The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
jbgroby

UPS Shipping Charges - Just Crazy

This morning I went to place an order with Unity Spotlight to get a new on/off switch for the S-6 spotlight I have for my '60 GMC, I got a crazy surprise.

After filling out the order form on-line, you need select the shipping method, the CHEAPEST method is UPS ground at $14.85. This part only weights about 2 oz. and is not a hazardous product. I emailed Unity to see if they would put the part in a padded envelope and mail it regular, waiting to hear back.
I told them the shipping will cost them a sale. I'm not being cheap lord knows I both spent and wasted money on theis truck already, but this is just seems over the top.

I don't care how many different zones it has to travel through, a padded envelope is all needed.

jJke "Grumpy" Groby
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
gtbrain

Re: UPS Shipping Charges - Just Crazy

Yes it is nuts.

Although I do have a good thing to say about ECE. I ordered some lowered sway bar brackets and encountered the same thing with an expensive shipping option. It was just two small brackets, probably less than a couple of pounds. I was pleasantly surprised to get a call shortly after placing my order. The guy told me they could use the postal services "if it fits it the box it mails for five bucks" thing. I told him thanks.

May be worth checking with them to see if they would be willing to send it that way.
gtbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Sillyoldman

That hurts but I figure it usually costs me about six bucks in gas to chase a part. I'm kind of at the point in which I need a bunch of parts. I can only afford a couple items at a time but I don't want to pay shipping on each. I'm saving up for a nice bulky order.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

You might try a couple of their distributors. Here's one that's cheaper, not much but every little bit counts. I think the switch is cheaper too:

http://www.vlsusa.com/cgi-bin/vlsusa...ml?id=WkXxECFU
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
TheDark1
Intentionally Left Blank

I ran into the same situation yesterday with some labels for a special printer. They were only $15 but it was $10 to ship them. I could have run all over town, but my big truck only gets 9mpg and there's no guarantee that I would find them locally.
2004 Jeep Wrangler (Sold)
2013 Jeep Wrangler (Sold)
2017 Jeep Wrangler (Blacked Out on 35's)
2011 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2015 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2018 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2020 D-Max Dually Denali on 33x12.50's
1979 GMC Short Bed Step-Side 4x4 350/350 Low Miles
TheDark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
TopFuel1966

Don't blame it all on UPS. Some vendors jack up the actual cost of the shipping and call the additional charge "shipping & handling". The "handling" part of the charge depends on the what the vendor feels his time is worth to box your order and the cost of the packaging supplies, etc. and in some cases he will add a markup to that.
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
jbgroby

Point taken. It just sates the UPS charge, no handling fees. Back around 1990 JC Penny got is all sorts of trouble for that, they were charging a "handling Fee" and not stating the extra money and saying it was the USPS mailing fees, they had to offer a rebate or discount to all who had ordered from them.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

I ran into that with some parts recently ordered....

father in law needed a 5 oz. plastic tailgate handle for his 01 Nissan truck, part was $6 and the shipping was $12 "shipping and handling" plus $4 handling... I called them asking if the $12 should include the handling charges, especially for a small light item, their exact words "$12 is shipping $4 is handling, that is standard for all part regardless of size or weight... when it arrived it cost them $4.30 to ship it...
I called them back stating I see the label showing $4.30 to ship, so why was i charged $12 for shipping and $4 for handling, they changed their story saying the first handling part is for the mail room and the other is for the pickers... no matter what I said or did they refused to refund me anything.... I would suggest not ordering from rockauto.com, I will not again.
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Just my $.02 on handling charges...Where I work, if I'm shipping something UPS, I've got to spend a few minutes on the phone with the customer, pack it, weigh it, measure it (UPS demands exact dimensions), fill out a ticket in duplicate with all the customer's info, then enter all that into UPS Worldship again. I usually get interrupted at least three times during this process. So I don't feel guilty at all charging $5 handling, even though sometimes it adds 50% to the shipping cost. I mean, my time really is worth something to my boss, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

I understand a few dollars for handling, but some of these places are charging double and triple the normal chipping cost for a half pound plastic piece. In my case double charged me for handling.
$16 shipping and handling for a $6 5 oz. plastic piece, yet the 50lb replacement bumper mount for my Durango cost $60 plus $10 shipping and handling (bought from a different online vendor). Same goes with computer parts, thats why I stick with a few respected vendors that have either free or cheap shipping and handling charges. Thats also why I don't buy off ebay anymore, these people show $12 shipping yet you receive it and they paid $3, so they pocketed that extra $9. They used the free post office boxes, local newspaper for wrapping and padding so no extra cost for "handling" there.

