The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2003, 11:05 AM   #1
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

bigblock73, your services are needed...

Check this thread, I have been pimpin' you out......
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/s...threadid=45064
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
Izzy
Trucker.

I need to do that too.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:03 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

Chris, I just registered and will reply in a little bit...always willing to help out others.

fiveeight, someday I plan on creating a website and will publish this article I wrote, till then here you go...

I decided I did not want to run the saddle tank gas tank that was mounted on the outside right frame rails, but instead I wanted to put a fuel cell in the rear frame rails under the bed floor. I have seen people put in suburban/blazer gas tanks back there, and while there is nothing wrong with this I liked the looks and simplicity of the cell more. After some careful measuring I determined a 16 gallon unit (same size as my stock tank) from Summit Racing would fit perfectly. This is a foam filled cell (to prevent fuel slosh) that has a GM sending unit already installed. The cell will be mounted to the top of the rear frame support and to the top of the frame just behind the differential with a custom made bracket. Because the frame kicks up above the axle I will need to design a bracket that drops down, that way the cell will sit level with the bed/frame once finished. The difference from the rear of the frame to where the new bracket was going to sit was 1 ¾”. I went to Discount Steel and Aluminum and purchased an aluminum C-channel that measured 32” long and 1 ½” x 1 ½”, I then purchased a flat piece of aluminum that was also 32” long and 1 ½” wide by ¼” thick. Once home I put them together in a vice, drilled two holes (one on each end) and bolted them together, this giving me the desired 1 ¾” drop bracket. Once two pieces were now one, I drilled the remaining holes for the straps, sanded the bracket, and primed and painted it the same color as the frame. Once the paint had dried I centered and clamped the bracket to the frame and drilled two holes through each end and bolted the bracket to frame. Now it was time to install the cell, or so I thought. The problem I encountered was that the bracket for the rear brake line was in the way, the cell with its brackets installed would not clear it. To remedy this I shortened the ends on one side of the brackets (the ones that bolt to the rear frame support) by one inch, by doing this it moved the cell back the same distance and now it fits like a glove with about ¼” clearance between the cell and the brake line/bracket.
Attached Images

bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 04:50 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Jeff,

until you get a site up, you can put it on my site if you want. Nice mod and I'm sure folks will love the help in the design.

Let me know and we'll set it up for you.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 05:06 PM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

go for it Mike, I have no problems with that at all. Do you have all the pics or should I mail them to you?

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 05:55 PM   #6
Low87
been here longer than Liz

How come everyone that has done this mod is across the country??? I need one of my OK brothers to be skilled in this mod so they can come help me.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:40 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Send me everything you want included in the article. In other words, write it the way you want it to look, and send me the photos with it. The more the merrier. Folks like pics to look at. I guess it's the thousand word thing.

I'm giving you all the credit. When someone needs an answer to a question, since you've done it, they'll be able to email you. This is only fair to you, and I wouldn't know what to tell them anyway.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote