The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
shermro99

Cool Stereo System and Speakers

What is the best fit and system for my 1970 Chevy P/U C10? What size would the door panels take?

Thank you!
shermro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Stereo System and Speakers

If you do a search, you'll find a ton (literally) of threads about this topic. The first option is whether or not to cut the dash. If yours had been cut in the past, to install a DIN-sized receiver, then the question is moot. If it hasn't, then the question is what kind of radio you want. If you don't want to cut, then your choices of 2-shaft radios is limited as far as the aftermarket is concerned. Oh, there are some nice ones, but if you're a techie-sort, you may not be happy with the old school look. If you're wanting to install one with a DVD player and an LCD display, then cutting it is your only option. There's a member named Mahanian, who has a billet aluminum part that dresses up a cut dash and allows for the clean install of a single-DIN receiver.

As far as speakers are concerned, you have options. One of them is a part that attaches to the kick panel and houses the speakers. Look at www.lmctruck.com for their catalog. That will show you what is available, not only from them but from vendors on-site. The other option is making a hole in the lower part of your doors, like mine has had in it for years. No, I didn't do it, but it's what I have. The problem with that is rain. You need to make the speakers water-proof, or they won't live. I think that there are housings that are available to fit the backside of the speakers. I don't have a link, but I need to look.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
shermro99

Red face Re: Stereo System and Speakers

It had a stereo before but it was removed...the speakers on the side panels of the door were also removed. The holes have been cut out and ready to go... If I decide to get a current car stereo system with a CD player how would the wiring look like?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions. Just want to make sure that I am doing this right.

Thank you!
shermro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
81ShrtBox
MadMan

I cut my doors and installed (2)6x9's in each door using 1" depth extenders. I cut the doors to allow the magnet to have room away from the window track. But the spacers allow room for the window track. I added a PowerBass 4ch800watt amp and it sounds NICE. This is just to get me by until I finish the interior and glass the bottom of the doors where the speakers are. I want to try and mount a 10" sub in the dash where the 4x10 was...

Last edited by 81ShrtBox; 12-02-2010 at 08:01 PM.
81ShrtBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
81ShrtBox
MadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermro99 View Post
It had a stereo before but it was removed...the speakers on the side panels of the door were also removed. The holes have been cut out and ready to go... If I decide to get a current car stereo system with a CD player how would the wiring look like?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions. Just want to make sure that I am doing this right.

Thank you!
get a test light... all you need is a ground, 12v constant and a 12v ignition source. I cant remember the colors but you shouldnt have many wires. The others will be illumination and speaker wires.

somebody may be able to help with the wire colors or you can google for a wiring schematic

Last edited by 81ShrtBox; 12-02-2010 at 08:06 PM.
81ShrtBox is offline   Reply With Quote