The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
BigRed 74'

stall converter

I recently bought a 383 and was wondering what size stall converter i should go with. It has a Scat crankshaft, k.b hyper pistons and h-beam connecting rods edelbrock performer plus cam and lifters, edelbrock performer fuel pump, thunder avs 650 carb, and performer eps manifold. The TH 350 was rebuilt and a shift improver kit was added. The rear end is stock right now. It has a TCI Saturday Night Special (1600-1800 stall) torque converter now, but i am wondering if i should go bigger. i was told the engine should put out about 375hp and 400tq. Should i change the converter?
BigRed 74' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Re: stall converter

I'd call TCI. They'll take your info and recommend the correct converter. Cam duration, vehicle weight, type of driving, etc etc all play into selecting the right converter.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
camshaftgsxr

s10fan is right go too big and kiss your gas mileage goodbye too small and it'll be very unhappy all the way to 2500 but an 1800 stall like you have should be right for a street truck... i would think...
Old 04-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Every manufacturer of Torque Converters labels their different than the other guy. What one company calls a 1800 stall may be a 2000 stall in another market line. The comments on the cam info is important to a dealer when they set up a torque converter. Also what is your truck dong at the stop light (right now) when you dirve it. Does the idle speed on your engine make the tranny try to push you through a stop or does the engine idle well without a lot of idle RPMs. This is a good sign that you are not right with your "Stall".
Old 04-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
BigRed 74'

thanks I will try to call TCI and see what they say.
BigRed 74' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #6
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

I would give monster transmissions a call, go to their website, eatmyshift.com, they have a great crew that will explain everything to you and their prices can't be beat. I got my converter through them and I liked it so much I have purchased a few converters for other customers cars and stall is always as advertised.
staggerd86c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 AM   #7
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Every manufacturer of Torque Converters labels their different than the other guy. What one company calls a 1800 stall may be a 2000 stall in another market line. The comments on the cam info is important to a dealer when they set up a torque converter. Also what is your truck dong at the stop light (right now) when you dirve it. Does the idle speed on your engine make the tranny try to push you through a stop or does the engine idle well without a lot of idle RPMs. This is a good sign that you are not right with your "Stall".
listen to the man
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
cableguy0

There are a ton of factors that will cause a converter to stall higher or lower. There no end all be all to building a converter that will stall at a specific rpm. The factors included are vehicle weight, engine size/torque produced. rear end ratio, camshaft size etc etc etc. A converter that stalls at 2300 in a camaro will likely stall closer to 25-2600 in a heavy truck. An 1800 stall should be right in the ball park. If its actually stalling there.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Where does the torque curve start? I run a 2500 stall. My engine has a near smooth curve from 1500 (300 ft/lbs) to max 5200 RPMs (405 ft/lbs). It's a little high for my highway setup but fun to drive and stomp on. As a daily driver, I would go with a 2000-2200 range.