These companies are hurting, they are using every twist possible to make the extra money
-------------------
Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Try shipping & handling charges as well as brokerage fees of $50.00 + from UPS on items over $25.00 from the U.S. I request USPS for all purchases. Post Office does not charge brokerage fees. Delivers to my door. Books are exempt, thank God.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

thats how they make there money too shipping,cost them a buck to ship and charge 12.95
another rip off is when you use a credit card and you got to spend a min. in the store to use the card.
i hate that

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
ronh72c10

UPS is criminal at times, aerotruk mentioned the brokerage fee, I had one order that got broken into three boxes, they charged a brokerage fee on each box, the total fees were $250 on a $750 order, most of that $250 was brokerage fees and that did not include the shipping charge.

Ron
38 Ford Tudor Humpback Sedan (from the darkside)
67 Pontiac Parisienne
55 Studebaker Commander 2dr Hardtop (Starliner)
My Youtube channel with Video Updates!
ronh72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
jbgroby

Hey, I WON I WON!!

Go this reply from my note I sent Unity on the crazy shipping prices.

Jake,

Thank you for your comment.

We have finally added the US Postal Service as an shipping option. If you would like to try to place an order again, please feel free or if you have any
questions, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Torres
Unity Manufacturing
1260 N Clybourn Ave
Chicago, IL 60610
P: 312-943-5200 Ext. 211
F: 312-943-6581
Old 07-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #15
Baradium
Binder Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwillie 696969 View Post
thats how they make there money too shipping,cost them a buck to ship and charge 12.95
another rip off is when you use a credit card and you got to spend a min. in the store to use the card.
i hate that
The credit card agreements with vendors require no minimum purchase amount (IE they aren't allowed to charge it). They are allowed to charge a fee but min purchases aren't allowed. If it really annoys you, a call to your credit card issuer will likely result in either them changing their policy or losing the ability to accept credit cards.
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

The problem is that credit card companies typically "charge" the business $1 to 4 EACH customer payment/charge, depending on the company the business/store uses. Think of them like WalMart, they charge the bulk processing companies that handle large amounts of charges like $1 each, yet a small company that handles maybe 500 charges per month gets nailed with $4 per charge.
With my work it is I believe $3.50 per charge, but also that is why we stopped taking AmEx, because they wanted to change their rates from $5.50 to $7 PER charge since we were below the minimum number of transactions. That is why most companies/stores have a minimum charge amount of $5-10. That is also why my works does not have any rates/services below $10 per month, with a few rare exceptions for check paying customers.
-------------------
Old 07-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #17
gator2511

Angry Re: UPS Shipping Charges - Just Crazy

I just shipped a revolver frame and barrel out to have it ported. I removed the cylinder so it was impossible to fire it. UPS said it was still a dangerous firearm even with the cylinder removed! The only way they would ship it was by using next day service for $70.06!! THE PORTING WAS ONLY $125. I leaned over the counter and said go ahead and shove it to me while I'm in the right position. It was do it their way or don't ship it at all.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #18
jbgroby

Could you have shipped it in two small boxes? The only way they could have sait it was dangerous was to be hit in the head with them.

Last edited by jbgroby; 07-11-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #19
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator2511 View Post
I just shipped a revolver frame and barrel out to have it ported. I removed the cylinder so it was impossible to fire it. UPS said it was still a dangerous firearm even with the cylinder removed! The only way they would ship it was by using next day service for $70.06!! THE PORTING WAS ONLY $125. I leaned over the counter and said go ahead and shove it to me while I'm in the right position. It was do it their way or don't ship it at all.
When I was selling firearms, if a distributor/wholesaler used UPS, it always had to go second day air.
The reason UPS gave was second day air minimized employee theft of firearms; fewer people had less time for thieving.
Great company, huh?

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #20
gator2511

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
Could you have shipped it in two small boxes? The only way they could have sait it was dangerous was to be hit in the head with them.
I just told them the truth, I don't need to get involved with illegal firearms stuff. You can ship USPS if you have a FFL but I dont. Fed Ex said they would not ship anything to do with a firearm. I think UPS has a thing going on and they are taking advantage of it and cheating you! I told the UPS guy that a hammer would be more dangerous than this part of a gun but it did no good.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote