The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Topher-x-01

86 engine questions

hey all i am working on my recently acquired 86 2wd chevy, it came factory with a 305, th350, but was told it now has a rebuilt 350 with 700r4... (i just replaced the tranny myself) but the truck came from cali and has ALL sorts of crap i want to get off... IE smog pump, and all the tubes running into the exhaust manifolds... can i just call the local parts store and tell them i need a new serpentine belt for a 350 with no ac (has it but its not even connected) and without the smog so i can bypass both those, the smog pump and the ac compressor?

also... removing all that crap and those little tubes going into the exhaust manifolds is there anything else i should be doing? there is some stuff under there i have never seen, any help and or some photos to would be greatly appreciated.. i really need to get it running better!
also it has a 02 sensor... i wouldnt think that year of truck would have one? who knows if it works or not.. i need to find out exactly what this motor is but havnt had time to go crawling around the motor for engine numbers...
thanks you guys
Topher-x-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
allengator

Re: 86 engine questions

For the belt... just use a piece of thick twine to get a measurement of the length of belt you want... (dont forget to account for the tensioner...)
Then measure the twine, and buy the closest serp belt to that length...

(also... depending on what serp system it is... there are "smog delete" pulleys you can buy that really help the belt stay on track at the proper tension.)

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher-x-01 View Post
r?

also... removing all that crap and those little tubes going into the exhaust manifolds is there anything else i should be doing? there is some stuff under there i have never seen, any help and or some photos to would be greatly appreciated.. i really need to get it running better!
also it has a 02 sensor... i wouldnt think that year of truck would have one? who knows if it works or not.. i need to find out exactly what this motor is but havnt had time to go crawling around the motor for engine numbers...
thanks you guys
O2 sensor is a part of CCC control - removing it will result in poorly running engine. Your truck has ECM which controls carburetor and timing. The CCC system also has MAP and CTS sensors. KS with ESC module are used for knock detection. Unbolting or disconnecting any of it will result in poorly running engine. The best thing you can do is to leave this system alone.

The AIR (air injection) can be disabled, since it is used during start up to heat up CAT quickly to operating temperature by injecting air into exhaust manifolds. Unbolting injection tubes from cast iron manifold is problematic - the easiest thing to do is get a set of headers or non AIR manifolds.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
PRattenbury

Or, remove the carburetor, distributor, intake and exhaust manifolds and replace them Go to the boneyard and find an engine harness for a non-smog truck. That should get it.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote