The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
zellway

Where or where not to buy sheet metal

I have seen some good and bad repop's of parts. I know if you can its best to get OEM but is there one brand that stands out from all the others? I have some parts that I bought from Brothers and is was a good fix. I don't recall where I got my rockers but they lined up ok but took alot to get the seams correct. Not that I have a problem with body work. I would like to know whats the best for the buck. I was looking at LMC and I see that they have free truck shiping if you get over $1000.00. Anyone have feed back on how there sheet metal is? I would like to get a cowl hood for my 68 and and hand full of patch stuff for the cab floor. Any help would be great.
1970 C10 step Project Jiminy http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=682647
RUST!? Thats just mother natures way of telling all of us.....MINE!!!!
zellway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Re: Where or where not to buy sheet metal

LMC, Goodmark, and so on all make nothing. They just sell the parts that are made in Taiwan by one or two companies.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

I started a thread similar to this a week or two ago and it seems to me that most of the repop sheetmetal you'll find is identical, probably made by the same company. What I've heard is that it's all cheap and thin, and made in China. Being in AZ, you should get whatever used OEM you can locally and clean it up. Alot more work, but you'll have thick ALL AMERICAN STEEL.
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
allengator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71sierragrande View Post
I started a thread similar to this a week or two ago and it seems to me that most of the repop sheetmetal you'll find is identical, probably made by the same company. What I've heard is that it's all cheap and thin, and made in China. Being in AZ, you should get whatever used OEM you can locally and clean it up. Alot more work, but you'll have thick ALL AMERICAN STEEL.

I'm not sure that it IS alot more work... given all the time it will take to make the repop stuff line up!

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Ha ha, thats true! Good point, I just meant the cleanup and prep of a used part.
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
zellway

That's kinda what I was thinking. I have looked at alot of good trucks to get what I need. I might just get a full cab from a local guy I know but that still leaves me with where to get the best hood. I don't know if i'm that good of a fab guy to make my own. I might just keep the stock hood if the ones they are making are junk. Thats why I asked. I know there are a ton of people that have been down this road. Thanks for all the input on this guys.
1970 C10 step Project Jiminy http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=682647
RUST!? Thats just mother natures way of telling all of us.....MINE!!!!
zellway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Maybe some sheet metal is lighter gauge,but it's not true for much of it.Some pieces don't fit so well and some fit as well as original.Bolting on fenders,doors,or hoods are one thing...even though it takes more than just bolting.But,replacing rockers,cab corners,and other repairs require skill no matter who made the part.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote