The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
JRBECK64

Motor Mounts Question?

I am using a 67 Frame which had different Motor Mounts than on the 69, is there a way to install the 69 motor mounts on the 67 Pearches or is there a aftermarket bolt on kit for the newer application? My 69 350 is soon to be done at the machinest who is rebuilding it. My Sons and I took the old mounts off the 67 frame and took the motor mount Pearches off the 69 and none of the bolt holes line up on the 67. I was thinking we may have to wait for the engine to get back and bolt the mounts and pearches to the engine and then drop it on the frame and then drill new holes for the pearches. Has anyone ran into this Problem and what did you do to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Motor Mounts Question?

where were the perches bolted in on your frame, front two or rear two holes?

FYI, 63-72 frames are mostly identical except 68-72 are narrowed on the top to allow for Big Block motors.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
michael bustamante

the difference might be in the engine/tranny setup your truck origionally came with alot of these 67 had a 250 inline six with a standard trans in them factory (skinnier towers then). if your dropping a v8 wiith a auto trans, youll want to use 67-72 v8 motor mount towers and bolt up to the 2 front holes. if using a manual trans I believe youd bolt up to the rear 2 holes in the frame, it depends more on the set up youre going to install

Last edited by michael bustamante; 06-10-2010 at 03:50 PM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
where were the perches bolted in on your frame, front two or rear two holes?

FYI, 63-72 frames are mostly identical except 68-72 are narrowed on the top to allow for Big Block motors.
Clyde65,

I believe it was the front two holes. The perches are completely different from the 67 to the 69. The original motor is a 67 327 V8 with the original TH400 behind that. That being said I am putting in a 69 350 with a 200R4 behind that. Now I know I will have to move the Tranny Cross Member but Getting the mounts correct for the engine is the problem. None of the wholes align in the frame or the crossmember on the front end. Remember I am trying to put 69 perches on a 67 frame without much luck. I was kind of hoping someone in here has seen this before and hopefully someone has.

JRBECK64
Old 06-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
the difference might be in the engine/tranny setup your truck origionally came with alot of these 67 had a 250 inline six with a standard trans in them factory (skinnier towers then). if your dropping a v8 wiith a auto trans, youll want to use 67-72 v8 motor mount towers and bolt up to the 2 front holes. if using a manual trans I believe youd bolt up to the rear 2 holes in the frame, it depends more on the set up youre going to install
michael bustamante,
I bought this truck from the original owner and it had the original 327 backed by a TH400, now i am putting in a 69 327 and a 200R4 behind that. I know I need to move the tranny mount but the Perches for the Motor Mounts is the problem. They dont match up to any of the holes on the 67 frame I am trying to mount them to.

JRBECK64
Old 06-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
raycow

If you measure from the bellhousing face to the mount on both transmissions, I believe you will find that you won't have to move the crosssmember.

How about doing a test install with the front mounts and frame brackets already bolted to the engine? Let the transmission mount determine the position of the front mounts. Mark the hole locations for the frame brackets on the side rails, pull the engine, and drill all the holes.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
eagleuh1

Pictures, show us the pictures!!! Of the perches you're using.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
Pictures, show us the pictures!!! Of the perches you're using.
X2, pictures of the perches/mounts will help us help you.

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
michael bustamante

along withthe pics of the motor mount towers, can you also let us know if youre using stock ignition or if you went to an hei?
im running a 67 also with a 350 and hei, with a 700r4 trans, When I did mine I took the motor and motormount stands from a 69 and mounted them in the front two holes to make clearance for the hei. when I installed the 700 r4 I had to move the auto tranny crossmember about 3 inches back and drill new mounting holes. I dont know if the 700 r4 and the 200 have the same housing. but that shouldnt affect where you mount your engine so much as where to mount the trans crossmember. im really interested to see wht mounts you have that make them so different from any others of our era.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
If you measure from the bellhousing face to the mount on both transmissions, I believe you will find that you won't have to move the crosssmember.

How about doing a test install with the front mounts and frame brackets already bolted to the engine? Let the transmission mount determine the position of the front mounts. Mark the hole locations for the frame brackets on the side rails, pull the engine, and drill all the holes.

Ray
Ray,
I kind of already told my Son that exact thing you wrote above. When I measured the two trannys I found about an inch difference between the two. So your probably right about not moving the Tranny Cross member because I can always eat up an inch forward or moving back in the engine compartment. Thanks for the Idea.

JRBECK64
Old 06-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
along withthe pics of the motor mount towers, can you also let us know if youre using stock ignition or if you went to an hei?
im running a 67 also with a 350 and hei, with a 700r4 trans, When I did mine I took the motor and motormount stands from a 69 and mounted them in the front two holes to make clearance for the hei. when I installed the 700 r4 I had to move the auto tranny crossmember about 3 inches back and drill new mounting holes. I dont know if the 700 r4 and the 200 have the same housing. but that shouldnt affect where you mount your engine so much as where to mount the trans crossmember. im really interested to see wht mounts you have that make them so different from any others of our era.
Pictures will be posted tonight. Thanks for all the help.

JRBECK64
Old 06-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
JRBECK64

OK ON THE PICTURES, IF I weren't going to Southern Oregon Today to pick up a 1965 GTO then I would probably would post them right now.

JRBECK64
Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
JRBECK64

This is a picture of the old to the left and the new to the right. If you need better pics let me know.

This is a picture of the new 69 perch.

Here is a picture of the 67 perch.

Thanks again for any help you can give with this.

