The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
grmchne78

Manual Sterring Column Question

I am new here... Love the site and the awesome trucks that are on here. Great motivation!

Anyway I tried to search this out and could not find clarification. I know the steering column can be collapsed to provide more interior room (belly room)!!! My question is can this be done and still retain the three on the tree?

I am still undecided as to whether to keep the 3 speed; look for a 4 speed or go TH350. For now I would like to shorten the column and retain the column shift. Any help is appreciated...
grmchne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
69 longhorn

Re: Manual Sterring Column Question

I have slide the auto columns down a couple inches for "belly clearance", but havent tryed the old 3 on the tree.I suppose that you could do it, but just bear in mind that it will change the "angle of dangle" on the shift rods, as well as the lenght. You may be able to compensate for the angle , by using rodends in the top? If you want it it can be done....just depends on how much fab you are into? crazyAL
Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
grmchne78

How many of you have converted the three on the tree to floor shift? I have worked in the auto parts business for 26 years and have heard horror stories about the universal floor shifters. Like anything else, it is subject to quality level of the install. A poor effort likely breeds poor results. I would like to hear of your personal experience with this... anyone??

THANKS!!!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
69 longhorn

Over the yrs, I have converted a bunch of cars/trucks to a floor shift, & think it is the best route to go. However, you need to get a good shifter(Hurst is my preference).
Old 11-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
grmchne78

Hurst makes the universal Indy shifter kit for conversion which is $150.00 then they offer the Mastershift version that is application specific which is $175.00 for the shifter and the linkage to go with it is an additional $155.00. I feel sure the Mastershift is very nice, but is it $180. better than the Indy version?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmchne78 View Post
I feel sure the Mastershift is very nice, but is it $180. better than the Indy version?
Not really. IMO, the mastershift bare shifter is not significantly better than the Indy bare shifter. However, the application-specific bracket and linkage make for a much better installation than the Indy's universal parts. With the Mastershift, you end up with a finished installation that feels much more rigid, secure, and "connected" than the Indy does.

Ray