The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
oldwagon

Over the windshield sunvisor

I have a used fiberglass visor that I want to install on my 83 dually. I'm not sure how to go about it.

I hope it's a relatively simple operation, but any tech help will be greatly appreciated.
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Re: Over the windshield sunvisor

Send it up my way. I'll install it and take pics then do a write up of how I did it for ya!!!

Is it a lighted one or a standard one?
They're usually held in place with stainless steel sheetmetal screws and plastic/rubber washers between the visor and cab and some screw head covers like you'd find with a licens plate frame.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade

Last edited by BLE 'BURBAN; 12-31-2010 at 02:57 AM.
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
tucsonjwt

Just a thought, when you stop at a traffic light in a vehicle with a sun visor your view of the traffic light is somewhat obstructed by the sun visor. This is not a problem if you are a few vehicles back in line, but if you are the first in line you will likely have to crane your neck down to see when the light turns green, unless the intersection has an extra traffic light on the side/corner of the intersection. For me, this is a nuisance, so I would not have a sun visor, but each to his or her own.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
benoit454
Chris

the answer to the light is not pull up as far, problem solved. We have redlights all over here and visors on everything, never a problem. Put the thing on the cab, use some duct tape to hold it on or a helper, see where it loosk right, meaning it's at the same spot on each side like the same distance between it and the window, or comes down the same on each side, once you get it were you want tape it down or have your help hold it, mark the holes, marker, pencil, drill whatever, then drill ya some pilot holes like 1/8 or so, find a bit a size or 2 smaller then the bolts you got with it, if you have them, that way it still has something to bit to and make it's own hole. I think they are like 1/4 bolts and about 1/2 long or so, I bought some from lowes for my 88 since I got a used visor with no bolts. I usually drill all the holes, then smear some rtv around them or other silicone, then put the visor in place and start a bolt or two, then get them all started and tighten them down. You don't need to crank them, just tighten them down enough to pull the visor down to the cab, don't crack the visor, just snug it down some and give it a 1/4 turn or so, I just watch for the gap between the visor and cab to close up. It usually just snugs up and is done. then if you got the caps pop them on or silicone if you wish, but they are made to pop on and hold on by themselves. Do all the sanding and painting on the visor before you put it on and give it plenty of time to dry up before handling it.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
oldwagon

Burb, it is a standard one. If u weren't so far north I would send it to u!

Looks like Chris pretty much spelled it out tho'.
Thanks, Chris.
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote