The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Thealien

Had "one of those days"

I go to a local car show today and as I was backing in another guy says my left brake light wasn't working. I checked all the lights just a couple of days ago! I only had a 10 in one scewdriver so I swapped bulbs from side to side and still no left brake or directional. I'm kind of an anal person so it was on my mind most of the day but I enjoyed the show. When I got home I grabbed my test light, the bulb in it was burnt out so I grabbed a meter. I put a new tilt column in a couple of weeks ago (have had it for many months, just got around to installing it) so I figured I would test at the curved connector since it was the latest "change". I tested on the good side (right/green wire) and the meter showed correct voltage. I checked the side not working (left/Yellow) and got the same reading, hmmm!

So I start at the back checking for voltage at the lamp, none. At the crossmember plug, none. At the firewall plug, none. I continue to check the good side to make sure there are no abnormalities using the meter and I get a good 12Volts on the good side?

Everything looks good and still no left brake/directional so I follow the harness and don't see anything. The front is working so it can't be the flasher. I decide to go back to the curved connector and I am getting poor reading on the harness side of the plug but 12 volts on the turn signal/hazard side? I take the connector apart, remove the pins (messed up the harness side pin, figures). Something doesn't seem right and I am getting frustrated. For the hell of it I grab the turn signal switch from my non tilt column and plug it in.

YUP you guessed it, it works. 3-4 hours wasted (I did put dielectric grease on all my plugs). I don't understand why I would get voltage readings at the plug but it wouldn't work (maybe the meter takes a lot less voltage than a flasher/lamp? Well I need a turn signal/hazard switch for my newly rebuilt tilt column. I also have to fix the connector it plugs into. Oh well thought I might give some of you a laugh at my expense. Even I think its amusing............NOW. One of those days.

Tommorow I think I may try to dye some seat belts, wonder what I'll screw up then?
Thealien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
TonyJohnson

Re: Had "one of those days"

I discovered Napa carries the switches. I don't remember the price, but it was reasonable... just fyi...
Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
I go to a local car show today and as I was backing in another guy says my left brake light wasn't working. I checked all the lights just a couple of days ago! I only had a 10 in one scewdriver so I swapped bulbs from side to side and still no left brake or directional. I'm kind of an anal person so it was on my mind most of the day but I enjoyed the show. When I got home I grabbed my test light, the bulb in it was burnt out so I grabbed a meter. I put a new tilt column in a couple of weeks ago (have had it for many months, just got around to installing it) so I figured I would test at the curved connector since it was the latest "change". I tested on the good side (right/green wire) and the meter showed correct voltage. I checked the side not working (left/Yellow) and got the same reading, hmmm!

So I start at the back checking for voltage at the lamp, none. At the crossmember plug, none. At the firewall plug, none. I continue to check the good side to make sure there are no abnormalities using the meter and I get a good 12Volts on the good side?

Everything looks good and still no left brake/directional so I follow the harness and don't see anything. The front is working so it can't be the flasher. I decide to go back to the curved connector and I am getting poor reading on the harness side of the plug but 12 volts on the turn signal/hazard side? I take the connector apart, remove the pins (messed up the harness side pin, figures). Something doesn't seem right and I am getting frustrated. For the hell of it I grab the turn signal switch from my non tilt column and plug it in.

YUP you guessed it, it works. 3-4 hours wasted (I did put dielectric grease on all my plugs). I don't understand why I would get voltage readings at the plug but it wouldn't work (maybe the meter takes a lot less voltage than a flasher/lamp? Well I need a turn signal/hazard switch for my newly rebuilt tilt column. I also have to fix the connector it plugs into. Oh well thought I might give some of you a laugh at my expense. Even I think its amusing............NOW. One of those days.

Tommorow I think I may try to dye some seat belts, wonder what I'll screw up then?
DAYS!, how about one of those weeks? Might want to hold off on the dyeing, till your luck changes, dye takes a long time to go away on your skin

Did you enter your truck in the show, or was it just a cruise in?

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
DAYS!, how about one of those weeks? Might want to hold off on the dyeing, till your luck changes, dye takes a long time to go away on your skin

Did you enter your truck in the show, or was it just a cruise in?
It was a show but no real classes. I didn't expect to win anything. I like to see all kinds of cool vehicles and I love to watch and meet people. Saw some people I hadn't seen in a while. All in all a good day. I do have gloves but fear something will get dyed that I don't want dyed!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJohnson View Post
I discovered Napa carries the switches. I don't remember the price, but it was reasonable... just fyi...
I'll give them a shot but most have them with the different connector and an adapter. I don't like extra connections, more chances for a problem..
Old 09-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
TonyJohnson

I think it may have had an adapter. It was over a year ago.