The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
jaredstillwell

Installing a new windshield

Having a little trouble putting in my new windshield. I picked up a new window, and molding from a local salvage yard, removed the old one with no issue, however I am having a hell of a time getting the new one in. The main issue is getting the molding to seat on the top and drivers side. I tried the string technique, it worked partially, but now its fallen off on the top. Ive been working at this for a couple days now, and we got our first snow last night. Need this thing installed in a bad way. Are their any techniques or tools anyone can recommend to me? Its an 84 k10, no glue kit, just a rubber molding and a strip that goes in the middle to lock it down and seal it.

Any help would be great.
jaredstillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Re: Installing a new windshield

The thought of a windshield not glued in scares me. Maybe that is just me. Seems like a big safety issue.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
jaredstillwell

I was told no glue was needed. What type of glue works best?
jaredstillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

When you have a windshield professionally installed they use a urethane. I would maybe call your local glass shop or go to one and talk to a tech (away from everyone else). If you ask right, they will probably install it on the side for pretty cheap. The shops may even be pretty reasonable.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 10-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

I had a pro install mine along with a new gasket. He broke the first 2, yes, he was finally successful on the 3rd attempt. It gets better, I broke the first one moving it from one spot in the shop to another. I figured my luck had run out so I called a pro. The installer is a friend that has been doing windshields for nearly 30 years. He said these trucks have variation in the window opening size that can cause headaches. I'll never attempt a DIY install on one of these trucks.

Bryan

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams View Post
When you have a windshield professionally installed they use a urethane. I would maybe call your local glass shop or go to one and talk to a tech (away from everyone else). If you ask right, they will probably install it on the side for pretty cheap. The shops may even be pretty reasonable.
These trucks and cars for the first 80 years or so didn't use any urethane adhesive. The rubber is sufficient to hold the glass in place. Urethane methods are a recent technique on more modern cars. These old trucks and all old cars, at the most, you might put some sealer in a few spot of irregularities in the channel to thwart any leaks where the rubber might not seal. No real safety concern.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Good to know Kevin. Thank You. The street rods that I was always around had custom glass and I have only noticed glued in windshields. Push in side glass...seen it countless times seeing as everything has that. Thank you again.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 10-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
Kaysenmc

I have taken these windshields out and put new in on quite a few vehicles, even burb and blazer side windos and truck rear windows. The two BIGGEST and most important parts is to use lots of windex for lube in allowing the seal to slide along the glass, and to use a cotter pin removal tool http://cgi.ebay.com/SNAP-ON-TOOLS-CO...item2a01ac5222 to guide the seal around the glass. works like a champ eveytime! Oh and I usually sit the glass in the seal at the bottom (with the seal already installed in the cab) then just work your way around
Kaysenmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Eyegore
What Hump?

My son and I ereplaced his windshield with no problem, the trick is having the right tool. I'm not sure what its called but it seperated the rubber channel so the vinly molding strip can be inserted, you move the tool alongwhile the vinly feeds from the middle.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
Eyegore
What Hump?

Here is teh tool from Snap on YA208A
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
Damien

You need the tool that is shown above and use lots of lube. I usually use WD40.Put the seal in the opening first. Glue it along the top if you need to. Set the glass in the bottom of the channel and work it in the rest of the way around. Make sure the glass is seated and start the retaining strip at the bottom and work around.

Where in MN are you?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
mbgmike

We sell a variety of brands of the tool to install with assorted tips

Actually the use of Urethane in The automotive industry was a lot earlier than the 1980's. Bayer Invented it back in the 30's. A lot of cars had it in the 60's Most all the fastbacks had the rubber seals and the Factory manuals specified to use urethane in the joint between the glass and rubber. Nothing wrong with using it on later vehicles. Of course most all if not all new cars are glue in w/o rubber but nothing wrong with using it. Really not needed on a steep window.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
evowerks

It's extremely important to have the windshield centered. Start from the center with the rope & pull in a little on each side working equally left & right.

69 C-30 flatbed/dump on a '88 P30 chassis
70 C-30 Cab & Chassis http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291544
67 GMC Camper Cruiser cab

73 Gmc K25 Sierra Grande BUILD THREAD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291276
evowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
Eyegore
What Hump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
You need the tool that is shown above and use lots of lube. I usually use WD40.Put the seal in the opening first. Glue it along the top if you need to. Set the glass in the bottom of the channel and work it in the rest of the way around. Make sure the glass is seated and start the retaining strip at the bottom and work around.

Where in MN are you?
We used soapy water it worked out pretty well, took some convincing but it went in.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #15
HOGDADDY

I would like to add this, soak the gasket and especially the locking strip in a bathtub of hot water seems to help a lot.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #16
mcbassin
Still Learning

This is probably a dumb question, but, are there any aftermarket glass kits to convert our trucks to gasket-less windshield? I have seen it on rear windows but not on windshields. I think it would look good like the newer trucks have. Seems like it would be less of a pita too.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #17
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

put the gasket on the frame 1rst!!!!

set the glass in the bottm of the gasket and lean it back against the frame.

with a pair of plastic blades or butterknifes slowly work you way around the glass gently prying the gasket up.

it does not need to be "profesionaly installed" you do not need any glue.

the thought of a winshield being held in by a glue that never dries scared the hell out of me.
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote