The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
DrtyJack75

Steering Wheel / Steering Column ??

So I pulled my steering column out and sold it.

I then ordered a Summit GM Chrome Steering Column (SUM770700) which fits a 3/4" 36 spline steering wheel.

Now, Im interested in buying the Chromed Billet Steering Wheel (38-1190 p. 95) from LMC BUT because LMC customer service only knows what you can read in the catalog, they cant tell me if that wheel will fit my column.

It does say it'll fit a 74-94 GM Truck, so....

- So does anyone know if the 74-94 fit a 3/4" 36 spline wheel?

- Does anyone know the size on a 67-72?

Is that question clear? Clear as mud??

Thanks!!
DrtyJack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Steering Wheel / Steering Column ??

If it will fit 74-94 itwill fit 67-72. I have had three colomns in my truck over the past couple of weeks. First was the stocker that came with it in 68 next was a motor home tilt that looked very simsilar to the factory truck tilt but I took it out because of the turn signal switch. The last one in there now is a van tilt and I have had wheels ranging from the stock wheel to a mid 70-s car wheel to a silverado 4 spoke wheel[very popular on these old trucks] All fit with no problems. Hope that helps. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

I would be interested to know the quality of the steering column... I'm looking to replace mine soon....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
DrtyJack75

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
If it will fit 74-94 itwill fit 67-72. I have had three colomns in my truck over the past couple of weeks. First was the stocker that came with it in 68 next was a motor home tilt that looked very simsilar to the factory truck tilt but I took it out because of the turn signal switch. The last one in there now is a van tilt and I have had wheels ranging from the stock wheel to a mid 70-s car wheel to a silverado 4 spoke wheel[very popular on these old trucks] All fit with no problems. Hope that helps. Jim
not doubting you in anyway, but LMC magazine specifically says "The installation kit included with this steering wheel is for the 1974-1994"

then goes on to say "To install this wheel on your 1967-1972 truck you will need to install the Tilt Wheels Steering Column Above"

So Im not completely sure...I hate LMC and wish I could find a steering wheel from a board supporter but I really like this wheel. I keep looking around but keep coming back to it.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
DrtyJack75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
I would be interested to know the quality of the steering column... I'm looking to replace mine soon....
I really like it, in Chrome and for the price it's hard to beat...
Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Try LeCarra (Mark 9) steering wheels... nice quality... and the billet 1/2 ring is going to be really hot in the summer....

I would probably go for the black column, chrome doesnt fit with my interior... If it doesn't seem cheap I'll have to call Summit...

Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
67C10BUB

I noticed that this column doesn't have a neutral safety/backup light switch. What are you going to do for those?
Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10BUB View Post
I noticed that this column doesn't have a neutral safety/backup light switch. What are you going to do for those?
I picked up a used Hurt shifter and there's switch built into it.... I'll tap into that....

Old 12-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
glider_6969

Quote:
If I can ask,,,, what years of vans would have the tilt column that would fit a 68 GMC, currently have stock column with three speed on it??
glider_6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
hugger6933

The van tilt I have is out of a mid 70's van. The years are like 72-81. If it is a chev or gmc and does not have the key in the coloumn it is the one you want. There are several post about it and what should be done to make it work in your truck. Now in my case I needed a new intermediate shaft but you can find all that info in the FAQ section there is some really good stuff in there I think everyone should spend some time there. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
glider_6969

Quote:
The van tilt I have is out of a mid 70's van. The years are like 72-81. If it is a chev or gmc and does not have the key in the coloumn it is the one you want. There are several post about it and what should be done to make it work in your truck. Now in my case I needed a new intermediate shaft but you can find all that info in the FAQ section there is some really good stuff in there I think everyone should spend some time there. Jim
Thanks, sometimes there is so much info here you forget were you can look. I 'll check it out.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
glider_6969

Quote:
Thanks, sometimes there is so much infor here you forget where to look,

OOOOOOOOOppppps,,,,, sorry for the repeat post,,,, computer froze up on me,,,

Last edited by glider_6969; 12-19-2010 at 09:03 PM.