The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Steve Oreskovich

need 3 spd Transmission info

I am looking for a transmission for a '52 half ton,. It is a 3 spd column shift and the trans is 14" long. I am told conflicting info. Do you know, does the car trans work or is the imput shaft different? Does the pickup 3 spd take the same clutch disc and pressure plate or are they different? I can find 4 spds but will it take the new spd truck clutch and pressure plate I just bought or does it requirer another size.

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help. .

Last edited by truckdude239; 03-03-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: wrong title
Old 02-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: need 3 spd Transmission info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oreskovich View Post
I am looking for a transmission for a '52 half ton,. It is a 3 spd column shift and the trans is 14" long. I am told conflicting info. Do you know, does the car trans work or is the imput shaft different? Does the pickup 3 spd take the same clutch disc and pressure plate or are they different? I can find 4 spds but will it take the new spd truck clutch and pressure plate I just bought or does it requirer another size. Anybody close to Montana have a good trans for sale? Steve @ 406 728-1818
There are several differences between the car and truck. The car case is will not work in a truck. The mounting flanges are different. The Counter shaft in a car uses a bushing, the truck needle bearings, The shift covers are also different having seals in stead of o rings. The bell housings are different. Car clutches are usually smaller and the flywheel would have bolt holes in different spots.

What is the same is the 2nd-3rd syncro slider, first reverse gear, second gear, input shaft, reverse idler. But they may be different depending on year so you have to count teeth to be sure.

Around 54/55 they made the car cases the same as trucks with gearing being a little different and some cars had a short tail shaft and a rear mount and trucks having long tail shafts and no mount.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
IndyBowtie

Re: need 3 spd Transmission info

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by truckdude239; 03-03-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Closed Thread