The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
munice
regular everyday normal guy

Illuminated Toggle switch contacts? slightly confused..

Hey everybody, I'm thinking about running some fog lights and some extra rear lights and was planning on doing a nice setup with a couple of toggle switches (no AC so i have a little spare dash space) I also thought it'd be nice to get rid of the pull out headlight/park light switch and replace it with one or two toggle switches. I thought itd be cool to use some illuminated switches that i have lying around but im a bit confused on how they work and which terminals are for what. the toggles have 4 terminals on them: two have copper rivets one has a silver rivet and one has a black rivet, i figured this hot neutral and ground but im still a bit confused. And lastly ive also got some switches marked for 24 volts, its that saying they require 12 v to illuminate or that they are rated to handle up to 24v? I do tinker with electronics here and there but ive never fully understood all the different configurations of switches.. any help would be appreciated!
munice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

Re: Illuminated Toggle switch contacts? slightly confused..

can you get us a picture of the switch or the make and model of it, i can probably tell you what they are for.
staggerd86c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
fixit-p

X 2 on the pics. No neutral in dc wiring just positive and negative also with the pics post how many positions on the toggle

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
munice

got some pics taken:

Old 03-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
spinem
haha, ford guys...

are they multiple position switches?
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
qu1cks1lver56

i'd be willing to bet they are multi position switches.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:11 AM   #7
Irish's_79_Step

would it be possible that the light in the switch has its own power? what i would do is find a car used device that your not to worried about breaking take a battery and try the different possitions. if they are rated for 24 volts you should be ok i would think.
Irish's_79_Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
qu1cks1lver56

one should be a ground for the light, one an input, and 2 outputs. but i'd check to be sure.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
fixit-p

Do you have a multimeter to test for continuity, the multipole switches look like some terminals are missing I've never seen any with open holes in the back. On an illuminated switch you need three things 12vdc supply, load and ground terminals.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
Old 03-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
munice

The switches only have 2 positions, and i was assuming the would be on/off hopefully not on/on, and as far as I know they should all be SPST switches, theres no indication that any lugs are missing, I think they just use the same plastic mold for all types of toggles, Thanks for all the great replies!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
fixit-p

What led me to think something was missing isn't the shape of the mold but rather the holes I checked some of my toggles and some have the holes and some don't. It should go something like the pic below but verify this with a multi meter. >>EDIT The one in the pic below has a jumper from the load lug to the + side of the LED on the switches with a separate lug next to the load you can jump from the load lug or tie into the dash lights, just depends on how you want it illuminated.
Attached Images

Quote:

Last edited by fixit-p; 03-11-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Lug descriptions
Old 03-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #12
spinem
haha, ford guys...

take the switches and throw them away. the 20 bucks to replace them will be woth it v.s. starting a fire/causing problems.

end of story.

12v/125v is standard.
24v/220v is odd ball. Its like all my old stereos, their all 220 /w/ 24v switched... (1980's submarine set up)

throw those switches in the trash. the illumanated ones wont even work, the trucks a 12v system... the light will only light /w/ 24v.

as to whom ever said something about one tab made just for the light on the switch...... yes. to light up the little light you dont wanna be drawing from what you are trying to switch, thus it draws from another source....another "+"

please. put them in the trash and be done with it.
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 AM   #13
fixit-p

The only way to tell if a switch is bad or not IMO is with a multimeter to check it's resistance (high resistance = bad, energy will be converted into heat, low resistance = good, presents no risk if used). As far as the voltage rating 24/220 are still common control voltages the amp rating varies with voltage being used typically 15 amps @15-28 volts is common. If the illumination is a 24 volt LED it will still light up fine with 12 volts (I use them all the time in heavy truck applications). As for the lugs these switches can be had in independent illumination or dependent illumination the one with the tab (jumper) the illumination is dependent on the switch being turned on and the ones with the extra lugs are independent, not because they drop too much voltage but just simply if you want them to illuminate with out having to turn on the switch (these probably illuminated when the headlights were turned on, typical on heavy trucks) just my $0.02.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #14
Irish's_79_Step

any l.e.d. takes .4 volts to light up. thats pretty much the only thing i remember from my electrical engineering classes.

^^^ to who ever said something about voltage drop for led.

Last edited by Irish's_79_Step; 03-12-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Irish's_79_Step is offline   Reply With Quote