The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Jim_PA

I need a plan before all these ideas spin out of control

I have one complete running truck.... 68 50th lwb...

And ontop of that, I have a whole other 71 cab, and a 67 parts truck/frame that I plan to shorten, plus 2 other rears, trailing arms, etc..

What do I do? Do I just start building a new truck, and not bother swapping frames? My initial plan was to cut down the 67 frame, and swap everything off the 68 onto that frame... basically, just swap frames, and turn my 68 into a short bed.. BUT.... the cab on the 68 is in need of repairs before it's worth swapping over to something else, and I don't want to be without a running / driving truck.

And to top it all off, I was just quoted $1300 for a complete 6.0 lq4/9....

The wheels started turning, and I thought about shortening the '67 frame, buying a 6.0, and building a truck from the bottom up using the 71 cab (that also needs repaired...). I'd probably go with a 73-87 front suspension, or use the 67 suspension that I have on my parts unit.... I'll need an entire front clip for either project.

Now, the idea is all fine and dandy, but I want to keep my 50th. What I almost need to do is build a "junk" truck (using the 71 cab, 67 frame and drivetrain, wooden flat bed (on the cheap...) Then just tear down my 68 50th, and build that one back up nice from start to finish.

Maybe I should ask my wife what I should do. Ok, maybe that's not such a good idea.

I guess I could also build the 71 shortbed, and drive that while I re-do the 68 50th, but I don't have the funds, time, or resources to do 2 complete builds.

What would you do?
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Re: I need a plan before all these ideas spin out of control

I say stick to whatever your original plan was and see it through the end. Otherwise you will wind up with a couple of projects that don't get finnished. Ask me how I know.... WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Jim_PA

I guess the original plan was to just swap everything over to the shortened frame, buy new bedsides, and make some emergency repairs to the 68 cab while it's off. The 68 cab isn't that bad, but I hated to take the time to swap it over to a different frame without trying to make it better.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
mclairmo

I would not touch the 68 other than to maintain and repair it. Youu need to keep it running at all times or you will lose momentum and become disullusioned. Do whatever you want with the other parts you have, like building another truck, but keep the 68 running at all times.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
I would not touch the 68 other than to maintain and repair it. Youu need to keep it running at all times or you will lose momentum and become disullusioned. Do whatever you want with the other parts you have, like building another truck, but keep the 68 running at all times.
After thinking about it, and as much as I hate to do it, I'll probably end up just driving the 68 while I build up a shortbed from everything I have + a new front clip, and swap over the engine and things when the rolling shell is done.

I'll still have the dilema of what to do with the 68 when the "new" truck is done, but swapping my fair/poor 68 cab and front clip onto a different frame just so I can have a short bed doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Jim_PA; 08-06-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
mclairmo

I think that is best so as to avoid the trap of having a lot of projects, none of which run at all. I have my 67 Camaro, which runs great and so, it's no big deal if my truck is apart for several years. However, if they both were down, I would be depressed.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote