The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
steverino66

I'm stuck - 83 column wiring for lights

My truck is road ready EXCEPT…
I put an 83 tilt column in the 66, kept the dash ignition, which works fine. I connected 7 wires from each vehicle column plug, color to same color with only brown hazard wire on the 83 column left disconnected. I studied 66 wire diagram and the partial 83 which wasn't 100% clear.
Headlights, dome, dash lights are okay.
Problem - can't get turn signals or tail lights working (bulbs are good, new wires on both, tail lights work with power attached directly to plug at firewall); right brake light works when depressing brake pedal; installed new dimmer switch, headlight switch, flasher unit on fuse box, new fuses all there.
Will the Amer. Autowire plug adapter solve this problem? Other thoughts welcome..
I had it at the local mechanic who said he'd need 6 hours labor to sort it out, so I'm probably looking at a whole new harness if I can't solve the mystery here.
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
bama63

Re: I'm stuck - 83 column wiring for lights

that adapter is offered by lmc & speedway motors just to name a few and should cure your problem it worked great for me hope this helps

Last edited by bama63; 07-22-2010 at 04:49 PM.
bama63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
steverino66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama63 View Post
that adapter is offered by lmc & speedway motors just to name a few and should cure your problem it worked great for me hope this helps
thanks, bama-
I'll definitely try that before starting over, since all the wires are I haven't replaced seem to be in good shape, just a matter of sorting out the puzzle.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

I had a similar problem when I put in a column from a 71 or 72...

Make sure that the switch that you push in for the hazard lights on the "new" column is pulled out so that the circuit is not made. Mine was pushed in and gave me the same issues that you mentioned above...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
nomrlz

would using a van colum without the ignition cure this problem? i'm thinkin of goin that route in when i do the swap in my boys 66
nomrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
steverino66

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Make sure that the switch that you push in for the hazard lights on the "new" column is pulled out so that the circuit is not made. Mine was pushed in and gave me the same issues that you mentioned above...
That's a very good thought also; since I didn't want it (or the key cylinder), I removed that hazard switch with my favorite hacksaw, maybe made contact in the process; I'll tear into the column to look at it and check out the turn signal switch at the same time. Probably also go with the AAW wiring adapter to make sure connections are right.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
steverino66

PROGRESS REPORT!
I found and fixed a combination of minor problems, I now have taillights and brake lights, but this one mystery remains:
Rear turn signals work fine; however, when both front turn signal bulbs are in place, the 2 front signals flash together with either rear turn signal activated. If I remove one front bulb, the remaining front signal works properly with the same side back signal.
The 83 truck had a separate signal and hazard flasher on fuse box. I've doublechecked all my under-dash wiring, the brown hazard wire coming out of the 83 column is not connected anywhere and the hazard switch on the turn signal cam is definitely not engaged.
Ideas?