The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
MONTEZ

Newb question about front air....

I have ART Strong arms and am looking into the proterbuilt front member. I really dont want to take out my inner fenders and was curious if it would be possible to run a stock spindle on the drop member. If so would I be able to run 20's without having to take out my inner fenders?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Newb question about front air....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTEZ View Post
I have ART Strong arms and am looking into the proterbuilt front member. I really dont want to take out my inner fenders and was curious if it would be possible to run a stock spindle on the drop member. If so would I be able to run 20's without having to take out my inner fenders?
Yes, it's possible to run a stock spindle w/the Dropmember. Being able to run 20's depends entirely on how tall of a tire combo your looking for & the year of the truck (different years = diff style inner wheel wells = diff amount of clearance).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
MONTEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Yes, it's possible to run a stock spindle w/the Dropmember. Being able to run 20's depends entirely on how tall of a tire combo your looking for & the year of the truck (different years = diff style inner wheel wells = diff amount of clearance).
I was just thinking that running a stock spindle will negate the 3 inches that the suspension will be moved up. Which would allow me to not have to take the inner fender out on like a 27ish tall tire.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
I was just thinking that running a stock spindle will negate the 3 inches that the suspension will be moved up. Which would allow me to not have to take the inner fender out on like a 27ish tall tire.
Correct.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Correct.
If that's correct, why run a drop member at all? I can think of 2 nice reasons (moving the the wheel more center in the well + rack & pinion), but I don't see those 2 as being worth the effort & $$$. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just wondering if there's any other things I'm missing and should be considering for my own ride...
Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
MONTEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
If that's correct, why run a drop member at all? I can think of 2 nice reasons (moving the the wheel more center in the well + rack & pinion), but I don't see those 2 as being worth the effort & $$$. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just wondering if there's any other things I'm missing and should be considering for my own ride...
Those 2 reasons and looks are the only reason I want one. If they offered one at stock height I'd already have it, the problem is that they are all for laying frame, which is not what I am trying to do...
Old 09-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
Most run a DM to get it on the ground.

I like the DM because you have the option of using it w/spindles to get the frame on the ground or w/o spindles (mild to moderate drop) & getting extra ground clearance for the same drop. When you drive it daily @ a moderate drop (5/7) using just spindles & springs, you'll tear up your lower a-arms w/the many road imperfections in existence from coast to coast. Substitute the DM for the spindles & you achieve the same drop w/some extra ground clearance. Less damage in the long run....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG