The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
rfmaster

Steering box replacement (or rebuild)

Hey all

Well, this past Sunday morning took my '75 C20 for a leisurely cruise. Over certain portion of a drive discovered that I have a lot of steering play - more than I used to have. This truck never had tight steering and all front end shops that have looked at it told me that links, bushings, ball joints, tie rods are in good shape. This leaves steering box and rag joint as the two possible suspects. Power steering box is all original and have never been touched. Rag joint is easy to replace, but I doubt it is a cause since I have about 1/4 turn play in steering wheel play (engine off, in park) when turning steering shaft at the box.

Question are:

1) Rebuild original - DIY or professionally? If professionally which company would you chose that knows these old Saginaw boxes and does a good job at a reasonable price. If DIY complete kit (also where to locate model number for this power steering box)

2) Source a replacement from JY - possible from a newer truck (will it fit??) Which model years make a good hunting target? Fitment issues?

3) Purchase outright (expensive) - where and how much??

Lots of Q's - so please sound in.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Re: Steering box replacement (or rebuild)

I know nothing except if buying a new one. You have to check out red head steering in Wa state. They are the place to go up in this area. Iirc they quoted me one for about $250.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Thealien

Another plug for Red Head steering gear. Had mine in for about 3 years and it has been perfect!.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
nbpro
Account Suspended

i would say professionally that would all depend on your mechanical skills, tools, shop setup. i'd probably call around and get some written estimates if possible. this way you know what you're looking at somewhat as far as parts go. ive never really done one myself. I can remember back in my service writing days watching this being done. seems it wasn't a very easy task. word of mouth is a very good source. ask your buddies, family members as far as a reputable shop.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbpro View Post
ask your buddies, family members as far as a reputable shop.
and that is precisely what I am doing. I came across several online articles covering step by step rebuilding steering box. Since steering is a safety related item I am some what hesitant to tackle it on my own first time out.

Does any one have experience swapping newer 80/90's box into pre 76 C truck??

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
Buick455

I just rebuilt mine and I know no why they are $250. It cost about $40 or so for the rebuild kit an about 16 hours or more to do the rebuild. It is kind of like rebuilding a single cylinder engine. As this is basically a hydraulic piston and valve assembly cleanliness is very important. I do have a step by step instruction I made into a word document that I got off one of the sites which was invaluable. If your gear box is working and not leaking just adjust the backlash.
Buick455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

This won't go over well with the purists here, but I bought a rebuilt steering box from Autozone and had a local mechanic install it. He said it was a good box and had no trouble installing it. As I recall, the core value of the steering box is very high, so I only paid like $30 for the rebuilt box, but it looks like prices have gone up a lot since then. 7 years and about 30,000 miles and no trouble with that steering box so far.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote