The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Wincks2

Should we get an old Blazer?

Winter is coming and we live in Manitoba, Canada with flat land, snow and cold temperatures.

Putting away our summer daily driver (see below) and looking for a winter daily driver that we could also drive in the summer.

Blazier/Jimmy seems like a good idea because of the hardtop for winter and the top off for summer and it is big and strong enough to keep my wife and kids safe on the icy roads.

Wont be doing any off roading, so I guess 2wd is the way to go. Assume less to go wrong with 2wd too.

Probably automatic as my wife hasn't driven a standard and I haven't in years.

Vast majority of miles will be city driving,

Threads on this board seem to suggest gas mileage for most blazers will be 9 to 14 mpg.

Thinking of something old because I've been testing a theory that older vehicles have fewer parts and few or no computers to malfunction and are physically easier to work on, thereby allowing them to be kept inexpensively and consistently on the road. Theory seems to be working out with our summer daily driver which I now have a mechanic maintain and a little less so with Old Smokey because I've been trying to maintain her myself (she has been inexpensive to maintain, I'm simply inexperienced so she's been off the road more than she should have been).

Questions:

A. What do you think? Does my reasoning seem correct? Would an old Blazer or Jimmy do the job?

B. Are my expectations consistent with your experience owning and driving these old Blazers?

C. Been watching ebay, kijiji, craigslist off and on for a few weeks and the prices for ones that appear largely rust free seem to be from about $6,000 to way too much for the budget. With some rust some seem available for around $4,000. I really don't want any rust. Any chance of finding a dependable one rust free in the $4,000 price range?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Our other winter vehicle will be Old Smokey (described in signature) if I can get the electrical redone so she starts well in the cold. We had a 95 Chevy with a 6.5 diesel and it started fine every time all through the winter, but Smokey doesn't seem to like the cold. Hopefully doing the electrical will let her start through the winter. Old Smokey:

Our summer daily driver is a 1960 Frontenac:

Bought it for the nine maple leafs on the badging and because it doesn't have computers to complicate the maintenance process. Putting it away for the winter.
Old Smokey: 85 GMC 3/4 ton long bed crew cab originally a 5.7 gas engine now with an 84 6.2 with a 92 serpentine belt system, a banks sidewinder, torque converter, and a shift kit. I bought her this way from someone handy - and now am trying to figure out how all this truck works.

The Old Smokey project: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=390518
Wincks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
swyfor5

Re: Should we get an old Blazer?

One word-YES! But make it a 4x4!
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Absolutely YES to a Blazer but as stated above get a 4wd. They are usually cheaper then a 2wd and you will be safer in the ice and snow with it.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
vtblazer

If I were looking for cheap & simple winter transportation, I'd look into early 80's blazers.

WAY more plentifle to find, thus will be way cheaper to purchase & repair.

'87 was the first year of fuel injection on those, up to then you can still find carb'd versions if you really want to stay away from computers.

Warmer, smoother ride too.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Wincks2

Yes, looked at a local 85 blazer last night, but I'm salivating over owning a single vehicle to drive in the winter and cruise topless in the summer.
Old Smokey: 85 GMC 3/4 ton long bed crew cab originally a 5.7 gas engine now with an 84 6.2 with a 92 serpentine belt system, a banks sidewinder, torque converter, and a shift kit. I bought her this way from someone handy - and now am trying to figure out how all this truck works.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wincks2 View Post
Yes, looked at a local 85 blazer last night, but I'm salivating over owning a single vehicle to drive in the winter and cruise topless in the summer.

Understandable, good luck with your search.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
fun in dirt

Yes a Blazer is a good choice, but definetly get a 4x4...they're easier to find than a 2WD anyway.
Mid 80's is the way to go. Even though I enjoy my 1st generation Blazer with the full top off for summer, reality is it sucks in cold or rain. The top leaks like crap (water, wind, & exhaust) & a PITA to take on & off. But the '72 is just a play toy. I had an '85 before for a daily driver & loved it.
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
Wincks2

Thanks.

Where I am everything is cold in the winter.

Leaky roofs I had not thought of. I figured there would be vinyl seats and interiors for when the top is off or the soft top is used.

Do these old blazers have some kind of interior drain hole or gutter system to let the rain out?

Hey, maybe I do want one with rust holes in the floors to let the rain out.

Or maybe, take the carpet and underpad out for summer and put it back in for winter. In the summer wait for rain, identify the pooling areas, drill a few drain holes, paint each pooling area and drilled hole with an anti-rust substance then don't worry about the rain.

Last edited by Wincks2; 10-06-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Wincks2

1. Anyone care to speak to the leaky roof issue? Of course, it is understood that your particular Blazer/Jimmy does not leak, but I'm wondering whether those other Blazers/Jimmys of which you are aware seem to have leak issues.

2. Regarding reliability and heat: Anyone here use their Blazer/Jimmy as a daily driver during the winter?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
fun in dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wincks2 View Post
1. Anyone care to speak to the leaky roof issue? Of course, it is understood that your particular Blazer/Jimmy does not leak, but I'm wondering whether those other Blazers/Jimmys of which you are aware seem to have leak issues.

2. Regarding reliability and heat: Anyone here use their Blazer/Jimmy as a daily driver during the winter?
1. My '72 mainly leaks around the door glass towards the windshield. Just not a good design & the glass does not not seal well against the top; since there is no frame around the door glass. Also the winshield has a drain channel (like a gutter) across the top of it for the roof. When driving all the water seems to blow in onto your left knee & thigh. That's why i said go with the style that is only a half top instead of full convertible.
2. My '72 & previous '85 dd both have excellent heaters. Reliability all depends on the mechanical condition you start out with.
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
Gibber1967

I live in BC, and I am with out Blazer right now, but I used to have a '72 Jimmy. I found it fine here in the winter with the snow. The heater was good, but we don't see -40 like you guys do. The leakage thing was not an issue for me in the winter, I noticed it more in the spring when we got heavy rain.

Icy roads are another issue....short wheel base, wider tires. I actually rolled my '72 on a casual drive for lunch with some co-workers and I was in 4X4. No roll-bar at the time, and I can tell you the roof did not provide any protection in a slow roll over. My next Blazer will have skinny tires with studs for winter driving, or I will only drive it in the winter when the roads are cleared.
Gibber1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
69-72

Hi from Winnipeg, I have a 72 Blazer I drive year round, pained me to but I just the top back on last weekend. The great thing about these trucks up here is the cheap insurance. Only problem I have is in the winter is they do get a little iffy on the highway. Maybe its the short wheelbase or maybe I have bad tires or am just a wimp, but it would have to be a pretty nice snow free day in the winter before I would drive on a highway at any speed.

4x4 is a must just for the fact that you would be kicked off of here or shunned for driving a 1st gen Blazer through our winters, (they are a bit rare)

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery

Last edited by 69-72; 10-28-2010 at 05:06 PM.
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 AM   #13
Wincks2

That's a good looking Blazer 69-72. Winnipeg must not be as small as they say as I've not seen it and would have noticed if I had.

By on the highway in the winter, do you mean the perimeter and beyond or would you say it is also a bit of a gamble on Henderson, McPhillips, Pembina, Lagimodier, Bishop Grandin and others in the 60 - 80 k/hr range?

Last edited by Wincks2; 10-29-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #14
69-72

It gets out a bit, sometimes on Sundays in the summer and to go here and there whenever else, it is kinda hard to miss being bright orange :p

I would say you would be good at those speed in fair conditions, I just wouldn't head down to Grand Forks or anything with it.

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:37 AM   #15
Wincks2

Do these tow with the 350 engine?

I'm wondering whether during the summer a blazer would tow our 19 foot long fiberglass trailer. Gross Vehicle Weight is 4,000 lbs. Has tandem axles with all four wheels near the middle of the trailer.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 AM   #16
Wincks2

Oops.

According to this thread: Is a blazer for me? We shouldn't.

So, I guess the most recent question above is answered.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:41 AM   #17
Erik V

My dad DD my Jimmy from 71-89, and I DD it from 95-97. Its had a pretty even mix between soft top and hard top. Soft top leaks around the windows, and the new Bestop leaks really well (poor?) along the bedrails. I found the low spot and put a pop can there with the top cut out of it. Overnight the popcan will fit with just rain drips seaping in. The carpet would be wet from about mid October until March-so really just once a year. Hard top didnt leak much at all, maybe just around the windows a bit, but its still all original seals/rubber. Water inside isnt the problem, its heater on with water inside, and ALL the windows fogging up. NO way to get enough heat in there to evaporate the moisture to the point where the back windows defrost, and to my knowledge rear defogger hadnt been invented yet.

If you want full top off as a must, go with a 73-mid75, you get full convertible, but with body panels that interchange up through 91 more or less. More engine bay space. Everything else is more or less the same, but adapt or get rid of any NP203 T-cases, full time 4X4 sucks.

Even the half top Blazers arent so bad, I had a 76 for a while, but never took the top off, just too lazy and the interior was mint for how old it was. I didnt want to mess it up.

As for computerized cars, you just gotta find your niche. I've been messing with 2 kinds of car in particular since 98 on one, and 04 on the other. Found ways around emissions testing, and learned a lot in the process. I'm actually kinda scared about going back to the dark ages of carb's with my Jimmy.

Erik
Erik V is offline   Reply With Quote