JRBECK64
Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
raycow

That looks like a 73-up mount and bracket. People use them all the time to get the later style mounts. No problem with swapping them, but as you already noted, you do have to drill new holes.

Ray
Old 06-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

yep, you have the wrong mounts. They are better, but not correct.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #16
JRBECK64

Quote:
That looks like a 73-up mount and bracket. People use them all the time to get the later style mounts. No problem with swapping them, but as you already noted, you do have to drill new holes.

Ray
Ray,
So is there a 67-72 mount that will bolt right to the holes in the frame and the crossmember that will work for the newer mounts or do I have to drill new holes? Here is the thing I dont want to have to depend on the strap from the 67 mounts or I would just use them.

JRBECK64
Old 06-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #17
garyed08

u can always use the 67 perches on the 350 motor. just use the mounts off of your old 327. they are the same as the original mounts that came with the 69 350. just take the 3 bolts off the motor and put the 327 mounts on your 350. should drop right back in.

Last edited by garyed08; 06-11-2010 at 09:56 PM.
garyed08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #18
raycow

I'm not completely sure I am understanding your comment about having to "depend on the strap from the 67 mounts".

Take a look near the bottom of this page
http://www.classicheartbeat.com/panel_8.htm
This is a one-year-only part that was used on 72 big block trucks. Is that the kind of mount/bracket you are asking about? If yes, I can't see any obvious reason why it shouldn't work with a SB.

If I'm not answering your question, please tell me what point I am missing and I will be glad to try again.

Ray
Old 06-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #19
JRBECK64

Quote:
I'm not completely sure I am understanding your comment about having to "depend on the strap from the 67 mounts".

Take a look near the bottom of this page
http://www.classicheartbeat.com/panel_8.htm
This is a one-year-only part that was used on 72 big block trucks. Is that the kind of mount/bracket you are asking about? If yes, I can't see any obvious reason why it shouldn't work with a SB.

If I'm not answering your question, please tell me what point I am missing and I will be glad to try again.

Ray
Ray,
The reason that in 1967 there was a cable that went from the frame to the engine is because if the rubber mount broke it would completely seperate and the motor would leap out of the engine compartment from the torque. Im not sure which year they started using an interlocking Engine Mount but that is the main reason I want to use the newer engine mount. I didn't believe this until I saw the cable that was on the stock 327 that was attached to the frame. Should I use the stock 67 mounts? Maybe I should and yes it would be easier but I like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Im just trying to find out when Chevrolet went away from the 67 Style engine mounts and if they would fit the bolt holes on the 67 frame. If they dont then I guess I will be fitting the newer perches and mounts I have and drilling the holes. Im beginning to wonder if the perches and the mounts were for a big block because the frame I took the mounts off of that had the 69 350 in it had a 396 in it before I bought it. The guy that sold it to me took the big block out of it and installed the 350 before i bought it. Thanks for all the help.

JRBECK64

Last edited by JRBECK64; 06-12-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #20
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyed08 View Post
u can always use the 67 perches on the 350 motor. just use the mounts off of your old 327. they are the same as the original mounts that came with the 69 350. just take the 3 bolts off the motor and put the 327 mounts on your 350. should drop right back in.
garyed08,
Im beginning to think that might be the easiest solution, I just dont like the non interlocking mounts mainly because I am going to be putting a 350HP motor where a 260HP motor used to reside and the mounts are 40 some odd years old. this is just one more of those unforseen fab moments that I am trying to avoid and the main reason I post this question here is because Im sure someone along the way has dealt with this issue and had hoped that I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel to get it done. Thanks for the advise.
JRBECK64
Old 06-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #21
norwegianc10

Something like this?
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #22
into69z
"brand new second-hand"

I might have a solution-use the original towers and mounts from the 67-or you can use the 69-the difference is on the rubber motor mount drill thru from one side to the other, I did mine three times, in a triangle pattern, take a tap and tap one side of that plate that sandwiches the rubber and insert a bolt thru the one side-thru the rubber-and finally into the threaded side. By tapping only one side, the mount still has the flexiblity it needs so you don't feel the vibrations but still have the travel limits. What this does is gives you the strentgh you need so the rubber does not seperate from either side. I have this set up in my 67 Camaro and I used to drag race with the car 400+ horsepower with no issues. You really can't tell any difference and it's cheap to do.
67 Camaro
96 Impala ss-sold
04 hybrid Honda-saving gas for the blue truck!:
b69:
into69z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #23
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
Ray,
The reason that in 1967 there was a cable that went from the frame to the engine is because if the rubber mount broke it would completely seperate and the motor would leap out of the engine compartment from the torque. Im not sure which year they started using an interlocking Engine Mount but that is the main reason I want to use the newer engine mount. JRBECK64
Ok, now I understand where you are coming from. I do remember those cables (they were used on the cars too) and IMO, they are a poor patch. The good news is that there is definitely an interlocking replacement for the early type mount that will work with the original frame bracket. The bad news is that I can't remember the Anchor number for it. If you can find a parts store with a real partsperson who knows how to read a catalog, he/she should be able to find it for you.

Ray
Old 06-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #24
raycow

Ok, found it. Look at Anchor #2282. If your supplier doesn't carry Anchor they should have an interchange from the Anchor number to their regular line.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=314946

Ray
Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #25
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianc10 View Post
Something like this?
norwegianc10,
Thats exactly what I am looking for. Do you have a link to the wbebsite? Thanks

JRBECK64