The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
SnS C10

Quadrajet removal questions

I have an 84 c10 swb. 305 v8-700r4. Engine is all stock. Im getting an edelbrock 650cfm carb and high rise edelbrock aluminum intake for the truck. Any problems i will run into removing the qjet and stock manifold as far as sensors and what not on the carb? will also be removing the smog pump, cruise control, complete ac unit. I just want the engine to have power steering, altenator, water pump, and thats it. I did this before on a 79 blazer but there seems to be a bit more electrical involved with the engine on the 84. can i just eliminate all electrical besides altenator, ignition, and starter and still start the engine without showing any warning lights? also, how will the 650 and highrise feel in the truck? much more responsive or? thanks for the help everyone
SnS C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
83burban

Re: Quadrajet removal questions

Id think a dual plane would be a better choice for a daily driver. The high rise is more for higher rpm power.

As for electrical, you should be fine taking it all off. You should check to see if the distributer has ESC or not, if it does you might have to switch it out for an HEI unit that has vacuum advance.

Others will know more about the electrical that me though.
83burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
jasonroman

subscribing... looking to do the same in my 85.
well carb and intake. dont think the intake i was looking for was high rise.
and after reading your post. if i dont need smog thing, ill look to delete.
i dont use ac..look to delete. and cruise control never used..look to delete.
hopefully youll get help and i can gain some info along the way.
where did you get the carb?
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
SnS C10

well im getting the carb and high rise manifold for really cheap so its the option i have to run for now. will it run well on a stock daily driven 305?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
SnS C10

i just looked and my HEI distributor does not have a vacuum advance canister on it. Do i need an HEI with a canister to hook up the vacuum port on the edelbrock or can both ports be plugged? why does my distributor not have a canister? is there no vacuum advance line going to my stock quadrajet?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Adams74Chevy

I wouldn't use that intake, your better off with a dual plane intake on a stock to mild engine run on the street. As far as taking off the unwanted belt driven items that should be just unbolting and run.
1987 V20 Custom Deluxe 350 TH400 NP208 "farm truck" getting parted out.
2016 Nissan Altima grocery getter/commuter
Adams74Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
SnS C10

picked up the parts today and its a 600 cfm mechanical choke and a performer rpm standard aluminum intake manifold, not a high rise. thanks for the advice/info guys
Old 07-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
3r!c84
Badass

i got that intake.siting in the box lol planed on using it but never got around to it

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
OleBlue79

I would keep the Q-jet. More power and better economy. Just my 2 cents...
OleBlue79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #10
ppbr2001

Plus with the cleaner flipped they just sound awesome!!! (The qjet that is)
ppbr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

If your distributor has a 4 wire plug coming off it you probably have the computer controlled ignition and the electronic Qjet, if so not sure how you will pass smog
Does your Qjet look like this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Malo83; 07-10-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
grinch4om
dang its hot

I would not use any of that stuff if it runs good now. You won't see much of an improvement. plan out your total engine goal. If you try to peice meal with "deal parts", you will be dissatisfied. start with free flowing exhaust, small tube headers, good free flowing pipes and mufflers, in Cali the smog cops will gitcha!
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
grinch4om
dang its hot

I did my 305 that way and it ran reliably and sounded good, still a pooch compared to the 454 in it now but performed ok.

Last edited by grinch4om; 07-10-2010 at 09:43 AM.
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
jasonroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBlue79 View Post
I would keep the Q-jet. More power and better economy. Just my 2 cents...
i was looking for an ebrock carb. and have seen this statement a couple times...
i thought a qjet was a stock part. and that an ebrock carb would be a performance part= more power or possitives over stock parts.??
saw a ebrock at pep boys for 250 another for 380.
for a carb for my truck thats not a performance carb, numbers are like 450+
????
Old 07-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
SnS C10

i removed the smog pump. ac compressor and the lines. charcoal canister and lines. added a weiand aircleaner setup. added accel hi energy coil, msd rotor and cap and new plugs and wires. replaced all vacuum lines and plugged some others to the carb. it runs great now, probably gained around 10-15 horsepower by eliminating two pulleys and belts and new air cleaner alone. Im thinking i will just change to the aluminum performer intake but retain the qjet because it is running well now. plus im going to add long tube headers and a made my me custom exhaust pipes into dual 40 series flowmasters. i will worry about smog when it comes time to.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Any pics
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #17
PRattenbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun23a11en View Post
i removed the smog pump. ac compressor and the lines. charcoal canister and lines. added a weiand aircleaner setup. added accel hi energy coil, msd rotor and cap and new plugs and wires. replaced all vacuum lines and plugged some others to the carb. it runs great now, probably gained around 10-15 horsepower by eliminating two pulleys and belts and new air cleaner alone. Im thinking i will just change to the aluminum performer intake but retain the qjet because it is running well now. plus im going to add long tube headers and a made my me custom exhaust pipes into dual 40 series flowmasters. i will worry about smog when it comes time to.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the Performer RPM manifold youhave is a square bore, and the QJet you have is a spread bore. They will not work together if that is the case. Several people have given you good advice. The QJet and stock manifold you have will give you better performance on the sreet than the stuff you are contemplating putting on. Sell that manifold and buy a regular Performer intake if you must have an aluminum intake. Like I said, though, the previous posters are telling you the truth.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
SnS C10

just incase there is some confusion, this is a regular performer manifold. I believe you guys i just thought that edelbrock made a manifold like the performer to outperform a stock manifold. is this not that case? if so, then why is the performer being produced? im all for selling the the carb/manifold if the stock parts give me the same performance.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #19
jasonroman

any pics of before and after?
when replacing vaccume lines, what did you do? go to store and buy couple feet of line and just cut to fit? i actually went to store today with that in mind. thought about replacing lines to see if maybe new lines would help me out. i think my qjet might be bad tho...and then again, when the guy asked me what size lines i needed, i didnt know what sizes i needed.
good to hear your in good shape over there

and i personally thought the same thing as for carb and intake mani.
i figured stock parts were stock parts. and that aftermarket/performance parts were made to out perform stock parts.
made to make trucks run better and stronger than stock parts.

Last edited by jasonroman; 07-10-2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: forgot the end
Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #20
OleBlue79

The thing with the Q-jets is that they flow like 730cfm wide open. They have small barrels in the front that give you economy and giant barrels in the back for when you put your foot in it. The 600 Ebrock has 4 barrels that are the same size. Probably get a little less MPG with it. I bought a Summit Stage 1 intake but I'm fixing to pull it off and go with my back with my stock intake. I've researched this quite a bit (after the fact of course) and a stock intake will generally make more torque that an aluminum aftermarket. I guess it all depends what you want. Mine is a C-20 longbed that will never be a hotrod. I have a set of flat top pistons and headers with a 373 rearend.. I figue I may as well make it pull strong.
OleBlue79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #21
PRattenbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun23a11en View Post
just incase there is some confusion, this is a regular performer manifold. I believe you guys i just thought that edelbrock made a manifold like the performer to outperform a stock manifold. is this not that case? if so, then why is the performer being produced? im all for selling the the carb/manifold if the stock parts give me the same performance.
There is a difference between a regular Performer intake and a Performer RPM. In Post #7 you said it was a Performer RPM. A regular Performer intake would be fine, but I must say again, a Quadrajet is a spread bore carb. It has small ports in the front, big ports in the back. Look at your aluminum manifold. Are all the ports the same size? If so, the combo will not work together. Just trying to help, man.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
benoit454
Chris

Ok first off I'd switch to an edelbrock anyday, anytime I've changed it's been better with an eddy then a quadrajunk on it. I put one on a stock 86 305 truck, with factory intake, had to use a spacer to do this a spread bore to square bore adapter plate.

Did the same on the 84 c10's 305. We removed all the smog junk and a/c on the 86 and all the smog junk on the 84, it had no a/c stock. I'd do it in a heartbeat as long as you don't have to pass emissions test.

As for dist. never seen one without a vac. adv. unit. The 86 had the 4 pin plugin and computer for it and so did the 84 but both had vac. adv. units.

I don't think you need it if it runs fine now, it's just to help give it more advance, if it runs good and plenty of power wouldn't worry too much.

On the other hand if you are eliminating all the other stuff might as well fine another vac. adv. dist hei style or bypass the 4 wire plugin, there's 2 wires that you cut and splice together and it'll bypass the computer. That will make it act like a reg. dist. but still won't have vac. adv. Both ports could be plugged fine, ones is ported/timed the other is full vac. all the time.

It will work with the 700r4 tv cable but you may want to look into the new geometery correction kit they have for it to make sure it's perfectly setup to work as it should or as best as it can with the ddy to ensure you have a good 700 for as long as you want to use it. if not then it may be sluggish, or erractic on shifting. Ours sure was on the 86, it was either slow and slipped going from 1 into 2, or it was hard and took alot of rpms and forever to come out of first and when it did it hit hard. If it doesn't have the throttle stud be prepared to order the right one from edelbrock or summit, or make one work with a small bolt and nuts, same for the kickdown stud.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote