The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
amullis

Someone tell me that I have not screwed up please!!!

Well here it goes.

I am building a 68 swb 2wd and wanted to lower it. I ordered a 4.5/6 drop kit from ECE. The rear was no problem and it went in great. The problem that I just realized is that a about a year ago I purchased a newly rebuilt front cross member from a guy for my truck. The problem is that I ordered all the front springs and spindles for a 67-72 and my rebuilt and now installed front cross member is for a 73-87.

I was hoping that it would work and so I went ahead and took the 73-87 spindles off and tried to put the new ECE spindles on and either I am going to need to replace the newly replaced ball joints for some that will work or get some longer/taller castle nuts because the ones that I have screw past the ribs for the pin.

Also when I took the jack down from the lower A-Arm the front springs do not want to stay in place. Is this just the fact that I need a new rubber bumper for the top A-Arm or what?

Please tell me I am not going to have to start all over and that I have not wasted my money!!!
amullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Alvin
Never Done?

Re: Someone tell me that I have not screwed up please!!!

From what I understand you will need to change your ball joints to the 71-72 style to use the spindles you got.

As for the springs not staying in when you lower the a-arm, that sounds a little strange. Do you have any rubber bumper in the top arm?

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
amullis

Yes I do have the rubber bumper in the top but for some reason the springs wont stay in place. I was wondering if I needed to change the rubber bumper for a thicker one, if there is such a thing. I am putting the 2" lowering springs in the front but don't understand why they wont stay in place.

It wont be a problem once the truck is sitting on the ground but if for some reason the front end were to get lite then the springs may decide that they don't want to stay put!

Is the difference between the 67-72 ball joints and 73-87 ball joints that length of threads? It appears to me that they fit tight in the holes in the new spindles.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
gkesseru

Have you asked ECE if they'll swap you for a newer spindle?
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
amullis

No not yet. They most likely wont because I have already painted the ones that I bought from them also return shipping from North Carolina to California SUCKS!!!

Hopefully I will figure something out. I was hoping to be able to drive the truck to its first show in March. It wont be pretty but it will be fuuuuun!!!

My 8 year old is really excited about taking it to its first car show. He asked me the other day if he could go with me and I told him that there is no way that I would leave him at home. He said, "Cool Dad, do you think that when we get there I can stand beside while everyone is looking."
No matter what happens, that made this build worth it!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
OhOneWS6

You should call ECE. I doubt they will swap the spindles since you painted them but I guarantee you they will help you get the right parts to make those spindles work on your truck. They will also explain to you why the springs fit the way they do and help you figure out if there is a problem. ECE is a top notch outfit.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Upper balljoint is different.
Outer tie rod is different.
Lower balljoint is the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

That's if your spindles are 71-72.
What exact spindle did you order?
67-70?
71-72?
Posted via Mobile Device

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

when you jack the truck up the spring pops out of place? If that's what you're saying, it is normal.
I removed the bumpstop in the upper arm, and put a bolt in it's place. I jacked the truck up to the point where the spring started to rattle a tick, then lowered it down just till it was secure. Then I adjusted the bolt till the arms were preloaded.
A pic is worth a thousand words, and unfortunantly, i don't have any pics, and the burb isn't anywhere near here right now.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
amullis

Thanks Guys!!!

All this information is very helpful. I am going to call ECE today and let them tell me what they reccomend.

Lolife, I am not sure which spindles I have. I called ECE and told them that I had a 68 and that I wanted to lower it with their 4.5/6 kit and keep it 6 lug and they sent me the parts.

Can any one tell me, other than the fact that they are different, what the difference is between the ball joints?

Thanks again!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
id_unavailable

lowlife99
are not all the ball joints the same size on 67-72 1/2 tons? I thought I saw conversions done without them. The last time I used 73+ spindles (I had no choice because that was the only parts belltech made at that time) I changed the parts you listed.

Do not worry about the springs. I cut mine at one point and could take them out without a spring compressor by simply jacking the truck up.
id_unavailable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by id_unavailable View Post
lowlife99
are not all the ball joints the same size on 67-72 1/2 tons? I thought I saw conversions done without them. The last time I used 73+ spindles (I had no choice because that was the only parts belltech made at that time) I changed the parts you listed.

Do not worry about the springs. I cut mine at one point and could take them out without a spring compressor by simply jacking the truck up.
No.
The balljoint and tie rod tapers are different.
amullis,...I bet ECE sent your their conversion spindles. (67-70)
Companies make a 67-70 spindle, 71-72 spindle and a 73-87 spindle.
Tie rods and balljoints have to match.

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 01-12-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I would just reinstall your 68 front crossmember and keep everything the same year. Then the 63-70 spindles you bought will work. There is no advantage to the newer crosmember and then there is none of this trying to figure this or that out. What happens five years from now when you forget what you did? or sell the truck? That is why these kits are made, to make the job a little easier. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
fishingjred73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
I would just reinstall your 68 front crossmember and keep everything the same year. Then the 63-70 spindles you bought will work. There is no advantage to the newer crosmember and then there is none of this trying to figure this or that out. What happens five years from now when you forget what you did? or sell the truck? That is why these kits are made, to make the job a little easier. WES
Good advice right there. When I did my disc swap 18 plus years ago I used 71-2 truck and mid 70ish impala stuff. Did I write down exactly what I used, of course not. So this go round when I do the drop on it, it will all be using 68 year stuff so I don't have to try and remember what I did in 20 yrs.

'68 Stepside (ground up in progress)

My 68 build thread http://louisianaclassictruckclub.fre...side-t956.html

'81 SWB "Pap paw" (Driver)

The 81 build thread http://louisianaclassictruckclub.fre...-swb-t960.html

Member of
www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com

https://www.facebook.com/groups/296290610747732/
fishingjred73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
mr48chev

I'd have to agree with Wes. The reason people swap to the later crossmember is to get the disk brake setup and have an easier and less expensive avenue to getting wear parts but as you already have the conversion spindles and hubs and springs it would be simpler to use the early A frames and crossmember.

You could run down to the parts house you use and have them pull out a 68 upper ball joint and a 73/87 Ball joint and lay them side by side to see the difference. The uppers aren't all that expensive though and the tie rod ends aren't too expensive either if you want to swap those pieces and keep on keeping on.

Last edited by mr48chev; 01-12-2011 at 01:04 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote