The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Chevyholic
Will it run today?

What do you guys do?

I've got a pretty straight 71' longbed, but have rust issues in the floor pan due to a leak in the cowl settling down below. For the people that have a standard two car garage, how do you manage space and parts when pulling apart a truck? Due to my workbench on one side and refrigerator/freezer on the other side, my two car is more like a one car garage. I can't believe I'm the only one in this situation, so you guys just leave parts in the back yard when pulling apart? I'm dying to fix and paint my truck, but just doesn't seem practical.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

Re: What do you guys do?

depnds on the repair being done. if you just want to repair the floorpan, you dont have to tear down completely, just remove the door, cut out the bad spot( make sure no wiring etc in the path of your cut), and weld in the replacement panel. Now if you want to tear down to restore. take the front clip off, and store it in the back yard on a wood frame etc to keep it off the ground. with limited space you could restore in sections. for instance wit the front clip off, pull motor/tran. spray frame with oven cleaner from the dollar store let set for a few hours then powerwash, and coat frame with por-15, install engine/tran, then work you way back. It's hard to do but manageable. you learn to get creative quickly.

keep in mind it's much easier to plan and do sections at a time that can be done in a week, or a weekend, as many people that do a full restore end up getting burnt out or taking way longer than anticipated.

Good luck. start a build thread when you start to tackle you truck.

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470

Last edited by my67chevytruck; 06-11-2009 at 11:27 AM.
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

The woman and I have two quads and a double jet ski trailer in the 2 car garage. I was hoping to fit the ski trailer in storage but it is going to have to be the quads. SO it will be very tight. But Ill manage
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Shyguy

Very good advice, I myself was wondering the same thing.

I have two trucks I am working on at times and I tend to lose focus.

Keeping straight which parts go to which truck gets to be a problem at times since one is a '67 and one is a '71.

I have a car trailer with wood decking that I rarely use and I have finally realized I can use it as a work platform.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
bobjob

YOU got a garage???man i'd kill to have one..i do all my work outside in hot Arizona heat,, big black ants biting me.. scorpions.. rat's ,, and the occasional Rattle snake under and in my cars...
bobjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob View Post
YOU got a garage???man i'd kill to have one..i do all my work outside in hot Arizona heat,, big black ants biting me.. scorpions.. rat's ,, and the occasional Rattle snake under and in my cars...
Fits in with the adage that said, "I complained because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet."....

My 2-car garage is half mine. The wifes half has been overtaken by the stuff that belongs to my middle daughter and her husband and their stuff that hasn't made it to storage, yet.

My half? Tool box, bench, truck parts, and miscellaneous "stuff". Oh, and the back half has shelving and "stuff" that I considered to be keepsake/collectible but now know that will only be fought over to see who has to take it before it gets thrown away when I die. Sucks.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
mclairmo

I put up a metal shed in the backyard on a raised wood foundation and stored old parts in it. New parts went inside the house. Big painted sheetmetal parts went outside up against the side yard wall. Only put one car in the garage to work on it at a time. Welder and other rarely power tools were stored upstairs in my room.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Chevyholic
Will it run today?

Thanks for the feedback! I wasn't actually complaining. I feel fortunate to have what I have, but figured others are in the same situation and they work through it. I've never restored anything before, so am left a little puzzled as how to make it all work. I really like the idea of doing it in sections and will try to make that work.

The big brown truck should be here today with the rest of my lowering kit and sway bar, so I guess I'll start up front.

Thanks again!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
69GMCLonghorn

In terms of the truck itself, invest in a really GOOD water resistant cover. I have 2 cars that I actually keep in the garage. We refuse to keep "stuff" inside and cars outside... except my truck, which doesn't fit anyways because it's a Longhorn.

So yeah, no easy answers. There was a house out here in a really bad neighborhood in Los Angeles. It was an average 2 bed 2 bath house... with a 21 CAR GARAGE!!! It turned out to be a drug house, but holy crap!
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

Np.... keep us in the loop on your progress.....

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #11
redbaron69

it wouldnt matter if you had a 5 car garage there is NEVER enough room. me and my dad work out of his 60x40 shop and betwwen his cars and my trucks we always looking to save a little space. one thing we have found to work pretty good is parts such as fenders, doors, hoods etc... that you can hang on the walls will save you a little floor space and you dont run the risk of having more dents from banging stuff in to them to fix. just be sure they secured good. just a suggestion hope it helps and good luck!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #12
mr48chev

One car garage with two tool boxes, two welders, three engines and two (maybe more) short blocks plus a bunch of stuff I don't need to have in there. I work outside and use a large sheet of cardboard to slide under the truck or what I am working on.

I was working on rearranging the garage and hauling stuff to the dump today to make more room.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
dan42

I have a two car garage with a small shop area to the side. I had room for a motor in the shop area, but it's tight. Like they said, you have to get creative and kind of plan on when you're gonna work on your truck so you don't have to leave parts outside - but the bed is a good parts holder as well.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #14
extd56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyholic View Post
I've got a pretty straight 71' longbed, but have rust issues in the floor pan due to a leak in the cowl settling down below. For the people that have a standard two car garage, how do you manage space and parts when pulling apart a truck? Due to my workbench on one side and refrigerator/freezer on the other side, my two car is more like a one car garage. I can't believe I'm the only one in this situation, so you guys just leave parts in the back yard when pulling apart? I'm dying to fix and paint my truck, but just doesn't seem practical.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
I have a 3 car garage ad a metal shed outside that is 12x24 which is my work area. I also use my daughters house to store a car. My wife has not parked a car in the garage in about 17 years.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote