The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
zeecubed

Classic Newbie Advice . . .

OK, I've been stalking a little, and I've tried the search. But, I'm not really sure what to search for.
Anyway, I'm researching right now, planning to pick up a 67-72 truck this winter (or before).
The question is, what should I look for? What's better about certain years? Models?
I'm looking for 2wd, looking to lower it a bit, do some personalizations.
Oh, and what should I watch out for when looking at a particular truck? You know, the common problems and stuff.

Thanks!
zeecubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
70cst

Re: Classic Newbie Advice . . .

http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...cks/index.html

Hi zeecubed...if you read the above link for it will give you a good read about our trucks. Ok...I'll start out this thread and others will chime in. Oh yes... to the finest site on 67-72 and trucks...

a) Do you want a LWB (long wheel base) truck or a SWB (short wheel base) truck?

b) Do you want an automatic or a 3 or 4 speed manual.

c) What size engine do you want? 6 popper or a 402 BB (Big Block)or in between? (6 cylinder, 327, 250, 396)

d) What options do you want such as: AC, AM-FM Radio, Bench seat or Buckets, Tilt or non tilt steering wheel, etc. (Most options can be added to these trucks)

e) Beware of rust...rockers, upper windshield, bed, undercarriage,

f) Are you looking for a factory truck or a modified truck?

g) Year break down: 67-68, 69-70, 71-72

h) How much do you want to spend?

This is just the start. The link below will show you the looks of our trucks...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=191687

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 08-31-2009 at 10:37 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

One thing you asked was about advantages of certain trucks. This prompts me to say that only 71-72 model trucks have front disc brakes standard. The disadvantage is those same year trucks have more smog equipment. Like 70CST says, you need to investigate more before you make the decision to buy. They're all great trucks, otherwise we all wouldn't be here!

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
cdowns

71-72 come from the factory with disc brakes and 5lug axels making them more desirable in my opinion

overall the most critical thing to look for is RUST
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 09-01-2009 at 06:20 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

If you're looking to lower I would say to not worry too much about getting 71-72 with discs since they can be added with drop spindles or by using a later model crossmember/spindles(or many combinations)So I would really look into the rust.Since bodywork is usually the most expensive part of a build the less you have to do the better.If you can do bosywork then it's no problem to get patches.I find that buying a better body pays about 3-4 to 1 in investment.For every $100 more you spend on better body you will save $300-400 on bodywork(Justmy experience).
GM was kind enough to use the same parts throughout their product line so engines and trannys(except 4X4) are very interchangeable.
If this is your first project a running driving truck is a better option for most sinc you can learn as you go.It is a major undertaking to completely frame off restore a vehicle and requires a lot of time effort and money.If you're looking for a decent driver then a driving restore may be a better way to start.
Floors,doors,windsheild frames and above them,the kickpanels and the area outside them and the firewall all are areas that tand to rust.There are several members in Georgia that buy,sell and trade trucks so one of them may have the project you are looking for.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote