The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2003, 04:18 AM   #1
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Help- Electrical problems with tail-lights

I hate 35 year old wiring!

I jumped into my truck last night to go the first local cruise of the year and my tail-lights weren't working. Brake lights, turn signals (mine have been converted into UK spec orange lights in the back-up lights) but no tail-lights.

I looked under the bed and this is this god awful crusty plastic terminal block where the p/o has spliced in trailer wiring, the contacts have rusted to hell, wires are corroded and breaking up and I assume the power to the tail light circuit is broken.

The worst wires are the ones actually from the lamp units, it looks like the power lines from the cab have been replaced at some time but these are original and the are rock hard and brittle and covered in paint overspray. Can these be replaced or does this mean new lamp units?

I can remake the connections properly and waterproof them with some self-amalgamating tape but I need decent wires to do this with. All suggestions welcome.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:55 AM   #2
TERRYP
GYRO GEARLOOSE

At the junk yard, you can usually find a complete set of wires from the dash back from a van or suburban. thise wires are primo cuz the've been indoors. Stay away from the aluminum ones. You can add your old ends, or get both sides of connector from junker, and splice junk connector to your wires. All gm cars are tail=brown, left=yellow, rt=dark green, BU=LT green. Thrailers use white for ground wire.
66 C-10 Panel, SWB. 350 from '68, 200R4 tranny, 3.07 rear ratio, restoring
68 C10 LWB 350 4spd, 4.56 rear dump runner
82 Camaro, 305, THM-200-R4
84 Monte Carlo 305 TH350, land tuna
85 Tercel SW, snow runner

DISGRACED OUTLAW MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
TERRYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:25 AM   #3
69 Short Fleet

Hey Phil, I think you have to replace the housings as the "pigtail and bulb socket are built into the housing (not 100% sure though as you may be able to buy just the socket and pig tail seperatley). If I understand you correctly is it the last section of the taillight harness the one you need? (the one that feeds all rear lighting assemblies and has a main rubber plug at the front or begining of it, approx. 6 feet long) If so I might have one I could send you for free (I'll have to check as I just moved and everthing is upsidedown right now, LOL) later, Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:12 AM   #4
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Well, I've spent an hour or so underneath and have got everything working again, splicing in some short lengths of new wire here and there and replacing the crusty terminal block with crimped on connectors and taped everything up afterwards to try and keep the damp out. This is really a temporary fix but will do for the moment.

When I removed the lamp housings the bulb holder is kinda double sided so at the rear there is what looks like another bulb holder, a connecting plug then fits into this from the rear loom. It is these wires that are very hard and brittle, I assume they are original. The main cable from the switch appears to have been replaced at some time. I believe these are available new from people like GMC Paul but by the time I have paid for shipping and tax into the UK it gets kinda pricey, I may have to bite the bullet and replace the whole loom one day soon, guess I should keep on buying them lottery tickets!.

Junkyards would be great but not many 1960's Chevys in UK junkyards (in fact not many 1960's British cars in British junkyards) LOL

Doug, thanks for the offer, there does seem to be a difference between 67-68 and 69-72 according to GMC pauls website with two seperate parts offered, not sure what the differences are, perhaps someone out there can tell me? I'd be more than happy to pay for the shipping bearing in mind I am in the UK and it may be pricey, let me know if you find it.

Thanks everyone

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 06:28 AM   #5
69 Short Fleet

Hmmm, I didnt know there was a difference in the rear harness (interesting). I'll keep my eyes peeled, Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote