The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Anadrol

Getting a Custom Dash

1. I want a custom dash that can house several modern audio/video components.

2. I cannot build this dash

3. How the hell do i find someone around Indy that can do this and who will not rip me off?
Anadrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Re: Getting a Custom Dash

Elaborate a little, what is that you want to do? Fiberglass, screens, speakers, what do you want to do?

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
Anadrol

It has to encompass new gauges in a different arrangement.

Re-route the A/C ducts at least a little because the current locations don't work for what I'm trying to do.

3 Total Monitors-
1. Full-time rear view camera monitor
2. New Alpine DVD Head Unit
3. Large monitor on passenger side.

Updated speakers.
-center channel artistically built into the top of the dash
-Speakers built into kicker panels and door panels.
-Shallow subs behind seat.

That's about it. I just cannot alter my current dash materials enough to make this work. I need a totally different shape. Doesn't have to be fiberglass, but I don't know how else to do it.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

I hate to say it but if you don't do it yourself it's going to cost you a fortune. Fiberglass is pretty easy to work with, and you already know how to use the internet

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrol View Post

Re-route the A/C ducts at least a little because the current locations don't work for what I'm trying to do.

3 Total Monitors-

Updated speakers.

That's about it. I just cannot alter my current dash materials enough to make this work. I need a totally different shape. Doesn't have to be fiberglass, but I don't know how else to do it.
I got my 15" raw monitor for my rear view from here 15" monitor
It has 2 RCA inputs as well as a VGA input for a computer screen. (haven't hooked that one up yet though) See console install Round 1 in my signature below.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
dv8customs

All that will definately be expensive. Best way though is to visit some local shops and check out their work then talk to some of their customers to see what their experience was. Any reputable shop you go to will charge a hefty price for all that work.

Check out http://www.fiberglassforums.com/ there is tons of info there. With some reading and patience you can do this yourself.

Last edited by dv8customs; 12-04-2009 at 12:49 PM.
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
CHEESE
The Cheesiest

IT MIGHT BE A LONG HAUL BUT JIMMY D @ JDGLASSWORKS HERE IN LUBBOCK CAN HOOK YOU UP WITH SOME SIK WORK.
[IMG][/IMG]
CHEESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
AceX
>130dB Moderator

If you don't do it yourslf, its going to cost alot. These things take some serious time and I don't think alot of people really know just how much is involved.

On thing that I have been thinking of doing for a long time (and haven't told anyone until now) is making the dash a uniform shape (like on the passenger side) and using Dakota Digital Gauges. The concept would not be hard to modify in order to make it work with what you want. A large screen could easily be affixed to the center of the dash.

The only thing I haven't really figured out is the HVAC system. A Vintage ir set-up is the most likely to work.

In the end, its going to cost alot, make no mistake. You're looking (on the low end) at $5000 without any equipment.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8customs View Post
All that will definately be expensive. Best way though is to visit some local shops and check out their work then talk to some of their customers to see what their experience was. Any reputable shop you go to will charge a hefty price for all that work.

Check out http://www.fiberglassforums.com/ there is tons of info there. With some reading and patience you can do this yourself.
+1, checking out your local shops is the best way to get started. Then do to some cruise-ins and car meets and talk to people. ask them if they have any experiences good or bad with any of the shops you've visited.Also, if the price sounds too good to be true, it prolly is.
what you are looking for is gonna cost you. To me, costing a good chunk of money and being ripped off are two different things. you only get ripped off if you pay the premiums a reputable shop would charge, but end up with sub-par work.(kinda you only get ripped off if you let it happen)

Quote:
3 Total Monitors-
Updated speakers.
This alone can get you well into a 5,ooo+ install, as AceX said it might be on the low end.
Just for the door panels alone, my upholstery shop would charge approx $250 per door just to modify your panels to house new/bigger speakers, $500+ per door to start from scratch. this would be a starting price, depending on what you want, the price could go up. and that would not include any paint or upholstery to finish out the panels, figure at least $500 per door to have them finished out with nice upholstery.
Kick panels can be done for about $500 for both upholstered, as kicks are straight forward. The sub box could be as little as $500 for a mdf box finished in carpet and up if you wanted anything above the basics
These prices are rough starting points and are S.FL prices, as well as being in the middle of the price range of the local shops. I know pricing for the same job will vary greatly across the country.
also you got to think about it like this- these are things you don't need. you don't need big screens in your dash or custom door panels, so any shop that you go to will charge you accordingly. it's not like it's your starter is busted and you need it to get to work, where you might get some sympathy on the pricing. these 'want' items are often high dollar.

Instead of altering your current dash, you might look into a dash swap. some of the newer GM trucks/suvs have large trim panels that can be modified without modifiying the whole dash, and you still end up with a full custom look!

Both re-arranging the gauges and the a/c ducts can/will require your wiring harness to be modified as well, so take that into consideration
check out your local shops and figure out what something like this will actually cost in your part of the country. then you might want to consider doing some or all of it yourself to save a little coin and you'll def learn alot along the way.
check out the forum dv8 mentioned, you'll at the very least get some great ideas and a basis on where to get started if you do it yourself.
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
Anadrol

Thanks for the helpful responses.

This is going to be hard. I don't trust any shops around here to do something like this, and I simply don't have time to do it. I work too much, I have zero experience with fiberglass, bondo, making molds, all that. I can't imagine buying all that crap and trying to teach myself as I create a terrible hideous beast that nobody would want in their trash can, much less their truck cab!

The good news is, (and I hate to type this because it sounds cocky) I've got the money, and I will be able to pay to have it done right if I ever find the right guy.

This is strictly spitballing here, but couldn't I find a badass shop in any state, and just pay them to make the dash (a '78 chevy K10 is an easy truck to find to get a template) and then have them ship it to me, and then pay to have another installer just bolt it in? It's the fabricating part that scares me, and I doubt if any of the shops around here could handle it.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #11
Anadrol

I guess maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. I don't need a show truck, I just want the modern amenities for myself.

Let me ask this-
How would I go about just getting a damn STRAIGHT dash that would fit that truck? That way, I could do the cutouts myself and put whatever I wanted in there. I just need a template to work with.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
cochino12
It followed me home?

as stated above check out fiberglassforums.com, you should be able to find someone there to get it done

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote