The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
72chevyk10
I built it

camshaft selection ?

i know its engine related but thought i would get more feedback in the high traffic area. so my question is: is anyone runing the comp cams XR264HR in their bbc? how do you like it and what is a good setup to have? like what compression and how much torque converter are you runing? my engine is kinda in need of a rebuild and im just goin to build it how i want it (as much as i can afford)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: camshaft selection ?

More is not always better.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

If you are going to do a complete rebuild,I would suggest you design a package to acheive the performance you want/can afford.Figure out how much you have to spend then dtermine what parts get you the most performance.The biggest mistakes I see in engine builds are overcamming and over carbing an engine.A cam that's has just a little lope in a 454 may be very radical for a 402.Displacement,CR and head flow will determine which cam works best for you.If you go to a larger head port then you will flow more air at higher RPMs but at part throttle the engine may be really sluggish.Set a budget and goals for the engine and then have a cam manufacturer help you with cam selection.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
72chevyk10
I built it

well im keepin the same heads, mabey get them machined(not sure what the numbers are on them)... im lookin mostly for torque. i used the comp cams "camquest" thing to find the cam i put in the first post. im happy with the torque numbersim guessing to run it at about 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression. i havent talked to comp yet, im just finding out what ya'lls opinions of the cam selection. or even recommend another. i really want to put a roller cam in though. the roller cam and the rebuild is about the extent of my money... haha. but its goin into the 454 i got, and im runin a 750 carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote