The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Trying to get a trailer looking good enough to pull behind the "ol" 70. Need Advise

I am repainting a jet-ski trailer that is in great condition except for little rust spots all over the place making it look like crap. I used one of those green bristle discs on a mini air angle grinder. Those green bristle discs eat right through the rust and affected paint no problem. Now instead of a rust pock marked trailer I have little patches of exposed metal allover. Can I just feather out the bare spots instead of sanding down the whole dang trailer? I am thinking that even though I have the spots down to shiny metal that I would spray the areas with a rust conversion product to make sure the rust does not come back to haunt me. I would like to rattle can a coat of primer and have the trailer all ready for a friend that has agreed to spray a finish on it for me if I have all of the prep work done.

So my questions are.
1) Am I going about this the right way or should I do something different?
2) Is there a good rattle can primmer that I can use? Primer sealer?
3) For a finish coat should I use epoxy paint or something else.

Last edited by lts70; 06-01-2010 at 01:15 PM.
lts70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
1quik70

Re: Trying to get a trailer looking good enough to pull behind the "ol" 70. Need Advi

You are on the right track! Just feather the edges of the bare spots, and spot prime them first. Then scuff the primer and the rest of the original finish, and give it all a good prime! Then you can finish as you wish!
1quik70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Re: Trying to get a trailer looking good enough to pull behind the "ol" 70. Need Advi

What kind of primer would you guys use?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
jsmithbm

2k etch primer to cover the bare metal spots lightly sand the entire thing and apply a normal 2k primer, wet sand that then apply your top coat.