The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
cor86

Center cap options with factory ralleys

Hi. I just recieved a Wheel Vintiques 1008-1 smoothy (baby moon) center cap, and of course, it does not fit. I wasn't sure if it would, so I only ordered one. It is supposed to snap in where I circled the picture in red. The flange on the cap wasn't making contact, so I tried to flare it out. Well, it kinda worked, but now it needs to be longer. I really don't want to modify these, unless I have to. Summit had no clue, but they gave me Wheel Vintiques #, who was of no help. Other than the stock caps, what else is there? Is there any company that makes baby moons for our trucks, or am I going to have to buy new wheels?
Attached Images

cor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

Re: Center cap options with factory ralleys

use the center caps of and astro van or a newer truck with the same lug pattern i have seen a few like that and it looks pretty cool
staggerd86c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Keith Seymore

I don't see how that's ever going to work.

These wheels are smooth in the area you are trying to snap the cap into - because they always had a bolt on center cap. It's not like a Corvette rally wheel (or a Pontiac RallyI wheel) where there are features in the wheel to retain the cap.

Even if you could get it to stay (temporarily) I would think it will come flying off the first time you take a turn (or, if you ever come to Michigan, hit a pothole).

The only thought I would have would be to see if you could make some kind of supplemental bracket, that would be held on by three of the lugs and that would provide a feature for the cap to snap into. That would, of course, take some design and fabrication ($ and time).

K

Edit: another idea - maybe you could drill a small hole in three locations around the area where the cap wants to snap. Tap the hole and insert a small set screw in each of the holes. Those would perhaps hold the cap and you could probably even "tune" the amount of set screw sticking out in order to get the right level of retention/installation force. Kind of like the way the "globe" is held onto some light fixtures.
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 03-03-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
truckfan

those wheels are only meant to have the center caps that screw into the predrilled holes, or you can use the ones like the suggestions (asto van) or that attach to some threaded lug nuts. the cap you've shown seems to be for the corvette style rallye wheels (have the ridge that Keith mentioned). the one you pictured is for a 1973-87 chevy truck. Caps bolt on.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
cor86

Keith, I understand what you are saying about the set screws, and lugs, but that won't work. The lugs and set screws would be hidden once the cap is on, making it impossible to access them. I really don't see why it wouldn't stay on, as long as the fit is tight enough. It forms almost a 45* angle right by the mounting flange. I just don't want to spend $52($13 ea.) and a lot of fab time to prove myself wrong. I was hoping that some company made a cap that had a flange that was long enough, with the proper diameter. One possibility I am thinking would be to fab a bracket that is held to the wheel by 3 lugs and comes out to a single point in the center of the wheel. This center point would have a threaded hole, and the cap would have a threaded rod that screwed into that hole. The cap would remain smooth on the outside, and spin on tight. The only problem would be attaching the threaded rod to the cap without discoloring/warping the SS cap. Perhaps a successful design could warrant a blue user name? I really like the baby moon/trim ring look, but don't want to spend the money on new wheels. Thanks for your replies!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Keith Seymore

Just to clarify:

a) The set screws would be adjusted prior to cap installation, and then the cap snapped into place from the front. That was part of what was involved in the ability to "tune" the set screw length.

b) I see where you are heading with the lug nut attaching bracket. Do you suppose some "JB Weld" would hold an attaching stud to the back of the moon cap?

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 03-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
cor86

I never thought about epoxy. Good idea! I now see what you are saying about the set screws. I think the flange would still have to be lengthened, to get it closer to the flat spot. Maybe some tabs welded to the existing flange? I guess I need to get to work. Thanks for clarifying, Keith, I think the set screw idea might be the best plan, because of its simplicity. I might even be able to lightly groove a path for them, with my Dremel, in a L design to allow them to be turned and locked into place.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Keith Seymore

...or....

In conjunction with your lug nut attaching bracket, how about a corresponding bracket inside the moon cap to house the attaching stud? This new bracket could be retained in the flanged area of the cap, rather than affixing the stud on the backside of the "show surface" of the cap.....

K
1986 - 2019
Old 03-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
cor86

That is exactly what I was thinking, before you gave me the epoxy idea. I have a couple of extra stock caps, and plan on cutting them down for the threaded stud idea. That takes care of the wheel bracket, so I just need to figure out the cap stud mounting. I now think this way might be the best, since half of it is already done, and there is no way it can "pop" off. Thanks again, Keith. I will hopefully post some pics sometime next week of a completed piece.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

A baby moon cap need this type of flange (or very similar) to hold it. Anything less, and you won't have a baby moon cap for long.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
bharrison1

Check these out this would open up all kinds of possibilities!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...item3361cb1928
bharrison1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
lo72
Truck Junkie

Why not try some of the old spring style clips? Early style wheels 40s and 50s held the caps on with 5 clips rivited to the wheel centers between the lugs I believe J C Whitney has them
Posted via Mobile Device
lo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrison1 View Post
Check these out this would open up all kinds of possibilities!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...item3361cb1928
That looks like the ticket right there.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
nxtlevl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
That looks like the ticket right there.
That's a pretty cool idea......Might have to try these out, and see how good they actually are..................
nxtlevl is offline   Reply With Quote