The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
javadoc
Hey Watch this...

Javadoc's 64 Short Step Build

Well, I figured that I had better start a thread about this lil' red truck that I have sitting in the garage, since I'm hemorrhaging money now.

So we're starting out with my '64 short step that we actually bought so that I could run around while my wife was furnishing our house off of craigslist. I kid you not. Bought the truck for $1900 in the fall of 2007, and it looked like this after I put on some chrome smoothies:

It had some old bucket seats, which I traded for an old '60 bench seat, and had a custom cover made for it that matched:

Then the truck was unmolested for the past two years or so. Last summer we used the truck to haul dirt, gravel and sod to re-landscape the yard, and now the bed is all 'media blasted' by that abuse.

Most recently (these past few weeks), my dad came for a visit and we pulled the 283 and dropped in a 4-bolt, hydraulic roller 383 stroker:

I'm also in the process of making a bed floor out of 1x6 hickory:

The hickory is just going to be cleared with urethane, the knot holes filled with clear too, so you can see down into them.

There aren't huge plans for the lil red truck really. I have a 3/5 drop kit that I"m working on installing (with y'all's help). It also needs a proper exhaust system, and there's a bit of body work, small amount of rust work, and a paint job in order. I hope to go to paint this winter. Plus, chrome bumpers, and clean up the interior (fix the nasty 80s-era radio butcher job... somehow), and a custom cluster. Maybe a wood steering wheel if I can find something that goes with the bed wood.

First order of business is getting the old springs off. I cannot loosen the front lower ball joints, no matter what I've tried. Can I use a spring compressor to compress the front springs, then pull them out? I thought about that driving home tonight. Any input would be awesome.

I'll keep posting pics as the project commences. Comments are more than welcome!
javadoc is offline   Reply With Quote