The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Mikedub82

power steering

I was wondering about power steering. I work for oreillys auto parts and parts are pretty cheap. Could I use the power steering parts from a 77 c10 on my 66c10. Parts like the pump, gear box, pressure hose, pitman and idler arms etc..... I know I would need some brackets for the frame where the box will go. All the info would be great. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: power steering

yes you will need an adapter plate to attach to your frame. I used one from REZ manufacturing when no one else was making them, now just about everyone makes them. CPP makes a good product and Jeff will be happy to help you.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Captainfab is a site vendor and also manufactures a bracket for this application:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=332923
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thank you Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Captainfab is a site vendor and also manufactures a bracket for this application:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=332923
Mikedub82, there are links to my products below in my sig. Just click on the HERE
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 11-29-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Mikedub82

Will the power steering gear box just bolt up to the frame with the plate? Do I have to cut the steering shaft for the new box just looking for all the info. i need to make it work.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
slepysal

You will need an adaptor plate for the gear to mount amd work right. Save your self some major head aches and get the bracket form Captianfab this will let you bolt up your gear box to your frame . Yes you will need to cut the shaft but thats easy. In fact the whole swap is an easy project round up your parts and you can do it in one afternoon

"Over, Around or through it... "

Last edited by slepysal; 11-30-2010 at 03:57 PM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
63lemon

Cool Re: power steering

[QUOTE=slepysal;4322851]You will need an adaptor plate for the gear to mount amd work right. Save your self some major head aches and get the bracket form Captianfab this will let you bolt up your gear box to your frame . Yes you will need to cut the shaft but thats easy. In fact the whole swap is an easy project round up your parts and you can do it in one afternoon[/QUO
Does anyone have a step by step to add power steering to a C10, i have a 63 swb stepside that i want to make into a daily driver and id like to see some picks and parts to see how it all works and some info, i plan on using captainfab plate, i want to order brake booster adapter and power steering plate but i would like to see the process and know a little before i go in and git ur done
Old 12-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
63lemon

Does anyone have a step by step to add power steering to a C10, i have a 63 swb stepside that i want to make into a daily driver and id like to see some picks and parts to see how it all works and some info, i plan on using captainfab plate, i want to order brake booster adapter and power steering plate but i would like to see the process and know a little before i go in and git ur done

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
You will need an adaptor plate for the gear to mount amd work right. Save your self some major head aches and get the bracket form Captianfab this will let you bolt up your gear box to your frame . Yes you will need to cut the shaft but thats easy. In fact the whole swap is an easy project round up your parts and you can do it in one afternoon
Old 12-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
slepysal

Here you go try this
http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/05...all/index.html

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Buy From John ( captin fab) period great guy , and HONEST!!!!

63 Lemon.. there is a ton of stuff on this swap.. Find a 75-84 checy truck with all the parts there and swap them or use the cross member. I did not swap the center section as I had my engine in the truck. The swap is straight forward really. You will need to drill some holes for the new idler arm, and that is about it for mods.

I will add that pic as well . But straight forward if you are using all of the parts off the stocker donor truck grap every nut bolt shim etc. Brake lines so you ahve something to at least compare when you are doing the swap. I should have grapped the steel lines off the 84 i was pulling parts on. Rotors you want the 1 1/2 inch thick rotors. Not my idler arm pic but it is correct. I drilled mine and bolted it up , worked great. I did make some spacers to for inside the frame to stop the frame from crushing. I used 2 3/8 by 3.5 bolts to attach the idler arm.
Attached Images

Last edited by GMR-PERFORMANCE; 12-06-2010 at 12:38 PM.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
63lemon

Talking Re: power steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE View Post

63 Lemon.. there is a ton of stuff on this swap.. Find a 75-84 checy truck with all the parts there and swap them or use the cross member. I did not swap the center section as I had my engine in the truck. The swap is straight forward really. You will need to drill some holes for the new idler arm, and that is about it for mods.

I will add that pic as well . But straight forward if you are using all of the parts off the stocker donor truck grap every nut bolt shim etc. Brake lines so you ahve something to at least compare when you are doing the swap. I should have grapped the steel lines off the 84 i was pulling parts on. Rotors you want the 1 1/2 inch thick rotors. Not my idler arm pic but it is correct. I drilled mine and bolted it up , worked great. I did make some spacers to for inside the frame to stop the frame from crushing. I used 2 3/8 by 3.5 bolts to attach the idler arm.

wow thanks for the pics and advice, i dont plan to add disc brakes yet, right now im gonna go too a pic apart place and ge the power steering components and a brake booster, i already got summer fever and i just want to get her back on the road, how long did it take to put the power steering on, and i want to leave my motor on mounts as well ????
Old 12-07-2010, 01:56 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thanks for the recommend Sal and Steve....'preciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE View Post

63lemon. Power steering was available on GM trucks starting in 1969. In 1980-81 the hose fittings changed. So when you go looking for a steering box and pump, try and get both from the same year range. It jusy makes getting hoses easier. And 1987 will be the last year that will have the steering box you can use.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
Real_McCoy

FWIW - I put the CaptainFab PS Adapter Plate on yesterday in a couple of hours, but probably could have done it quicker without the kids interrupting me every few minutes. The mod was extremely easy.
Real_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I snapped a few photos last night with my palm phone. Here are some more so you can see the set up. Many times a picture is a huge time saver. I would also tell you to find a pick a part yard and that way you can take pics as you take it apart and you will have the small little items that you can take off from the donor truck.

Like I said the front metal brake line, stock brake lines, grab the PS hoses ( new style pumps have a o ring on the fitting that is all you really need to know about the box) Snag everything from the steering column shaft to the box, lines, all the shims even mark them as it will get you some what close on your new set up. You will need to have the half moon spacers from the donor truck off the upper arms. I may have to cut off my stock shock mounts as with it lowered the angle looks to me a bit much. You can re use the old bracket if you are careful or buy the one size fits all version from CCP, or some one else.
Attached Images

GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote