The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2003, 10:04 PM   #1
86SILVERADO

Question Engine Break In Question.

I am putting my new 350 in the truck tomorrow and I got to thinking. If if is 20 degrees outside would it be better to use straight 30 weight non detergent like everyone says or should I use a 10 or 20 instead. Also If it is so cold do I really want to rev it to 2500 immediately or should I let the engine warm up at a slower Idle to let the oil start to flow better before I really rev it to ensure that the cam gets enough oil. I am pretty concerned about this. I know that this initial break in is critical. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Norris
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 01:45 AM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

NO don't let it idle. You cam will be wasted in a matter of seconds. I would use the same weight/type oil you always use.

Bring it up to 2000-2500 rpm immediately.

Check this out.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 01:58 AM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Have a water hose handy incase the engine starts to get hot. Pouring some cold water on the radiator will help keep the temperature down. Follow Mike's instructions and you should good to go. Let know how it goes.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:38 AM   #4
86SILVERADO

Mike I read your link, Thanks. Why the no vacuum hoses on the carb thing though? Just curious.

Norris
Old 01-19-2003, 02:44 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Just one more thing not needed to break it in. When running at 2500 rpm the vacuum advance isn't working anyway. When breaking in a new cam or engine, you want to remove anything not needed and which may in some strange way, cause a problem. You have enough to worry about as it is.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:54 PM   #6
86SILVERADO

RightO. By the way I went to get the tranny bolted up to the engine and I noticed that there was no crank dowel in so I spent most of the day looking for it. I think that the machinist lost it in the hot tank or something. Sorry guys, not today. I bought a piece of 7/16 round stock and that just sort of jiggles a bit in there so that was no good. I called the few parts stores that were open and no go there either. "Sorry we can get you the whole crankshaft but not that dowel thing", "well we do have some flywheel bolts is that what you're looking for". What is it with these poeple that work at the parts stores. I swear you have to go there with the part in hand and a mic, and open every darn box, and half the time I get the "Oh yeah we got it right here". So I drive all the way down there and they hand me the wrong part of course. I have just about had it with these guys. I need my own damn parts store, and machine shop for that matter!!!!!

67 C30 Dually Dump, with 350 transplant, Rockhauler

05 Duramax 3500

"If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Member of the 1-Ton club!
Old 01-20-2003, 09:30 AM   #7
86SILVERADO

So I called the machine shop this morning and they said that there was no dowel pin in the crank. The hole is there in the crank for it and in the flex plate as well, but they just didn't have dowel pins in the two piece rear main seal blocks. Silly me. Glad I wasted the whole day looking for one.