The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
yote1234

anyone else finding "nos" gm made in "china"

im doing a body off restoration and im finding out that there is nothing made in usa any more. now im not knocking the parts that are made in china but i want all american parts on my build. after all it is an american truck! it's taken me over 2-months now to find all front/rear suspension parts that were nos.. "new old stock". it's been a battle! even the "gm" dealer over the counter parts are made in china! anyone else see this?
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
MVHandy

Unhappy Re: anyone else finding "nos" gm made in "china"

Since they own the rest of the country not a big surprise. Truth is they can copy and stamp out parts rro next to nothing but in many cases the fit and material quality is a real problem as the Chinese have not mastered the art of quality control. Bought some goodmark parts and were Made in China but when I complained they exchanged for US made parts. It is scary but we are losing our ability to produce the goods we want for ourselves.

MVHandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: anyone else finding "nos" gm made in "china"

Sorry but NOS means "New Old Stock" which means it was sitting in a warehouse on a shelf. Anything made in China (unless GM was having the original part made there) is an OEM part, "Original Equpment Manufacture".

Good luck finding any real NOS parts at reasonable prices.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
yote1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Sorry but NOS means "New Old Stock" which means it was sitting in a warehouse on a shelf. Anything made in China (unless GM was having the original part made there) is an OEM part, "Original Equpment Manufacture".

Good luck finding any real NOS parts at reasonable prices.
yes! oem...thats what im finding is mostly made in china. the nos is made in usa and impossable to find at ?? any price. it has taken me over 2 months for all the suspension parts...
1966 uh 1-D Huey
Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
turp mcspray

I got some parts about a month ago for my moms 09 Buick. They came from the GM dealer, in factory sealed gm packaging. Made in China. WTF!!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
GMT900

The problem with the Chinese is they build to U.S. companie's spec and many times with the raw material provided by that company. Once the prototypes are approved by the U.S. guys and the contracts signed the chinese will start to cut corners intentionally to save money. Its not uncommon for them to sell the U.S. guy's raw material out the back door to another manufacturer / black market then substitute it with a cheaper material. We start to complain and they clean up their act and get the parts back to spec. Once the coast is clear again with the U.S guys they go right back to thier old ways. If you don't have a rep in the factory checking their quality they will rip you off.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
yote1234

too bad we here in the usa didnt make our own stuff..with our own materials!
1966 uh 1-D Huey
Old 01-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
68lwb292
Ex-Minitrucker

It would be nice to have American made parts but thanks to our government and the unions you could never afford them. They would probably be 6 times the cost of any other part. Not defending the chinese at all I hate buying their crap, but its getting to the point now where we don't have much of a choice.
68lwb292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
JEM
Ironmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT900 View Post
The problem with the Chinese is they build to U.S. companie's spec and many times with the raw material provided by that company. Once the prototypes are approved by the U.S. guys and the contracts signed the chinese will start to cut corners intentionally to save money.
Often referred to as 'quality fade', afflicts everything from dogfood to aircraft bolts.

As for 'why' - China just overtook the US as the world's largest auto market. GM is big in the Chinese market.

The transmission in the 2011 Mustang GT comes from China, because it's cheaper to set up one plant to make a lot of 'em than to build batches here and there for various markets, and it's just easier to set up for large-scale manufacturing there.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
mbgmike

Actually its not all gone. Being in the parts business we subscribe to many
automotive and business trade associations and news letters that are paid subscriptions only. Like Auto Beat http://www.autobeatdaily.com/

and others. They update daily and /or weekly on what happens in the automotive business world. most times before its on the news or papers We like to keep current on all automotive.

Many people don't realize that the OEM's really are just vehicle assemblers.
Many of the parts have been made overseas by American Companies. Tier 1
Tier 2 and Tier 3 suppliers. Their still are many parts made here or Canada.
Unfortnately for our trucks their are just a handful of USA made parts

America exported somewhere around 3.4 billion USD auto parts to Asia in 2008 to build Foreign cars. One example is ,The largest chrome plater of auto plastics ( grilles)is in Tennessee. They supply most every car maker in the world.

We just priced ourselves out of the market and know have been catching up.
American cars and truck are some of the best made now. Its just hard to convince the public of that now.

Last edited by mbgmike; 01-28-2010 at 07:12 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
1968SWBBigBlock

Part of the deal is that the Chinese government owns the manufacturing companies we are discussing, they are willing to take business at a loss to get a strangle hold on the market. That makes it impossible for a business that is not government subsidized to compete. That is the global economy we live in.
My biggest fear is that we will lose the ability to manufacture anything in the U.S. - if we have another WWII how do we dig ourselves out of that hole?
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #12
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968SWBBigBlock View Post
My biggest fear is that we will lose the ability to manufacture anything in the U.S. - if we have another WWII how do we dig ourselves out of that hole?
x 1,000,000,000

One of the reasons I try to build, install and fix as many things as I can. I'll actually know how to manufacture something when others are looking to buy it at the store and it isn't there anymore. We have become a nation of consumers, not a nation of builders.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 AM   #13
PHAT TONY

For what it's worth; taiwan made parts seem superior to china made crap, and good luck finding north american parts that are 100% north american.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #14
WillW23

There are still some small American companies, doing specialized work. As far as suspension, I believe Moog products are still made in America. I just wish you could find sheet metal replacement parts made here.

Willie
WillW23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #15
coloradosean2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lwb292 View Post
It would be nice to have American made parts but thanks to our government and the unions you could never afford them. They would probably be 6 times the cost of any other part. Not defending the chinese at all I hate buying their crap, but its getting to the point now where we don't have much of a choice.
I don't blame the unions, they only want to preserve the middle class. The real problem comes from buyers who are price sensitive. How many times have you been faced with two options to purchase what appears to be the identical product - one being made in USA - the other in China? The American part will cost more and be made of better quality. Which one will you buy? How about when the price is 2x as much? 3x?

The other problem is the lack of education at the high school level. How many high schools still have an industrial arts program? they got rid of it at the school I went to the year after I graduated. Kids today don't have a clue what it takes to design and manufacture a product - nor do they have a desire to work in a factory (assuming any existed).

What we are left with is a society selling each other the cheapest products possible. Our youth are working at fast food joints selling cheap food making less than the poverty line. All because of the consumer demand for cheap goods.

I have made a personal commitment to buy only well made (preferably Made in USA) products that are designed to last. This means that I often have to wait to buy a product until I can afford to buy the good one. And I never shop at Harbor Freight 100% of the crap they import is just that... crap.

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

coloradosean2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #16
mrein3

If you are a part manufacturer, what are you going to do?
If you want to build something here, the union contract negotiators will demand $20/hour plus full benefits for their workers. OR you can manufacture your part overseas for less than half the cost.

Funny thing when gas was over $4/gallon here and oil over $200/barrel, those tables turned. It only makes sense to manufacture stuff overseas if you can move it across the ocean cheap. It was too expensive to move stuff so some companies that still could started making stuff here again.

I'm not bashing China or unions or anybody. Crap if it wasn't for my dad having a GREAT paying union job for 42 years at the Ford assembly plant in Highland Park (St. Paul, MN) I wouldn't have gotten a college degree and a good paying job. Like 1968SWBBigBlock said, it is just the global economy we live in.

What is American made mean any more? I saw a Toyota ad on TV the other day claiming that it was American made? Huh?!? Whatever. For now I'm sticking with my Fords and Chevys.

And for what its worth, I try really hard to purchase parts made here if given an alternative.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #17
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lwb292 View Post
Please don't let this get political, the thread will be locked IAW board rules.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
Thealien

I always get a kick out of the whole union against china discussion. It is always easier to pick on a segment of society than look at the real issues. How come we don't have non union employees competeing?

Even the lowest paid american can not compete with china/India. It costs us more to live here so all other costs are more. We have EPA, OSHA, workers comp, unemployment insurance, numerous taxes and regulations that the overseas manufacturers do not. If we were willing to work for $1.00 an hour we couldn't compete with overseas manufacturing, it is not a level playing field?

Not getting political, just stating facts. If you feel this post is in violation please remove it!

Last edited by Thealien; 01-29-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #19
mike16

what drives me crazy is when you buy a NOS part and find that inside some one has replaced it with a repro. Back in the 80's and early 90's they were actually printing out the boxes as well.

as for the price of chinese vs american. a reasonable profit is expected but the greed. i dont understand how they can wait till they loose the market completely to the chines befor they drop thier prices 30 50 %. by then its too late. I would buy americal and pay more knowing that it employes americans and pays thier health care beny's and taxes but to screw the customer and destroy our manufacturing base. thats not just criminal level greed, its treason.

treason during war time is a capital offence.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
grs

I am tired of buying cheap Chinese junk. I bought a pair of work boots for $54.00. They were made in USA. Then the same brand of boots were made in China, and the price at the store was still $54.00. They then went back to making them in the USA, and the price was still $54.00. WE are saving any money buying junk from China. We need factories back in this country hiring people. Well that is how it is in the United States of China.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:55 AM   #21
fastom
That's right, it's Copper!!

Angry Re: anyone else finding "nos" gm made in "china"

??

1968 Chevy SWB
ZZ383 W/700R4
Gen-II Compact Vintage Air System
PPG paint, Mandarin Copper and Vanilla Shake.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/fastom

Stupid should hurt and eventually become fatal!
fastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #22
rob32472

If american companies would charge a fair price for the goods they produce and not be greedy it would all be good. The bottom stops at the stock holders whom want bigger returns on investment! what we need to do is make an investment in america and think long term instead of short term profits and that includes everyone. Look at our toys, Lead paint now toxic cadmium when are we gonna learn! Maybe 20 years down the road we will figure out why cancer is on the rise! If its in toys its in tvs, cloths, and anything else from china...... just my thoughts if I am in viloation then please remove the post.....
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #23
big_al_71

If you look at most of everything that we own is made some where else

Unfortunetly almost nothing is "Made in USA" anymore

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #24
cdowns

if you want NOS go to hershey pa in october
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:48 PM   #25
shade67

Look into what the Japaneese do- they tax the heck out of the inports- Just like the US did in the 50's and 60's - just to level the playing field.
For years all of the military equipment was only made in America just for the reason that we need to be self sustaining in the event of war. IE: you never know who your true friends or Allies are in the case of war!
As far as unions go they are a good news bad news type of thing. they raise wages all around them and give workers protections from unacceptable dangers. They also can cripple a companies ability to be competitive if left unchecked. In order to protect workers, some worthless pukes are protected and kept employed. I was a union steward and had to defend some people for doing some pretty stupid stuff.
72 chevy K10 swb
01 GMC Sierra
01 Pontiac Bonneville
shade67 is offline   Reply With Quote