The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
dave69

4L60E Trany

I have a 69 C10 with a 96 Vette LT4 engine and keeped the TH350 for now. Any thoughts on doing a swap from a the TH350 to 4L60E trany. I just got one giving to me, but I don't have any electronics or wiring and don't know the history of this trany. I was thinking of getting a 700R4 which I think is easier to convert. If you guys think the 4L60E is better to go with than please let me know what you think.
dave69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: 4L60E Trany

The 4l60E is generally considered to be a stronger tranny and will probably live better behind that engine.They make "Stand Alone" wiring harnesses for it but they tend to be pricey.Also,not knowing the condition it might be a good idea to have it checked out before installing.You might talk to a couple of tranny shops,maybe you can make a trade or at least get the info to help you make an informed decision.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
dave69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
The 4l60E is generally considered to be a stronger tranny and will probably live better behind that engine.They make "Stand Alone" wiring harnesses for it but they tend to be pricey.Also,not knowing the condition it might be a good idea to have it checked out before installing.You might talk to a couple of tranny shops,maybe you can make a trade or at least get the info to help you make an informed decision.
Yes if I use it I will have it gone through and I know the stand alone stuff is pricey I will do that talk to some trany guys on what is best thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
MARKDTN

Do you have an LT4 that is fuel injected or converted to carbureted? If it is fuel injected, you can just have the PCM changed to add the transmission controls. Someone like Street and Performance or Howell could help with reflashing and adding some wiring.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

I did the same thing. We used Street and Performance to reflash the PCM and used their tailhousing to keep the stock speedo. It works good. I moved the engine back with 6 cyl mounts and used the stock auto linkage. Also changed the gearing to 3.73 from the 3.07 ratio.
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
dave69

Thanks guys I had LT1 Swap do my ECU so I will call him. I am running EFI not a carb.