The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
dman1982

brake/running lights? wtf?????

no bad bulbs...cant find any bad wires, i asked a few weeks ago about this issue but didnt get too many hits....i need to get this thing inspected soon and need to figure this out...i have brake and head lights and turn signals but no running lights...what is the problem? trying to get this fixed sometime 2marrow. thanks
dman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: brake/running lights? wtf?????

You don't say what kind of vehicle it is, what year it is. It would be nice to know what you have checked. The more info you give, the better response you'll get.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
fixit-p

What year, have you checked your fuses?

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
dman1982

oh ya...my bad...went all into the problem without saying what the problem is on...its a 84 k10, i put a new steering column in it about a year ago then deployed, they werent working then either just saying...before i put the column in everything was working...now its not lol
Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
dman1982

oh and all the fuses are good
Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
nbpro
Account Suspended

Is this the column that has the light switch/turn signals all in one? If so, I would start there.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
dman1982

no its got the light switch down below the dash, the cruise control and turn signal switch up there on the column
Old 09-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
nbpro
Account Suspended

steering column was the correct one for the vehicle, right? I'd make sure all connections going to the column are good, because it looks like you've done everything else. Fuses, bad wires. Make sure all grounds are good. But I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the new column installed. Back track yourself if you can. Make sure there are no loose connections. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
dman1982

does the ignition switch have anything to do with my running lights?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
dman1982

and the steering column came out of a blazer
Old 09-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #11
nbpro
Account Suspended

Day time running lights ?
Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

By chance do your dash lights work? If not check the fuse for them as well If it's blown it'll take out your running/parking lights as well EVEN IF your fuse for the running/parking lights is good.
Years ago when I replaced the stereo in my old 81 crew cab I forgot to seal up the end of the illumination wire for the OEM radio and left it hanging about once every couple of weeks my dash lights would go out, replace the fuse and drive on until it happened again. One night on the way home, NOT KNOWING my parking lights weren't working, a kind old officer gave me a written reminder about it. The next day I started chasing down my problem and that's when I found the wire had been tapping against the radio and shorting out my dash lights. Piece of heat shrink tubing and a $75.00 fix-it ticket later no more problem.
Hope this helps.
Dave
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade

Last edited by BLE 'BURBAN; 09-14-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: spelling
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #13
fixit-p

If the light switch is on the dash then the tail lights don't go through the column.

First check the taillight fuse for power if that checks out ok check the orange wire at the light switch for power if that checks out, check for power on the brown wire at the light switch with the lights turned on post back results.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
Old 09-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #14
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman1982 View Post
no bad bulbs...cant find any bad wires, i asked a few weeks ago about this issue but didnt get too many hits....i need to get this thing inspected soon and need to figure this out...i have brake and head lights and turn signals but no running lights...what is the problem? trying to get this fixed sometime 2marrow. thanks
brake and head lights and turn signals but no running lights...hes check all the fuse

Last edited by nbpro; 09-14-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

You need to start at the problem, then work backwards.

Get a test light or a DVM, and start at the drivers front marker light. Should be a brown wire. (the lt blue/dk blue wires will be from the turn signal switch) With the headlight switch on (either the first or second position) check for power on the brown wire.

If you have power there.......

Pull the washer reservoir off so that you can strip the split loom off the wire harness all the way to the firewall connector. Inspect the wiring for breaks. Check for power at the firewall connector two ways; 1] probe the connector for the brown wire where it enters the plug, and 2] unplug the connector and see if there is power on the firewall-side connection.

Check fuses for marker lights and instrument cluster lights.

Check for power at the headlight switch itself, at the brown wire coming off of it.

I just saw this:

Quote:
before i put the column in everything was working...now its not lol
They worked before you swapped the column, now they don't? Since the column doesn't have any bearing on the marker lights (but obviously does for the turn signals, and the wiring is intertwined), it's possible a wire between the light switch and the fuse box got cut or pinched. If you don't have markers front or rear, this would be my guess, as IIRC there are two different wires leaving the firewall plug for marker lights; one for the front, and one in a different section of the plug going to the rear markers.

Power is supplied to the headlight switch, then to the fuse block, then splits in two to the firewall connector (front and rear), then on to the front and rear lights.

One thing I have learned in chasing electrical gremlins is..... always start at the problem and work your way back to the source. Don't bounce around to things that may or may not be related. Truck won't start? Don't start at the alternator to see if it's charging the battery, start at the starter and work back to the thing that makes it function, etc.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 09-14-2010 at 10:58 AM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:

They worked before you swapped the column, now they don't? Since the column doesn't have any bearing on the marker lights (but obviously does for the turn signals, and the wiring is intertwined), it's possible a wire between the light switch and the fuse box got cut or pinched
why i said
pretty sure it has something to do with the new column installed. Back track yourself if you can. Make sure there are no loose connections.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #17
dman1982

turn signals work, just no running lights....that is where all the confusion is...chased wires already....ill take a test light to the wires you told me about and check it out...thanks alot...ill let you know if i find the problem
Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #18
fixit-p

I would start at the fuse check it with a test light or DVM then the orange wire it feeds the headlight switch for the tail/park and dash light circuits. I doubt you have a ground fault but you could test your ground by back probing the black wire (ground wire) on the headlight plug, with the lights turned on any reading below .5 volts indicate a good ground. Here are a couple of diagrams. The only way the steering column could be the cause is if you cut, pinched or disconnected something during the install as mentioned already by others.

I would normally agree to start at the problem but since the problem is at all 4 corners of the truck the culprit would have to be at or near the splice, I don't know how the wires are routed on these year trucks but the problem is most likely in the cab.

Quote:
Old 09-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #19
Yupiamlo

Hey my marker lights had been all messed up a few weeks ago and I couldnt figure it out either. I had narrowed the issue down to the brown wire that is a ground for the marker lights, and their is a connector that they all ground out to down by the base of the steering column, its a simple little prong, but I had done my motor swap a few months back and forgot to plug it back in.

Maybe thats your issue.

-Adam
Yupiamlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #20
nbpro
Account Suspended

could the wires in steering column be cut, pinched by a previously repair by original owner ? Would it cause that running light problem?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #21
dman1982

hey adam....do you know what color that prong is???? i think i know what your talking about....where does that thing plug into????
Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #22
dman1982

i found the brown wire, it is cut by the fuse box, is it suppose to have a plug and go somewhere? if so im looking at the scematic and kinda confused.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #23
fixit-p

Did you identify the wire (check for power with light switch on) where does it lead to? If it has power present with lights on then look for another brown wire. If it looks like it goes to the outside wiring check to see if it came off of the light switch. I've never seen where the ground for the park/tail lights came back into the cab.

Quote:

Last edited by fixit-p; 09-14-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: more details light switch added.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #24
dman1982

it looks like it went out the engine compartment but there isnt any loose brown wires out there, thats why im assuming and looking at the scematic that i would say it goes into the fuse box, it looks clean cut, but i dont see where it exactly goes on the schematic
Old 09-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #25
fixit-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman1982 View Post
it looks like it went out the engine compartment but there isnt any loose brown wires out there, thats why im assuming and looking at the scematic that i would say it goes into the fuse box, it looks clean cut, but i dont see where it exactly goes on the schematic
Check the light switch it may have broken off there

Quote: