The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Header Gaskets Round Or Square, what brand have you had luck with

Hey guys,

I have a 1972 C10 with a rebuilt 5.7 350, it has headers on it and I have a leak at the manifold that is driving me nuts, I have new custom duals with Flowmaster 40's and it sounds like a crappy pre-resto beater lol.

My question is does my 350 have square or round exhaust ports, and what type or brand have you had luck with? I tried to search for an answer but there were a ton of answers but none seemed the same.

Does anyone sell Grade 8 header bolts that you know of? I have broken some on my 427, and it was a nightmare. I would prefer to put grade 8's in now.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
Mudder

Re: Header Gaskets Round Or Square, what brand have you had luck with

Long time ago I had the same problems you do. I went with the regular manifold gaskets that have the little hooks on them that sit on the bolts. They are metalic on one side and three to a side. Cost about 8 bucks.. Small block manifold gasket set. Another thing I did to keep the bolts from working loose, that causes leaks. I cut the header flanges on both sides of the center tubes. Makes it a lot easier to start the bolts and your bolts won't work loose. Believe me, it works.
If you look close you will see the cuts in my flanges. I cut the new set before I sent them off to have them coated.
Attached Images

Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

I had a problem with header bolts backing out a bit which caused a leak & the gaskets would burn out.
I changed to copper gaskets and ARP bolts. Problem pretty much solved.
I still have 1 bolt that wants to back out every once in a while.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
bigsnookmaster

I would look at the header and see what style gasket you need, the flange should pretty much tell you. I use Mr.Gasket Ultra seal gaskets,they seal well and I have re-used them before. I once had a header bolt back out and had a leak for three weeks, put a bolt back in,tightened it up, and no more leak! Don't ask me why I waited three weeks.LOl. I'm not sure of which brand header bolts I used, but they were about $50. They are stainless with an allen set screw in the center. You snug them down and then tighten the set screw. They worked well for me, bought them at the local speed shop. You have to remember that these are only 3/8" bolts so you don't need to overtighten them. My .02 Good luck
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Talking Re: Header Gaskets Round Or Square, what brand have you had luck with

I did the same as Mudder and have not had a problem since!!! It's been about 8 years now.
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I use Felpro header gaskets and over the years I have had great service from using them. Their product has the outer ends with open slots, so hanging them on a bolt is no problem. I usually put in a long bolt on each end to hold the header and the gasket, then as I put in the header bolts and cinch them up, I take out the long bolts and replace them with the ehader bolts.

I use teflon tape on my header bolts and they do NOT back out of the head. They stay where I put them and the teflon does not burn. When it is time to redo the bolts, the tape comes right off and new is put on, again. It is cheap and easy to do and can be purchased at any hardware store.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
leddzepp

x 2 on the copper gaskets if you have headers.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
Camaro_nut2001
Chevy Lover Till The End.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
I use Felpro header gaskets and over the years I have had great service from using them. Their product has the outer ends with open slots, so hanging them on a bolt is no problem. I usually put in a long bolt on each end to hold the header and the gasket, then as I put in the header bolts and cinch them up, I take out the long bolts and replace them with the ehader bolts.

I use teflon tape on my header bolts and they do NOT back out of the head. They stay where I put them and the teflon does not burn. When it is time to redo the bolts, the tape comes right off and new is put on, again. It is cheap and easy to do and can be purchased at any hardware store.
Wow, I use the same brand gasket and use the exact same method on all my motor's, never had a problem. It felt so wierd when I read this, like I wrote it myself, lol.
1968 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe - 327/350hp, TH400, all original.
Members I've met: BamaBaxter,

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=500359
Camaro_nut2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Well, I'm officially a Numb Nuts lol, I am getting ready to pull the header, I go for the first bolt and, man that sure was easy to loosen lol. All but one were hand tight, tighten them up and its back to its mean sounding self.

Sorry guys, next time I will turn the wrench before I type my questions. But, you guys are GREAT, Love the forum, and all the help you guys have given me already. So a big THANKS!

And Mudder, I hate you lol, I want my engine compartment to look like yours! Very nice work!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post

Hey,

Great call on the Teflon, I am going to try this. I love old school cheap preventative measures.

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
chas350

I have found that header bolts always need retightening with new composite gaskets after 1-2 heat cycles as the gasket compress's when its heated. Although I don't believe it would be necessary with copper gaskets, only composite type.

71 K10 long fleet (sons truck) new 370hp 355, sm465 np205, 3.73's 33's
70 K20 long fleet
98 G3500 work van
chas350 is offline   Reply With Quote