The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
The Big Green

What AC compressor for bags?

I have a 480c, and I absolutely hate it! It takes 15mins to air up my 7gal tank, or very close. I want and engine driven. I have a '91 S-10 that was a 350, and I have the bracket for the AC, alternator, powersteering and everything. It's all serpentine so I'm wanting to use it since the S-10's apart. I'm unaware of the year but I'd guess mid 80's. It's the same setup as my 85 K5. I can't use the AC for an engine driven because it's dual metal lines that are held on with a bolt in the middle and sealed with O-rings. What year can I use and will it bolt up to my brackets?
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: What AC compressor for bags?

Delco compressors are not recommended for that type of application due to oiling issues.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
The Big Green

Uh, that wasn't what I was asking. I know mine isn't good for my app. I just want to know which year to get.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

GM only used Delco/Harrison compressors and you can't use ANY YEAR GM Delco/Harrison compressor due to oiling issues.

Maybe something here will help you ...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
blime81
Laid Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Delco compressors are not recommended for that type of application due to oiling issues.
x2 Way to much hassle

What you want is the York 210. Has an oil resivoir and a mag clutch for pressure switch. They can be found at yards everywhere. Some Chevy vans had em (for the SBC guys needing brackets) but mostly on volvos.

There are smaller cfm york compressors but the 210 (thats whats on the id plate) is 10 cfm. This is a very common swap into Jeeps so you can run air tools on the trail, air up big tires etc. The smaller ones will work fine too, just not as fast.

With an S10 you may have to fab a bracket (not sure of anyone selling them for that app). The good news is the York compressors can be bolted to a piece of flat plate. There are 4 holes on each side and the bottom so you can mount them pretty much any way.

They came with serpentine pulleys or v belts so lots of options there too. Probably the simplest way to take care of it would be to weld brackets to flat plate (so it fits into where your ac was). Cut slots in the plate for the compressor bolts (so you can adj it).

Run a double pulley off the alt to spin it with a short v belt. Kilby has these pulleys or you can make one by clamping a vbelt pulley on to your pulled alt pulley and carefully welding them together.

Lots of York parts, manuals, brackets, even complete kits etc at http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/kits.htm
They are mostly geared towards the 4x4 crowd but onboard air is air. Planning a 210 in my C10 to run the bags. I'm tired of noisey, slow e-compressors.

Good luck!
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
The Big Green

I was told a compressor that isn't held on with a bolt but one that the lines are held on by a fitting. That's why I need a year range first then we can get into the oiling issue ones and what's better.

I try many things Shane. I have a hotrods, motorcycle, 4wheeler, 4x4, import, and now I'm trying this bagged truck. I'm a Firefighter and a truck driver. I can't handle all this and be an expert at all of it. Fittings,what AC to use as an engine driven compressor for a airtank and everything else. Don't mean to be mean, eventhough I really wasn't. Let's just drop whatevers going on and stick with the help and help that others need. Okie dokie dude? that little symbol is why we are all here. We here to learn and thats what I'm doing.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
The Big Green

Thanks Blime81, that's very helpful. Sounds like you thought I was doing this one my S-10? I may have said that a little unclear. I meant I was robbing the brackets for a serpentine off my S-10 that's in pieces. I'm doing this on my 67 C-10
Old 06-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I searched "engine driven compressors for air ride", on google, and came up with this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Lots of good info.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
blime81
Laid Lo

Oh my bad I reread that 1st post. On a SBC it's easy. Ditch the rotary style compressor brackets from the S10 and get a York.

What Shane means about those compressors is that they are oiled by the refridgerant. In a closed AC system this isn't an issue since the compressor is just moving the same stuff around and around.

The York compressors are a piston type with a oil resivoir (like a little 4 stroke motor).

This is the only way to go since you only need a filter on the intake side. Some folks use the rotary ones but not for long. You'd need to preoil it every time. This isn't an issue for airing up a tire offroad but constant duty on a bagged ride would burn it up.

As for plumbing you can buy all the fittings you need from kilby. Really you only need a push in or compression type fitting for the york since your system is already plumbed. Then just run the airline to your tank.

There is one wire on the back of the York for the mag clutch. You should be able to wire this to your pressure switch. 12v = clutch engaged. You don't wanna run one of these on only a toggle since they can easily make 200 psi.

The only thing you may not have is a one way valve. You'll want this so no air pushes back to the york.

Not sure of your fabbing ablities but if you have some you should be fine. If not I would go to a yard and try to find a york bracket off a SBC van. I'm not sure of what year though (planning on building my own).

Heres a link to a fabbed in york. http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/brackets/brackets101.html
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
mycool72

The best compressor for air ride is a york 210 hands down. I am working on a bracket for mine now. Not an easy install but well worth it in the end. Most people build their own brackets-it will not bolt up to a stock 350 bracket. Endless switch-play awaits!
mycool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
hotrodhomi

I have a york 209 on my blazer and I love it.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If there was only a way to make it pretty...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
hotrodhomi

Please disregard the filth.

Last edited by hotrodhomi; 06-16-2009 at 11:29 AM.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
cajundragger

Im going to be modding my stock LS1 pump to pump air soon with an in oiler in front and oil/air separator behind with a return system. The saden pumps actually pump reallly well but they like low volume high pressure, where the yorks like low pressure.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote