The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 AM   #1
reedwesd

Kids car seat in the Truck??

I did a search and really could not find anything so If someone has already posted this and I am sure they have please point me in the right direction. I just bought a 67 c10 and plan on using it for a daily driver quit a bit. I also have a two year old son that I would like to be able to take with me places while driving the truck. Does anyone have problem running a car seat in there truck or any advice they can give me since I have read that you should not use just the lap belt on car seats. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by reedwesd; 09-02-2009 at 10:23 PM.
reedwesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
reedwesd

Re: Car Seat in Truck??

So no one rideds around with there young son or daughter in there truck? I just want to do it the safest way posible and just needed input.

Thanks
Wes
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
eseaton

I used to run 2 car seats in mine just make sure you tighten the crud out of the belts and get a Mighty Tight so they cant back off. They are a pain to install but nothing left to chance.
eseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
jsmithbm

my dad always used the arm car seat. Man he had a fast reaction. would catch me every time. Boy those were the days.
Honestly i would not see a problem with it. Just make sure to read the owners manual and do some pulling on it before you put the youngster in the seat.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
mr48chev

As long as you belt them down right I don't see an issue with them. You might have to install a center seat belt but that isn't a big deal.

Here all of our brains were thinking that you wanted to install a front seat out of a car in the truck when we read the header.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
reedwesd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Here all of our brains were thinking that you wanted to install a front seat out of a car in the truck when we read the header.
Thanks I chaged the title. I didn't think about that when I put the title in.

Thanks for all the help guys. I thought it would be no prloblem but just wanted to get a little more input.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Ah yes....another excuse to show this pic. I think an important factor is to go with a super quality car seat. Mine has steel tubing that the seat belt goes around. Nice and solid!!!
Attached Images

prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
Jim_PA

I had a little trouble making the lap belt tight through the seat, but I didn't see a problem with it.

I have 3 points now, so it's really not an issue.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
gonline71

I am driving mine everyday and my 6 year old sits on a booster, with my 3 1/2 year old strapped in a Britax.....kneel on the seat and tighten the heck out of it.
gonline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseaton View Post
I used to run 2 car seats in mine just make sure you tighten the crud out of the belts and get a Mighty Tight so they cant back off. They are a pain to install but nothing left to chance.
Your not supposed to use mighty tights because they weaken the integrity of the seat belt and it has been shown they break in a wreck. My wife is a car seat junky.

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
122 Vega

In our Mustang I got a LATCH teather system from Mazda. It is a replacement kit for a Protege sedan (I picked this just cause I had on to reference in the driveway) and includes the weld in backing plates for the floor. We now probably have the only LATCH equiped 65 Mustang in the world!

Only problem is that since the Mustang has no factory belts, we have used the child seats with the built in belts. Unfortunately he's growing out of those now, so I have to upgrade to a three point belt now.

This would be really easy in our trucks too.

Britt
122 Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
michael bustamante

My 2 year old daughter LOVES going in the truck! ( she growls like the motor when I gun it. its great!!) I tighten the heck out of the belt for her car seat but I always worry cuz theyre 42 years old and its old technologly. I finally bought some 05 chevy truck seats with the shoulder belt in them to kinda ease my mind (and they look good too) I cant stand the idea of my daughter kissing that metal dash
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
jorgensensc

Drove my little one around for years in the car seat in the truck. I agree with above. Put a blanket (or one of them seat protector things down), put the seat in, put your knee and weight in it, cinch it down. It's tighter than my wife's car was with the little LATCH things. Just remove it once a week for a day to let the cushion come back up. Worked fine for me!
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
My 2 year old daughter LOVES going in the truck! ( she growls like the motor when I gun it. its great!!) I tighten the heck out of the belt for her car seat but I always worry cuz theyre 42 years old and its old technologly. I finally bought some 05 chevy truck seats with the shoulder belt in them to kinda ease my mind (and they look good too) I cant stand the idea of my daughter kissing that metal dash
Not being and A$$, but you did use the correct type washers under the mounting points in the floor right? Our floors were not reinforced where those later seats mount, so the seats with integrated seatbelts put a lot of strain on the thin floorpan there, they can rip right through the floor. I saw somewhere they sell some special oval type washers with smooth edges that are made for this type thing. I'm sure someone here knows where I saw them.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
BlueJeep

I'm welding the attachment points into my 49 after the seat comes back from the upholstery shop, and we're doing the same with my dad's 70 chevelle. For forward and rear facing seats (Graco brand anyway) it's easier to use the belts that come with the car seat than the vehicle's seat belt. You'll want to get it very tight no matter what method you use to attach it.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
Ah yes....another excuse to show this pic. I think an important factor is to go with a super quality car seat. Mine has steel tubing that the seat belt goes around. Nice and solid!!!
I was going to post that pic.

Oh, and I don't think my wife would ever let my daughter ride in my truck. I don't drive it really. It's not legal and has no A/C or heat. I can't wait to take her for a ride though. She is 14 months now. She loves standing in the driver seat of anything and playing with the wheel. I showed her that.

I have an 06 GMC Canyon with no power locks/keyless entry. It also doesn't have a key cylinder in the pas. door. So, every morning we get in the driver door and she stands there trying to turn the wheel while I unlock the pas door. I start the truck so the power steering makes it easy for her to turn the wheel. Wish I had a pic of her at the wheel on this computer.

Rambling over....................

Last edited by LOW DOUGH; 09-03-2009 at 01:22 PM.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #17
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Not being and A$$, but you did use the correct type washers under the mounting points in the floor right? Our floors were not reinforced where those later seats mount, so the seats with integrated seatbelts put a lot of strain on the thin floorpan there, they can rip right through the floor. I saw somewhere they sell some special oval type washers with smooth edges that are made for this type thing. I'm sure someone here knows where I saw them.
Shawn
im actaully going to weld a plate to the underside of the floor where the new seats will mount. I havent actually pu them in yet. I have the truck in pieces installing bags and everything else, every morning she points and says "truck broken?"