The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Too heavy?

Ive been looking for a camper for my 71 K20. I found one here in Monroe that Im going to take a look at tonight after work.

Its a self contained camper weighing in at 2,600lbs dry. He said it holds 50 gal of water and another 5 gal in the hot water heater. I know nothing about campers, all I know is when I go to the Bonneville Salt Flats for Speedweek its dang near impossible to get a room. So I was thinking why dont I just bring a room with me?

The previous owner of my truck did use it to haul a camper, but I dont know what the weight was. The truck does have heavy duty helper springs added. I have put a pretty good load in the back, but I dont know if it was over a ton...it didnt squat at all though.

What do you guys think, too much weight to haul?

The guy that owns it now uses a 77 3/4 ton big block powered Ford and he has helper bags.

Last edited by CG; 06-26-2009 at 01:59 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
WorkinLonghorn

Re: Too heavy?

Well,if the '71 specs are like the '69 ones then according to GM,if you have a 7500 GVWR then the camper should be 2000 and then 1400 more for people+equipment; so a total loaded and ready weight of 3400 on the truck. This is from the Truck Data Book for K20 (1969).

Also that is cosidering the other recs such as v-8,4spd,4.57 rear,2500lb springs.

If you have the 7000 GVWR then the total should not exceed 2800 lbs.(per GM)
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 06-26-2009 at 02:15 PM.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Aunt-Jemima

Ive had a little above or a little below 3 tons (i cant exactly remember) in mine and it was probably a little much but it wasnt too bad.

1972 c10 307/th350 (wrecked) possibly selling
Aunt-Jemima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I have all the original paper work for the truck at home, Ill check out the exact specs and see what I have.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
69GMCLonghorn

Also keep in mind this little tidbit of info. These are tough a** trucks, and not some half pint Toyota. You can load the living heck out of them and they just come back for more. If it squats too far and you're worried about it, spend $100 or so on some helper springs and you'll be fine. If everything is in decent shape, you aren't going to break the truck!
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
69sixpackbee

Check the pic in my sig....'nuff said
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

You should be alright.

I bought my GMC 2500 from a friend of mine. When he bought it from the OP, it had a monster cab over camper on it. One them things that sat on & extended beyond the open tailgate. The rear bumper was 3' behind the bed.
Unfortunately, my buddy scrapped out the camper before he sold it to me.

But he told me the truck hauled the camper just fine.

Hope that helps just a little.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Mark, the main thing to remember, is this will make it top heavy, and sway like a mo-fo. It's a long haul to the flats and back, and it's a lotta hills.
I would consider hauling it dry, you can (probabaly) find a place to fill up the water once you get out of the mountains. I would inspect the brakes and make sure they are in perfect shape. Check the tires and make sure they are rated for this kind of load, and the spare too. I would also install a large tranny cooler too. If you have a small trailer, and you can haul it + the camper, it is less stressfull (for the truck) to pull the weight than to carry it, you can have your spare and tools and all your stuff in there.
I would install the camper, and drive it around town for a week... daily driver type, so you can figure if it needs tire/shock/sway bar upgrades before hitting the road, and plus, you'll know what to expect as far as MPG loss too. (i say 7 to 8 MPG on the road.... just a guess)

You'll need to get pics of this trip... if you take the truck or anything else. Get pics on the salt, the cars, the night life, the atmosphere... the fun that so few of us get to see there.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 06-26-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Yeah, it's going to be top heavy for sure.
But, for all practical purposes, the water tanks will be at the level of the bed floor; which should lower the CG of the CAMPER.

As for tires, I agree; nothing less than load range "E"

Off topic:
I'm having a problem with the Chevy. Nobody (even the board) has given me a viable solution.
Maybe you have something hidden waaaaaay back in your memory banks.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
Aunt-Jemima

I find a post of anything thats wrong with your chevy El Jay. And sorry i know its off topic

1972 c10 307/th350 (wrecked) possibly selling
Aunt-Jemima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
69GMCLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Mark, the main thing to remember, is this will make it top heavy, and sway like a mo-fo. It's a long haul to the flats and back, and it's a lotta hills.
I would consider hauling it dry, you can (probabaly) find a place to fill up the water once you get out of the mountains. I would inspect the brakes and make sure they are in perfect shape. Check the tires and make sure they are rated for this kind of load, and the spare too. I would also install a large tranny cooler too. If you have a small trailer, and you can haul it + the camper, it is less stressfull (for the truck) to pull the weight than to carry it, you can have your spare and tools and all your stuff in there.
I would install the camper, and drive it around town for a week... daily driver type, so you can figure if it needs tire/shock/sway bar upgrades before hitting the road, and plus, you'll know what to expect as far as MPG loss too. (i say 7 to 8 MPG on the road.... just a guess)

You'll need to get pics of this trip... if you take the truck or anything else. Get pics on the salt, the cars, the night life, the atmosphere... the fun that so few of us get to see there.
Longhorn Man, you're disappointing me... What happened to "hop in it and go!"?
Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

LOL... me... personally..... I'd go without the camper.
But, that's why he has a wife, and i don't!
I'll roll the dice on some things... but others, I try not to.
Besides, it's easier to spend money, when it isn't your own.

I just like throwing all the things out there that he should be considering. What ever he skips, is on him.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #13
factorystock

I would look for a lighter camper with no rear overhang.

Last edited by factorystock; 12-30-2009 at 10:24 PM.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Well lets see. Tires are BFG All Terrain 33x12.5 16.5 with maybe a couple thousand miles on em at the most.

M-28 4spd trans

G-87 Max trac rear. I think he told me it was a 4-ll detroit locker, it sure bangs like a locker.

G-50 2750 lb rear springs. And after market heavy duty helper springs

Has a pretty heavy duty steering dampener shock on front also.

Still not sure which way Im going to go. I could just stick my big ol "grandpa" canopy on there and sleep in the back and put my name in at a few hotels in case of a cancellation. Or I could even drive the Scion and hope for a room cancellation. Only problem with that is it would be incredibly uncomfortable to try and sleep in.

No matter what I do Ill be sure to post pics. Not till August anyway. Lots can happen in a month and a half.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Last edited by CG; 06-26-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
I would look for a lighter camper with no rear overhang.The higher center of gravity on a 4X4 can be a problem. The one in photo is a "Little Gem" 8 1/2 footer and weighs about 1700lbs. It looks like a good match.

That is a neat picture. I like the idea of a fully contained camper. Real toilet and small shower, but maybe like you say its just too much for a 4x4.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #16
69GMCLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
LOL... me... personally..... I'd go without the camper.
But, that's why he has a wife, and i don't!
I'll roll the dice on some things... but others, I try not to.
Besides, it's easier to spend money, when it isn't your own.

I just like throwing all the things out there that he should be considering. What ever he skips, is on him.
Just givin' you a hard time... I'm with you on spending other people's money. LOADS of fun! No pun intended (well, maybe a little).
Old 06-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

i`m wondering what truck that camper was made or if one of these trucks can`t haul it.Is this the Avion you showed a picture of?That is heavy for an empty camper.Other than the water you won`t be adding much more,I`d think.I`d look for mountain water on the eastern slopes.The camper I had on my`71 c/20 seemed really light,like it wasn`t there.I never touched the suspension and I believe it was all original.I blasted that thing from the east coast to the Grande Canyon (North Rim)by way of Santa Fe,Pagosa Springs,Mesa Verde,Four Corners,etc.Plenty of mountains and she ate them up.This was with my wife and two kids plus gear.Your camper must be alot heavier,though.
I`d load it up and pull some long grades as a test.That`s where you`ll know if it`s right.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #18
69RAT

You could always take it for a drive over the hill (Leavenworth). If you didn;t like it you could leave them both here!!!!!!!!!! I WOULDN'T COMPLAIN.....
Old 06-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #19
Skirkpat

Why not a pull behind ? You can rent those here, or for what it costs for a hotel, maybe set up an RV rental close to the Flats and drive it there....Whatever you do, I am seriously jeolous, I just watched a movie about the fastest Triumph M-cycle to run at the flats it reminded me that I Always wanted to see speed week, wherever you sleep should be once in a lifetime fun, until next year right?
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #20
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
i`m wondering what truck that camper was made or if one of these trucks can`t haul it.Is this the Avion you showed a picture of?That is heavy for an empty camper.Other than the water you won`t be adding much more,I`d think.I`d look for mountain water on the eastern slopes.The camper I had on my`71 c/20 seemed really light,like it wasn`t there.I never touched the suspension and I believe it was all original.I blasted that thing from the east coast to the Grande Canyon (North Rim)by way of Santa Fe,Pagosa Springs,Mesa Verde,Four Corners,etc.Plenty of mountains and she ate them up.This was with my wife and two kids plus gear.Your camper must be alot heavier,though.
I`d load it up and pull some long grades as a test.That`s where you`ll know if it`s right.
The Avion was Mike (stllookn), I wish it was me =).
Old 06-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #21
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Ain't nothing wrong with a grandpa camper on the back:
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #22
special-K
Special Order

Oops!A case of mistaken identity.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote