The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2003, 02:16 AM   #1
DeepPurple
Real Deep...

Suicide 1-piece

All of the recent posts on 1 piece windows and some of the problems people have had got me thinking.

Does anyone here have one piece windows and suicide doors (as this is my eventual plan) on their truck?

What problems did you have with the the glass lining up or binding or other such related problems that many people seem to have with standard opening doors and the new glass?

1976 GMC K5 Jimmy (Big Blue)
400/TH350
Coming soon to a drive-in near you...

We have done So Much with So Little for So Long..
We are now qualified to do Anything with Nothing.
DeepPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 09:11 AM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

I have the 1-piece kit (still sitting in the box after 2 1/2 years ) and I'd love to do suicide doors some day... I think the bearclaw type of latch that you'd have on the front of the door would definitely NOT interfere with the window mechanism because other than some interior bracing to the front edge of the door, that part is very flat.

As for the hinges in the rear, most suicide doors I've seen use a "j" hinge like what the old 50's cars and trucks had on them... which puts the movement in the rear pillar (the door side of the hinge is fixed), so you wouldn't have any problem there either.

However, what I'd like to do with the latch mechanism, bearclaw or stock, would be to flip the functionality around... that is, take the moving part that releases the door OUT of the door and put it in the pillar (either B pillar for stock door swing or A pillar for suicide doors). This would allow me to use solenoids to pop the doors WITHOUT having to run power into the door. Running wires into the doors and making them look good is always problematic, and this would solve that problem for me.

Anyone else???

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote