The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
storked82

Upholstry ?

HI GUYS
Im wanting to know what glue to use on a head linner ect I have done
My own head linner and I used 3ms super 77 glue And now my head linner has
Come unglued now im looking for some GOOD glue that can handel the heat any suggestions on what glue to use

Thanks for the help

Jeff Main
storked82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
slugish
Slugish

Re: Upholstry ?

Bout ready to do mine . Bought some from Advance (forget the brand) , but Iwill inform of how it does . most members here recommend the 3 m like you used ? . My truck didnt come with a headliner , so I had to cut the hole for the dome light > pain in the behind !. Got my trim pc's from the bone yard & painted them .
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
cableguy0

The 3m stuff is the good stuff as far as what you can buy off the shelf. Maybe go to an interior shop and ask them what they are using.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

It depends what type of headliner you are doing. foam backed to a fiberglass/fiberboard shell? Vinyl/leather to sheetmetal? The heavier materials are best left to a pro because the best result is going to be done with a professional pneumatic glue pot and industrial strength glue. We used to use 3M brand before they changed the formula 7 years ago. It used to hold anything, leather, foam, vinyl, tweed, velvet, felt etc. However the EPA got involved and made them changed the formula and it held like $hiz after that. Alot of it comes down to prep as well. You can use the 3m aersol if its a foam backed cloth to a fiberboard headliner. But anything heavier and it will fall. This is from my own (4 years of auto upholstery, dont do it anymore) or my fathers 40+ years of experience.
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

what you need is a high-heat resistant(hhr) contact cement. none of the aerosol can glue will hold up
the 3m top & trim or the weldwood in the light blue can will both be good choices.
you'll also need a source of compressed air and a spray gun with at least a 1.8 tip, but a 2.0 tip would be a little better...

Last edited by Mordachai; 08-02-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

3M 77 is not recommended for headliners and honestly, I've never had any luck with 3M 77. The 3M 90 is pretty good but for headliners you really need the DAP or another industrial type adhesive.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
Blake_H

My dad used to do upohlstery and he used Keyston Bros. adhesive on his crew cab headliner. It held up well for about 20 years, but it is starting to fall. Since I can't get that glue anymore, I'm ordering this DAP product to do mine with. http://www.yourautotrim.com/noname37.html I'll post up the results when I get done.
Blake_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #8
Wrecker55

clean the metal off with a solvent, spray both the metal and fabric with glue.....let it get dry to the touch the start in the center and you can work out the wrinkles as you go.....good luck.......did mine with vinyl ast year and no problem........there is no way to re-glue to the original backer board....it will fall apart as the backer gets old and crumbles
Wrecker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
storked82

Thanks Blake
I will have to try that glue myself I did read a little on it andit sounds like
It would work .Now to take all the trim back down ect I should have bought the good stuff oh well live and learn LOL

Thanks
Jeff
storked82 is offline   Reply With Quote