The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Roller Rocker install question

I appologize if this is the wrong forum but I figured you guys would know.

On a previous truck I installed pedistal mounted Roller Rockers. No modification needed no adjustments needed. I really liked the improvement. I am trying to decide which direction to go with my 454 refresh. My issue is the more I look into this yeah the rockers are like $115 but then you start talking about needing studs and guide plates and new lifters and new cam I guess.

My question is if I have a stock 454 block 361959 what all would be needed to convert to a Roller Rocker set-up. If there is alreay a thread please direct me to it.

Thanks for the help I promise this is a the begining of a long line of questions as I start putting this project together
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Roller Rocker install question

just to go to roller rockers you would not need to change cam or lifters. the big block should have guide plates and studs already ,unless it is a newer gen 5 that had the non adjustable valvetrain. it you have that it would greatly benifit you to change. but for info on that call cam help[ comp cams] or summit or jegs they are all pretty great when you need help like that. Jmi
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
1quik70

Unless you plan on spinning that big block to over 6500RPM or have a pretty big cam (over .500 lift), you won't really notice the gains from the roller rockers. They are mostly to help take stress off the valvetrain at high RPM or high spring pressures (big cam).

That being said, they sure wont hurt anything, but dont worry about the new cam, lifters, ect. As long as you have screw in studs, and guide plates go for it! But if not, there is alot better places to spend extra money on these trucks!
1quik70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

That was kind of where I was going. I have a 78 model 454 and it does have studs and guideplates and I see new never used roller rockers on craigslist all the time so that is why I was asking how much trouble to put them on. With the money I plan on spending on this truck if putting these on would help at all and would be affordable I was gonna go for it.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
cdowns

r u talking about roller tip rockers? or tru foll roller rockers?? for $115 a set tru rockers i wouldn't trust the quality to hold up too long
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

several different sets on ebay now, just an idea this is what I am talking about these are $130. If they are crap I don't want them I know the Harland Sharps I put on my Dodge were $300 but again I am learning here.

These are $89 says 30hp over stock haha. I understand quality and am not trying to cut corners just compiling a bunch of ideas right now.

Last edited by Quackaddict; 04-19-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
cpetersen

If you get the roller bearing type, you will need to change the stud length. Stock ones won't be long enough. ARP makes a good set of studs. They are about an 1/2" longer. Hey good luck.
cpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

actually looking at some lunati ones, what length ARP's do I need to get, (overall length)

Another thought can you use the roller rockers with stock height valve covers? reading about the polylocks and 1/2 inch bigger studs. Just bought new valve covers and they are stock height.

Last edited by Quackaddict; 04-19-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
cpetersen

I think a stock one is 1.65> It is the next size up. I think the only make 2 sizes. It was maybe 3/8" or 1/4" longer. I just took the rocker and the stud down there and matched them up.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quik70 View Post

That being said, they sure wont hurt anything, but dont worry about the new cam, lifters, ect.
I have decided to step up my cam, I am not going to go full roller as far as cam and lifter (too much $$$) just going to us a slightly larger Lunati Cam, I know on my dodge I was able to just install the roller rockers onto the flat tappet cam and lifters.

Can I order just the roller rockers and install them in place of the factory stamped steel rockers? Skip White has a nice set that is reasonable priced I was thinking of snatching up, then I would only have to replace the studs to the longer ones.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
cpetersen

People want to run great big lobbed cams. But you take away to much vacuum and you can't run power brakes or auto trans. They sure sound cool, but for the street kind of unpractical. I'm running a 268 comp cam in my BBC and it not the x one. It still gives me plenty of torque. It pulls nasty. Just run a little more rearend gear. I'm running 3.42's, i used to run 3.73 with 50 series BFG's. It was silly going down the freeway. It was pulling 3500 rpm. The 3.42 are alot more managable. Funny thing is if you want hear your cam running go to youtube and type your cam in the search slot and turn up your speakers. There is a guy that has a 454 with open supercomp headers idling on there. Its in a 63-64 ford truck. Love the way that truck sounds. Makes the hair on my arms stand up.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Not going to go crazy with the cam just going to add a little more grunt. My truck is a 4x4 w/ 4:56's on 37's. I have a manual tranny as well with power brakes. Looking at the lunati 272/280 cam. Just trying to see if there is any benefit to the rockers at all even if the only benefit is less stress on the drivetrain.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
1quik70

That will be truely your only benefit with your current set-up!
1quik70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
cpetersen

I don't think it really matters, they sure look cool. Its not like we are out running 7000 with your SB or 6500 with my BBC. Oh by the way if you used the stamp rockers i think you can use your stock studs. What the really use them for is high rpm engines and it takes the friction off of the springs which reduces heat, friction, etc, etc. They are getting getting so cheap it was cool to get a set. I got set of procomps, i think they were $118.00, but i'm not going to severe duty them. Heck i think i paid $40.00 for the studs.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

I have a big block 454 in mine. My delima is kind of like what you are saying, I spent the money for headers, cam, carb and intake another 150 bucks to upgrade the rockers in my mind makes sense but if the overall thinking is that it won't make a difference I just don't know.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #16
cpetersen

It won't make any differance. LOL just don't get your wife involved. Oh you will have to get get taller valve covers when you run the locks. Can't use stock covers.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #17
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

got new tall valve covers.

I ordered my new cam and timing chain.

If I did end up going with the roller rockers and since I have a new camshaft with higher duration are different length pushrods required?

Also gonna pop my valve cover in the morning I guess there is a pretty noticable differnce between 3/8 and 7/16 studs, gotta also figure out which new studs I need but I am sure I could call summitt to order them.

Last edited by Quackaddict; 04-22-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #18
cpetersen

May want to check with a machine shop< but i think they are the same>