The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Sway Bar "Binding?"

I read on a post that installing a sway bar /w/ no factory spacers/brackets will cause "binding"....

I stared at my truck for awhile, but the only point that i saw might cause binding was a steering issue, passenger side...

any imput?

Im stock height, 1/2T step short, 74, 350.....no factory sway bar.
can i use no brackets?? I dont wanna get my steering pinned to the left in a tight turn, high speeds....

also! any pics of a rear sway bar!!??
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Re: Sway Bar "Binding?"

If you mean by brackets are the stands that you bolt the c clamp to. I would think that doing that to a stock truck would cause some problems. because of how steep the angle is. Now I really doubt that your steering will get stuck to one side. The sway bar actually doesn't connect to anything that steers the truck. Its connected to the lower control arms. It just helps with weight transfer. That's how i understand it to be!

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinem View Post
I read on a post that installing a sway bar /w/ no factory spacers/brackets will cause "binding"....?
What you read was it "might" cause binding. I have seen the install work just fine with a lowered truck. There is potential for the angle to be too great at the bushings on a stock height truck. It might be just fine, but the angle will be increased considerable and "might" cause premature war on the bushings.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
What you read was it "might" cause binding. I have seen the install work just fine with a lowered truck. There is potential for the angle to be too great at the bushings on a stock height truck. It might be just fine, but the angle will be increased considerable and "might" cause premature war on the bushings.
hummmm. WELL WE'LL FIND OUT! HAHAHA ok, thanks, if it dont work, looks like its time to make some brackets. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79gmcc15 View Post
If you mean by brackets are the stands that you bolt the c clamp to. I would think that doing that to a stock truck would cause some problems. because of how steep the angle is. Now I really doubt that your steering will get stuck to one side. The sway bar actually doesn't connect to anything that steers the truck. Its connected to the lower control arms. It just helps with weight transfer. That's how i understand it to be!
when the truck dips to one side /w/ the steering arm , lets say above the swar bar, and POP! the hard turn causes the steering arm and sway bar to meet, and the sway bar "hangs onto" the steering arm by "poping" ontop of it..........as the truck starts to rise out of the turn the sway bar hangs on the steering arm, thus the steering is pinned. its possible, its happened to a few buddys jeeps, hense the pull pins on the sway bar mounts.

I just dont know about these truck, rather hear a story then tell one.

i know how the sway bar works, it resists body roll.

Last edited by spinem; 03-22-2010 at 12:32 AM.
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote