The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Russell Ashley

I need some parts

I posted this over in the WTB section but I'm not sure how much that gets read so I'll mention it here. I need a brake pedal and eight of the pins that hold shock absorbers on a 57 3100. You wouldn't normally need these but some PO modified mine and I want to put it back like it should be.
I haven't seen these parts in any of the truck catalogs or on EBay.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: I need some parts

they have them here
http://www.classicparts.com/1957-59-...tinfo/74-623A/

The brake pedal you have to find used. Do you need the arm or just the pedal?

Last edited by dwcsr; 09-27-2010 at 05:37 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
they have them here
http://www.classicparts.com/1957-59-...tinfo/74-623A/

The brake pedal you have to find used. Do you need the arm or just the pedal?
They have something they call a shock mounting kit but it didn't look like what I've seen in pictures here on the forum. My truck has the pins but the threaded end that holds the shocks on is missing on all of them.

I need the pedal, just the rod that goes down through the floor with the part on top that holds the rubber pad. My truck has had an automatic tranny in it at some time in it's life and they removed the top part and welded on a wide pedal top from a Chrysler.

My truck had the rare "quick change shocks". Just cut the strap and pull the shock off, LOL.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Maybe its just me but I'd prolly bolt my shocks in rather than use a ziptie... just me though.

j/k!!
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
My truck has the pins but the threaded end that holds the shocks on is missing on all of them.
This might not answer your question, but the pin in your pic came with the shock as part of an assembly. It never had any threads on the shock end. Are you wanting to use shocks that have only a bushing in the eye and no pin?

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Russell Ashley

Just so everyone knows, I would never zip-tie my shocks on. That's the way it was when I got the truck. I only posted the pic to illustrate why I am looking for the correct shock mounts (and maybe give you guys a laugh like I got when I saw them). I've seen pics in some of the other threads that seem to show a pin similar to what I have that has a nut and formed washer on the end, and that's what I assumed was correct for these trucks. My wording wasn't exactly clear, I didn't mean to imply that I thought something was missing from the pins that are on the truck now.
This truck was "restored" in the late nineties and the zip-tied shocks and modified brake pedal are just a couple of the things that I'm working on correcting. It would help if I had an original 57 to look at but the pics and advice from this forum is the next best thing.

"Are you wanting to use shocks that have only a bushing in the eye and no pin?"

Ray, isn't that correct for a 57 3100? Isn't the pin a bolt-on part that stays with the truck? The shocks I see advertised for the truck don't have the pins. Should they have?

Last edited by Russell Ashley; 09-28-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: clarification.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Ray, isn't that correct for a 57 3100? Isn't the pin a bolt-on part that stays with the truck? The shocks I see advertised for the truck don't have the pins. Should they have?
On my 55 2nd series, which I would expect to be similar to your 57, the shocks did come off of the pin. Taking a guess, I think your truck's PO may have installed shocks that were intended for a different application. They could have been what he had lying around, or maybe what the parts store gave him.

If your shocks need replacement now and you can't find the stock pins, you might want to consider using a length of allthread with a couple of nuts, washers, and a piece of steel tube to keep the threads from cutting into the rubber. A distant second choice would be trying to get pins off of a salvage yard truck, but I'll bet they are going to be rusted on there pretty good.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 09-28-2010 at 04:33 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The ones I posted are the correct replacement parts, As said above the "pins" used to come on the shock. Now the replacements are domed head and fit the ID of the shocks.
You don't use these on the lower front they are different ahd have a thread on both ends. this one will work on top and bottom for the front.
http://www.americanclassic.com/Googl...K-107-1957.htm
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
The ones I posted are the correct replacement parts, As said above the "pins" used to come on the shock. Now the replacements are domed head and fit the ID of the shocks.
You don't use these on the lower front they are different ahd have a thread on both ends. this one will work on top and bottom for the front.
http://www.americanclassic.com/Googl...K-107-1957.htm
That looks like what I need but I need eight of them and would rather not spend $72 plus shipping for them. It will be a while before the truck is back on the road, maybe something will turn up by then.

I'm still needing the brake pedal. Anyone?
Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
twcarman

Is the 56 and 57 the same? I have a complet truck that I am hoping to start taking aa part soon. I am going to change to a firewall mounted bracke so I think I will have to change the pedal.

Let me know what all you are needing and I will see if I can help.
twcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Russell, I've bought shocks in the past for different projects and sometimes the "pins" or "mounting studs" came with them. I'm sure if you stop by your local NAPA store they should have what you need. And they should NOT cost $72 for eight!

I wouldn't use all-thread, it's not made to support something like a shock. You could however use a grade-8 bolt with a long enought shank, so that no threads are in the eye tearing up the rubber. I did this on the upper mounts for my rear shocks. They might be visible in my thread.

Good luck!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Have a look at these.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shock-...tuds,5485.html
Old 09-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
mr48chev

You should be able to buy studs similar to what Chuckdriver and dwcsr showed at any local auto parts house and may be able to get them at a shop that specializes in shock installation. They come in a lot of boxes of shocks and usually get stashed away when the mechanic doesn't need them.
The one in your photo was probably party of a previous shock that didn't changed when the replacement shock was put on.
Autozone even has them http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search but theirs have the bushings that you don't need.

So do O'Reilly's
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ord=shock+bolt
The one napa shows is a bit more expensive.
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...100_0066348795

Last edited by mr48chev; 09-30-2010 at 03:52 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by twcarman View Post
Is the 56 and 57 the same? I have a complet truck that I am hoping to start taking aa part soon. I am going to change to a firewall mounted bracke so I think I will have to change the pedal.

Let me know what all you are needing and I will see if I can help.
Thanks. I would think that a 56 and 57 brake pedal would be the same. I need the rod that goes down through the floor and has the pedal on top. The bottom is tapered and splined so it can't turn. It goes through the top end of the arm that operates the master cylinder and is held in with a nut on the tip. It has the part on top that the rubber brake pad slips over.
This is not a part that would normally need replacing but some PO has modified mine and I want to put it back correct.

ChuckD. Thanks for the link to Speedway Motors. They give the dimensions for the ones shown. I'll compare to what I need tomorrow and If they will work I'll get a set of them.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #15
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Russell, Stop by and see if Mike Chesser has a brake pedal, he does a lot of clips and might have one laying around.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Russell, I have a brake pedal and arm. Let me take a picture of my shocks today and I will send them to you tonight. I think you can use the pins.

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
57picupnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #17
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

These are how my shocks are attached. I am removing all of them and relocating. Also, a pic of clutch and brake pedal. Email me for details of other info.
Attached Images

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
57picupnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #18
Russell Ashley

Dru, I would have replied sooner but I have been away with no computer access.
The brake pedal in your pics is what I need. I haven't had any luck finding one yet. Also, the shock pins look like what I need. If you are not going to use those and wish to get rid of them let me know.
Russ