truck cause parts sold are normally very resonable. But either way welcome and you will find plenty of help from guys who know these trucks when asking questions about your truck. Good Luck with your build. It will be special when its done. Again welcome aboard!

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 06-05-2009 at 07:56 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
blizzardwarrior7

Thanks alot guys! Found the parts I need, Ill post some pics within the next few days, I plan on trying to remove the motor tommorow or sunday!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
blizzardwarrior7

Well got the engine pulled, unfortunately the tranny is pretty much shot....Anywhere I can get a new one or a remanufactured one?