The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
sam's 72

Don't know which way to go?

My step son is turning 16 at the end of the month, I told him I would buy him a car or a truck for his birthday, if he keeps his grades up, well his grades are very very good. So I ask him, what he wanted and he told me he wants my 72', man this truck is very very clean, all new interior. the engine is a 305, which I hate, I am in the process of trying to get my 383 finished. Now I want a 72' step side, but I am haveing problems finding me one, I keep going back and forth with this, cause I know what I have now! Hell, I don't know which way to go on this. I know it is an indivisual decission, but I was going to see what you guys think??The step side truck must have ac in it, I want it to be factory, not vintage.
Sam
Old 01-14-2003, 01:16 AM   #2
mikep
Used to have a truck

Correct me if I am wrong here but arent well optioned stepsides a bit on the hard to find side. By all means I understand there are some out there but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule as stepsides were originally kind of the base model trucks. It might be pretty difficult to find a decent one with working factory air unless you make one out of a AC cab and a stepside.

Do what my old man did. Make him get a job then he can buy it from you.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:27 AM   #3
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

Yeah man, I wouldn't go hand'in over the keys to my kid, especially since the interiors cherry. Think of all the soda's, hot dogs, and (hopefully not) beers that are gonna get spilled all over that hard work!!! I agree with mikep make him get a job and either buy yours or help him buy another one. My dad made me buy my first truck and I would have never taken good care of it if someone had just handed me the keys. When it's your hard earned money you see it differently. Not to mention the pride he'll feel in the accomplishment. A good life lesson and you get to keep your interior clean for a little while longer, and it will allow you more time to find that sweet stepside yer after. Just my .02
Old 01-14-2003, 01:41 AM   #4
sam's 72

I understand what you guys are saying, and I should have thought more about this when I told him this, but I didnt and I am not about to change the rules on him now, I told him I will buy him a car or truck if he has good grades, he did his end of the bargin, and I am a man of my word, specially when it come to one of my kids, so there is NO TURNING BACK ON THIS, if he wants the truck, I can get out of that part, due to telling him I will BUY him a car or truck, but I cant let him down at this point, I hope you understand where I am at now.
Sam
Old 01-14-2003, 02:09 AM   #5
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

Yeah but you didn't include your truck in the bargain. I understand you want to reward him for his hard work, and you should. I don't agree with giving kids money in exchange for grades, because then you have to keep doing it in order for him to keep it up. That's just my opinion though and you shouldn't be paying too much attention to what I say. Anyway, since the truck wasn't part of the bargain, I would tell him if he wants the truck he should get a job to cover the insurance, or find another car or truck. If he says he's willing to, then you get the satisfaction of watching him accomplish something more than originally intended and you haven't gone back on your word. But again just my .02
Old 01-14-2003, 02:15 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

hell, I bought my dad a Firebird when i was in High School...but you made a deal though.
What would he think of putting another truck together with you real quick...like over the summer?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:16 AM   #7
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

If he want a 67-72 truck then buy him one that is in decent running condition but the body may be beat up a bit. Tell him you will help him work on it. This way he will have to work on it himself and not only will he gain knowledge about how to work on vehicles in general he will be less apt to trash it so easily when he knows it is his money and labor that are going into the truck to fix it up. The worst thing in my mind is to give a nice car or truck to someone as their first vehicle because more then likely they will not care and end up trashing it. With them putting in time ,labor and money then they are not so quick to trash a vehicle.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:41 AM   #8
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Give him the truck...

Give him your truck! It is still in the family and he obviously feels some bond with that truck and you, so I would let him have it. Get yourself a step and you both will have similiar trucks to work on and enjoy. Of course, I may be eating these words in about 11 years when my boy says, "Dad, I want the 71"
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 10:47 AM   #9
cacauba
STL-KKN

Buy him a low option stepside (no ac)and swap beds?
cacauba is offline   Reply With Quote